News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Proper settings when using the 202 in bridge mode before router?

Started by Studly, May 02, 2018, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 08:29:27 AM

Also outgoing calls on Google Voice works but incoming calls do not ring.

So the above statement you made in your third post is not true?

drgeoff

Does the echo test work?  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it answer and can you hear your own voice coming back to you?

Studly

Quote from: Taoman on May 03, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 08:29:27 AM

Also outgoing calls on Google Voice works but incoming calls do not ring.

So the above statement you made in your third post is not true?

Yes, it is no longer true. I've found while testing this since moving the Obi behind the router, things don't work consistently over time. Also, I was testing both lines from the same phone (i.e., pressing **2 to call out on the other line), and I realized I probably shouldn't be doing that since it complicates things.

Studly

Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
Does the echo test work?  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it answer and can you hear your own voice coming back to you?

Yes, the echo test works on both outgoing lines (GV and Voip.ms).

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 01:30:51 PM

That is nonsense.  When you dial **9 222 222 222 the echo test does not use either GV or Voip.ms.

Studly

Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2018, 01:36:20 PM
Does the echo test work?  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it answer and can you hear your own voice coming back to you?

That is nonsense.  When you dial **9 222 222 222 the echo test does not use either GV or Voip.ms.

Ok, but when I dialed out on each phone connected to each line in the Obi, the echo test worked.

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 01:38:13 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2018, 01:36:20 PM
Does the echo test work?  Dial **9 222 222 222.  Does it answer and can you hear your own voice coming back to you?

That is nonsense.  When you dial **9 222 222 222 the echo test does not use either GV or Voip.ms.

Ok, but when I dialed out on each phone connected to each line in the Obi, the echo test worked.
You don't understand how OBis work.  A phone port is not rigidly assigned to a Voice Service.  Either phone port can make a call on any of the Voice Services.  No matter which phone port you use, when you dial **9 followed by 9 digits the call goes to an Obihai server, not via any of your other Voice Services.

Anyway, that the echo test worked means there is no need for further investigation on that tack.

Studly

You don't understand how OBis work.  A phone port is not rigidly assigned to a Voice Service.  Either phone port can make a call on any of the Voice Services.  No matter which phone port you use, when you dial **9 followed by 9 digits the call goes to an Obihai server, not via any of your other Voice Services.

Anyway, that the echo test worked means there is no need for further investigation on that tack.

Gotcha. Sorry, I stated it wrong.

To provide an update and confuse matters more, after more test calls, recent outgoing calls from both lines started working again just now. But I'm sure that won't be the case long term. Before I posted on this forum, I thought I had it working correctly for a full day, but then suddenly either certain calls wouldn't ring in when people called  or dialing out didn't work.

Studly

Update for today: I'm having problems with incoming calls again to GV, which are then forwarded to CallCentric. So it seems both outgoing and incoming calls may work for a while and then one or the other doesn't work again for a while. It's really sporadic.

Since nothing else has worked, I'd like to try putting the Obi in front of the router again, in bridge mode, but wanted to double check the correct settings and connections. Not sure I did it correctly when I tried it previously.

Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2018, 12:53:21 PM

In bridge mode the two ethernet ports on an OBi202 behave identically.

So if both ports on the Obi work the same in bridge mode, should it work for me to connect either port to my modem and the other port to the downstream router? Other than doing the phone keypad commands to put my Obi in bridge mode, are there any other settings I need to change to make the Obi work properly in bridge mode?

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 04, 2018, 06:56:56 AM
So if both ports on the Obi work the same in bridge mode, should it work for me to connect either port to my modem and the other port to the downstream router? Other than doing the phone keypad commands to put my Obi in bridge mode, are there any other settings I need to change to make the Obi work properly in bridge mode?
No you cannot do that.

In bridge mode the OBi202 is a 3 port ethernet switch.  Two ports are the ethernet jacks and the third one is the internal connection to 202's VoiP stuff.

You can only connect one ethernet address to most modems.  You use a router, not a switch, to use more than one.  That is basic IP networking, not a limitation of the OBi202.

Studly

Thanks again for educating me on the Obi.  :)

Are there any newer models of the Obi that don't limit you in router mode to 30k? If so, which do you recommend?

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 04, 2018, 09:06:27 AM
Thanks again for educating me on the Obi.  :)

Are there any newer models of the Obi that don't limit you in router mode to 30k? If so, which do you recommend?
You DO NOT NEED router mode.  The OBi100, 110 and 200 do not have a router mode and thousands of people have been using them successfully for years.  Use the T-Mobile/Asus router to do the routing and forget that the 202 has router mode.

