News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 operation unreliable since May 2018

Started by NoObiKnObi, July 03, 2018, 11:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoObiKnObi

Interesting. Blows my theory however. OK, let's keep trying stuff and let me know please if you have any success. So far, it seems you and I are the only ones with this issue. Somehow I'm not ready to throw in the towel and replace my OBi200. You are probably right that it is a firmware edge condition but who knows when that will get resolved.

SteveInWA

I suggested earlier that you take your OBi somewhere else and see if the problem follows the OBi, or stays with your original location.  You said it would be "difficult".  Rather than waste time trying to guess, why not just do it?  Unless you are Ted Kaczynski, you have some friends or neighbors who would be willing to help.

NoObiKnObi

Point taken Steve. OK maybe time for a refresher course in human relations and I'll give that a go ;).

Marie

Me too. Got an email from Obi that my service was not registering. I have no idea what that means. But, I cannot call out or in but I did get emails that I had missed called to the Obi.
My third light to the right (phone) is not lit.
Not sure what to do?
Marie

NoObiKnObi

Yup! That's the exact issue hamfastgamgee and I are having. I assume your OBI is no longer under warranty? What router are you using?

The fix that seems to be working for me is to power on my router and let it boot completely, then power on the OBI.  This has been working for the last couple of weeks but I don't get all that many calls (I must be related to Ted Kaczynski, as Steve points out).  Time will tell if this is a viable solution.  I suggest trying that. A soft reset, either via the admin menu or by dialing ***91 will get the third light to go back on and the OBI will function but it's always a question of for how long that will last.

Let us know please how that works for you.   

Raziel68

Does anyone get a "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden" in the sp1 using google voice.  The box seems to run fine (echo test). Green light on the device config page too...???

ProfTech

This is kind of old information but since I reported an issue with 5797 to Polycom in July and there have been numerous issues with Google Voice [we don't use Google Voice] I decided to post again. Polycom loaded 5898EX into our Obi 200 a day or two after I reported the issue with 5797 and I thought we were out of the woods. But a week or two ago I noticed that Callcentric was not registering on the correct port. If you use dns_srv [and we do] the Obi is supposed to pick the correct port up from the dns_srv packet. This works on all my 100 series and on another Obi 200 that Polycom has not updated. I reported it to Polycom and they emailed me back and said "Pay us the $10 and we'll think about taking a look." I'm going to try resetting to factory defaults first. Callcentric reported they have heard other reports of firmware updates corrupting things. I had another 200 that had a weird problem that a reset to factory defaults corrected.

zorlac

I'm not really sure if this is the right thread for this post but tonight for the third time in about the past two weeks the right most green led goes off on my obi200 and we can't receive any calls. "SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)" GV configured on SP1 & 2.
I've power cycled and it comes right back.
It unfortunately seems like more than a fluke at this point since nothing else has changed.
I'll try the ***91 next time it happens since it's easier than reaching behind it for the power plug.
Wifey was a tad PO'd when the phone didn't ring for an important call.  :o :P ;)

SteveInWA

Next time this happens, before you reboot the OBi 200, sign into the OBiTALK portal, and look at the status of the Google Voice SP or SPs.  That will at least provide a hint as to whether the device lost its registration with the Google Voice SIP servers.

NoObiKnObi

Steve, I just sent Polycomm an email to look at this thread because others besides me are having the same problem. I suggested that rather than push service contracts as a solution they might look into a firmware update. My workaround above, namely power cycle the OBI after the router finishes its boot procedure seems to be restoring stable operation for me.  Your suggestion is good, and I'll check that as well when I get a chance. Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: NoObiKnObi on September 10, 2018, 08:17:46 PM
Steve, I just sent Polycomm an email to look at this thread because others besides me are having the same problem. I suggested that rather than push service contracts as a solution they might look into a firmware update. My workaround above, namely power cycle the OBI after the router finishes its boot procedure seems to be restoring stable operation for me.  Your suggestion is good, and I'll check that as well when I get a chance. Thanks.

That's nice, but why not perform my test already?  It's been weeks.  At least, you'd be able to point the finger at your particular LAN configuration vs. whatever other site you use to test it.

NoObiKnObi

I understand Steve, but it seems that others with completely different environments are having the identical problem that I'm having. I've already spent hours getting to the solution that I found which seems to be working for me, and I think others. I could go to greater testing efforts for further characterization for PolyCom but my time for this is limited and I think there are enough additional data points here for PolyCom to work with such that the ball is appropriately in their court. Let's see how they respond.... 

hamfastgamgee

I actually seem to be experiencing an issue where one of the following two things will happen:

1) The green light dies, and I have to power cycle the Obi after leaving it unplugged for some time.
2) The Obi will randomly revert back to 5896 from 5898EX.  Once it reboots, it'll get 5898EX again and fix itself.

To say it's annoying would be a massive understatement. :)

howardjeffrey

I have been using Obihai for ~7 yrs. now, first the 110, then the 200 for the last couple years, with Google Voice.
I have also set up these devices for numerous folks, also for use exclusively w/GV.
I have had virtually no problems that were not user error, firmware update, or product failure related.

That has dramatically changed since sometime in the spring: the most persistent problem now is that incoming calls are lost after the 3rd or 4th ring.
This happens with two other people whose Obihai 200 I setup.
I have checked all possible settings on the Obitalk dashboard & w/GV: no problems there.

The clearest indication that the problem is w/Obihai firmware: if I dial the other Obihai 200 devices directly (using **9) the same problem presents with 4 to 5 rings, and I then get my own voicemail (not the voicemail of the person I am calling).

Current firmware is 3.2.2.5898

SteveInWA

Quote from: howardjeffrey on September 28, 2018, 05:52:18 PM
I have been using Obihai for ~7 yrs. now, first the 110, then the 200 for the last couple years, with Google Voice.
I have also set up these devices for numerous folks, also for use exclusively w/GV.
I have had virtually no problems that were not user error, firmware update, or product failure related.

That has dramatically changed since sometime in the spring: the most persistent problem now is that incoming calls are lost after the 3rd or 4th ring.
This happens with two other people whose Obihai 200 I setup.
I have checked all possible settings on the Obitalk dashboard & w/GV: no problems there.

The clearest indication that the problem is w/Obihai firmware: if I dial the other Obihai 200 devices directly (using **9) the same problem presents with 4 to 5 rings, and I then get my own voicemail (not the voicemail of the person I am calling).

Current firmware is 3.2.2.5898

Nobody, as far as I can recall, has ever reported that problem.  It's not firmware-related.  If you dial **9 to call another OBi, you can't possibly get to voicemail; there is no voicemail for the OBiTALK service.

You have a user error in setup.

howardjeffrey

Wow! SteveInWA, you seem to know my experience better than me!
I have checked everything & repeated the problem three times.
But, I guess you know better.

drgeoff

Quote from: howardjeffrey on September 28, 2018, 05:52:18 PMif I dial the other Obihai 200 devices directly (using **9) the same problem presents with 4 to 5 rings, and I then get my own voicemail (not the voicemail of the person I am calling).
I don't think you are going to dispute OBis not having voicemail so doesn't that make you ask yourself "What voicemail system?"

azrobert

Quote from: howardjeffrey on September 28, 2018, 05:52:18 PM

Post the call history of both devices after making an **9 call.

To access Call History:
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser and hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
Click Status on the left column then click Call History.