News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice not forwarding to all my forwarding phones

Started by restamp, May 09, 2018, 03:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restamp

I have a Google Voice number which I am using as Google intended:  I have given the number out to friends and have programmed all my home and cell numbers into it.  It is my reach-me-anywhere number and it used to work fine:  It used to ring all the forwarded numbers simultaneously and direct the call to whichever one picked up first.

Lately, though, I've been getting complaints that I never answer the phone, and the forwarding phones' CDRs bear this out:  It appears Google is simply not ringing all my phones all the time.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  Frankly, I haven't allowed the beta firmware on my OBis yet because I was thinking that for reliability reasons it was best to stick with the tried-and-true, but now I'm not so sure.  It sounds like some people are having problems with the beta software but it appears overall pretty solid.

What do people think?  Is the new protocol mature enough to trust, especially if (as I understand) once it is loaded it cannot be backed out?  And also, what are the chances it will solve my problem?

SteveInWA

There is no "beta" firmware now.  The firmware that is being pushed out this week is the "real thing" production firmware.  If things go according to plan, you have about 5 weeks before your devices stop working with Google Voice, unless you enable remote provisioning and your devices are properly added to the OBiTALK web portal, so that the new firmware is pushed to your device(s).

Issues with calls forwarding calls to non-OBi devices (i.e. regular telephone numbers) is unrelated to the OBi firmware.  You might just have some sort of configuration error, or one or more of your linked forwarding numbers is grabbing the call before the others can do so.  You can troubleshoot this via a process of elimination:  delete every single linked forwarding number off of your Google Voice configuration on:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Then, add back just one linked number, preferably a standard mobile phone number with one of the "big four" mobile carriers, and enable conditional call forwarding on that mobile number to send busy or unanswered calls back to your Google Voice number.  Have some callers try calling your GV number, and see what happens.  If every call is successfully forwarded to your mobile number, and CCF is successfully sending unanswered or busy calls back to your GV voicemail, then move on to adding one more linked number, lather, rinse and repeat.

Taoman

Quote from: restamp on May 09, 2018, 03:11:17 PM
Frankly, I haven't allowed the beta firmware on my OBis yet because I was thinking that for reliability reasons it was best to stick with the tried-and-true, but now I'm not so sure.  It sounds like some people are having problems with the beta software but it appears overall pretty solid.

As Steve said, the updated firmware is not "beta." I've been using it for the last 3 days on 2 different OBi devices without issue.

You can look at the Call Status directly on your OBi during a call and see your MOS. My MOS is now consistently 4.44 on both devices whereas before it never got above 4.2 (max is 5.0). Call quality is measurably improved.

restamp

Thanks guys.  Nothing has changed on my end in months.  I was thinking more along the lines of Google shifting resources from the XMPP POPs to those supporting the new protocol -- What is its official name anyway? -- and in the process leaving the XMPP side with a shortage of resources.

A couple questions:

+ If I do upgrade to the new protocol, will XMPP continue to be usable on that number until June 18th?  (I still have some Asterisk servers using it.)

+ I currently have the OBiTALK provisioning interface turned off.  I followed azrobert's script for importing my current environment into OBiTALK from a backup (xml file).  If I turn OBiTALK on to upgrade the firmware and for some reason the current configuration is corrupted, can I restore it from the above xml file using the OBi's browser interface?

TIA

SteveInWA

Quote from: restamp on May 09, 2018, 07:37:14 PM
Thanks guys.  Nothing has changed on my end in months.  I was thinking more along the lines of Google shifting resources from the XMPP POPs to those supporting the new protocol -- What is its official name anyway? -- and in the process leaving the XMPP side with a shortage of resources.

A couple questions:

+ If I do upgrade to the new protocol, will XMPP continue to be usable on that number until June 18th?  (I still have some Asterisk servers using it.)

+ I currently have the OBiTALK provisioning interface turned off.  I followed azrobert's script for importing my current environment into OBiTALK from a backup (xml file).  If I turn OBiTALK on to upgrade the firmware and for some reason the current configuration is corrupted, can I restore it from the above xml file using the OBi's browser interface?

TIA

No, and no.  Just rip off the band-aid and get it over with.

There is no "shortage of resources".  There is now a very large infrastructure that can simultaneously support all forms of calling:  PSTN, or VoIP via the desktop web page UI, and via the Google Voice mobile apps for Android or iOS, and all 200-series, 1000-series and 2000-series products.  They are not converting one XMPP server at at a time to become a SIP server.  They built an entirely new infrastructure with new servers.  The old stuff will simply be shut down and either re-purposed or recycled.  There are hundreds of these servers, in locations around the country for load balancing and hop-reducing purposes.

dircom

Under Auto Firmware Update
there are 4 choices
Disabled
System Start
Periodically
Time of Day

Does it matter which of the last three you choose?  I have a little red exclamation mark to the right of my choice