News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Send email notification when Obi is down?

Started by anshuman26, August 23, 2011, 02:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anshuman26

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is any way to setup such that I get an email notification when my Obi gets disconnected from the Obi network.

This would be useful because, at times, Obi disconnects from the network and I don't realize it till I try to make a call, etc.

Anshuman

anshuman26

RonR

Quote from: anshuman26 on August 23, 2011, 02:37:56 PM
This would be useful because, at times, Obi disconnects from the network and I don't realize it till I try to make a call, etc.

The OBi does not provide the feature you are looking for.

Your OBi should not be disconnecting from the network.  I've been using OBi's since February and they never disconnect from the network and are always available to make and receive calls.

anshuman26

Yes, I understand. I don't blame Obi but sometimes, due to a faulty router, etc, the Obi loses its DHCP connection to the router.....

I will not realize that till I actually try to make a call. But if there was a notification system, then it would be nice to get an email / sms notification for the disconnect....

It's no big deal, but was wondering if there was any sort of API for this....

thanks Ron....

LeftRight

I don't think there is such a dev api exposed, but you may check the device status on OBiTALK web portal for this purpose (assume your device has been added into your OBiTALK account).

RonR

Quote from: LeftRight on September 02, 2011, 05:41:28 PM
I don't think there is such a dev api exposed, but you may check the device status on OBiTALK web portal for this purpose (assume your device has been added into your OBiTALK account).

You'd get a *whole* lot more accurate status indication by logging into the OBi itself than you would logging into the OBiTALK Web Portal.

tome

Pingdom(.com) can perform various tests (tcp, udp, http), port forward to the Obi from your router and let Pingdom tell you when the Obi has dropped off the network from the outside world.

I use the free version to ping a single host that I want to track, but Pingdom can do more than just ping.
Tom