News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't turn off Mac Cloning on my Obi202

Started by Studly, May 07, 2018, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studly

A few years ago, on my Obi202 when I was using it in front of my router, I was having problems and someone on these forums recommended I use Mac Cloning and set it to my PC's Mac address. So I did this in the following screen:

Router Configuration -> WAN Settings -> MACAddressClone : (my PC's MAC address).

Later I turned off that setting, deleted that address and reverted to Obitalk Settings for the MacAddressClone field, which kept it blank. I kept the Obi in front of my router and it worked well, for the most part, for several years.

Fast forward a few years and I've now moved my Obi so it's after my router (so it doesn't throttle my internet speed at 30meg). I've set up a static IP address through my Asus TM-AC1900 router for my Obi. However, I've experienced call problems and realized, from checking my router control panel, that my PC connected to the router and the Obi are still sharing my PC's Mac address.

I've gone back to the Obi's MacAddressClone settings, made sure it was still blank, resaved, rebooted and it didn't make a difference. The Obi is still using my PC's Mac address. I've tried checking the default device settings box for MacAddressClone and resaving and I've clicked the Obitalk Settings box and resaved everything.

Despite all that, my Obi is still using the PC's Mac address. Seems to me that it must be a bug in the Obi. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the Obi to use it's actual Mac address, which does show properly in the Obi's Device Configuration page in the Expert Configuration portal.

Any advice would be appreciated!

drgeoff

Do you fully appreciate that you must configure your OBi either via the portal at obitalk.com or, after disabling Obitalk provisioning, via the local web GUI?  Not both.

Studly

Quote from: drgeoff on May 07, 2018, 02:23:31 PM
1.  Do you fully appreciate that you must configure your OBi either via the portal at obitalk.com or, after disabling Obitalk provisioning, via the local web GUI?  Not both.

2.  I don't have an OBi202 to verify this but I expect that if you put the OBi202 into bridge mode, your MAC woes will be gone.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just use the Obitalk portal for making changest to my Obi202.

Actually, I just retried putting a check in the "Device Default" box for the MacAddressClone line, resaving and rebooting. For whatever reason, it worked this time and now the Obi is showing up on my router with the correct Mac address. I'll keep monitoring it to see if it stays.

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 07, 2018, 02:30:20 PM..resaving and rebooting.
Maybe it is just your sloppy way of saying it but when using the portal you do not resave and reboot.

When using the portal's Expert mode you click 'Submit' and click 'OK'  The reboot happens automatically.

When configuring locally you click 'Submit', click 'OK', then click 'Reboot'.

Studly

Quote from: drgeoff on May 07, 2018, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: Studly on May 07, 2018, 02:30:20 PM..resaving and rebooting.
Maybe it is just your sloppy way of saying it but when using the portal you do not resave and reboot.

When using the portal's Expert mode you click 'Submit' and click 'OK'  The reboot happens automatically.

When configuring locally you click 'Submit', click 'OK', then click 'Reboot'.

Yes, I did as you said in Expert mode, and then unplugged the Obi and replugged it in after doing the same reboot for the modem and router, just for good measure.