The option 3 right back at the early stages of this thread should work. 

GPz1100

Quote from: drgeoff on May 04, 2018, 09:02:00 AM
annot do that.

In bridge mode the OBi202 is a 3 port ethernet switch.  Two ports are the ethernet jacks and the third one is the internal connection to 202's VoiP stuff.

You can only connect one ethernet address to most modems.  You use a router, not a switch, to use more than one.  That is basic IP networking, not a limitation of the OBi202.

Do you have some special version of the 202 with 3 ethernet ports?

drgeoff

@GPz1100

Either your reading or comprehension is below par.

GPz1100

Indeed.....

# ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
2: unm: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:00:4d:52:56:4c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc htb qlen 1000
    link/ether 9c:ad:ef:xx:yy:zz brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.10.3.103/24 brd 10.10.3.255 scope global eth1
4: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 9c:ad:ef:x2:y2:z2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
    inet 192.168.10.1/24 brd 192.168.10.255 scope global br0

Taking a page out of Steve's book eh?

Output from ssh'ing into the obi202.  There's no 3 ports.  Two interface and a bridge.. I've yet to hear a bridge called a switch.... Albeit a bridge consists of interfaces, virtual or real.

drgeoff

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 04, 2018, 01:26:54 PM
Indeed.....

# ip addr show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
2: unm: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:00:4d:52:56:4c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc htb qlen 1000
    link/ether 9c:ad:ef:xx:yy:zz brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.10.3.103/24 brd 10.10.3.255 scope global eth1
4: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
5: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
    inet 192.168.10.1/24 brd 192.168.10.255 scope global br0

Taking a page out of Steve's book eh?

Output from ssh'ing into the obi202.  There's no 3 ports.  Two interface and a bridge.. I've yet to hear a bridge called a switch.... Albeit a bridge consists of interfaces, virtual or real.
What I wrote was perfectly clear.  If you still want to argue, go to the Admin Guide and search for "IP Routing and LAN Switching Features (OBi202 and OBi302 Only)".  Read the two line paragraph.

Studly

Just an update to my ongoing problem getting my phone lines to work once consistently once I moved my Obi202 after my router.

Well, good news, I think I have the problem solved! Thought I'd try a new ethernet cable to connect the Obi and router to, and for good measure, I also used a different LAN port on the router. Now everything has worked great for about 3 days. Thanks for everyone's help and assistance on that and assuring me it should work with the Obi behind the router.

However, I do have a new minor problem now. When I'm on a call, it knocks out my internet connection on my PC that is also connected via ethernet to the router. (It doesn't impact other devices that are connected via wifi.) As a reminder, I have the Asus TM-AC1900 router, with stock firmware. The only change I made to the router settings was to set it so the Obi has an assigned IP address, as suggested earlier in this thread. Any suggestions on what other router settings I can tweak to fix this new problem?

drgeoff

Check that the static IP address you gave the OBi was not already assigned elsewhere.

Studly

Quote from: drgeoff on May 07, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
Check that the static IP address you gave the OBi was not already assigned elsewhere.

Ok, the call problems have come back on by Obi202. GV is working fine but now I have sporadic problems calling out on Voip.ms. Since I'm a novice when it comes to router (and Obi) settings, I did some more research, watched a Youtube video on how to assign static IP addresses and double check them. I found out that when I did it previously, I did it wrong. In fact, my LAN connected PC did have the same IP as the Obi. So maybe that is what has been causing problems. Also, my MAC address is coming up the same for the Obi and my PC. So only one will show up in my network connections on my Asus router control panel. So I manually typed in the Mac address of my Obi device and assigned a new IP address to it, then after saving and rebooting everything, my router doesn't find my Obi.

Is there some setting on the Obi or on a router where it clones the Mac address? I seem to remember a few years back posting some questions in this forum about a problem I was having and someone recommended doing something with the Mac address settings. Where would I find these settings on the Obi? Or could it be a setting on my Asus TM-AC1900 router?

Studly

Another update. I found where the Mac Clone setting is on my Obi202: Router Configuration -> WAN Settings -> MACAddressClone :

Nothing was entered in that blank and there was a check mark under Obitalk Settings. However when I unchecked that Obitalk Settings box, as if I wanted to enter something, then it showed the Mac address of my PC in that blank, as I entered it a few years ago when I was trying to fix another problem using help from this forum (see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29239119- if you're interested in that old thread).  I've completely deleted that Mac address and resaved and rechecked Obitalk Settings for MacAddressClone and now the address doesn't come back when I uncheck both boxes.

Anyway, now I have to reboot and retest. Will report back on if that fixes the problem.