Firmware 5859EX On OBI 200 Has Killed My Cordless Phone System To Leave Messages

Started by graybeard47, May 12, 2018, 04:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybeard47

Mid last week, suddenly my incoming calls were being screened by some sort of change that I never had before and the answering machine not being allowed to take any messages. A search of the internet quickly solved in stopping the call screening  but did not resolve the answering machine issue and found this posted on the Google Voice Forum:

"Update: 03/30/18: I wanted to close the loop on this issue by providing another update. Obi Support has resolved the answering machine issue with a firmware update. They pushed a beta version (v5801) to my Obi200 that included the fix. I confirmed that after reverting back all changes, including the most recent T38Reinvite setting above, the answering machine was functioning properly with the new beta firmware.
After testing the beta firmware for more than 8 weeks without issue, I updated my Obi200 device using the generally available firmware v5804. I've been using v5804 for three days without issue. All firmware versions including v5804 and after should include the fix. The following is an excerpt from the v5804 release notes:
•Some answering machines emit a beep of around 1100Hz lasting 0.5 seconds. This resembles one cycle of the fax CNG tone, triggering the OBi to switch to fax mode. If T.38 is enabled, this might cause the call to drop"

The above is exactly what is happing to me and apparently the Firmware Version 5859EX now in my 200 is not carrying forward placed in the older version 5804, 5801.

As I do not know what the last firmware version was on my system before the issues, I need to downgrade the firmware to versions 5801 or 5804; However, I have had no success in finding a source to download either and the proper steps to replace the newer firmware  with an older one without it reverting back on a reboot.

I am very anxious for the road to fix it.

Thank you

SteveInWA

Quote from: graybeard47 on May 12, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
Mid last week, suddenly my incoming calls were being screened by some sort of change that I never had before and the answering machine not being allowed to take any messages. A search of the internet quickly solved in stopping the call screening  but did not resolve the answering machine issue and found this posted on the Google Voice Forum:

"Update: 03/30/18: I wanted to close the loop on this issue by providing another update. Obi Support has resolved the answering machine issue with a firmware update. They pushed a beta version (v5801) to my Obi200 that included the fix. I confirmed that after reverting back all changes, including the most recent T38Reinvite setting above, the answering machine was functioning properly with the new beta firmware.
After testing the beta firmware for more than 8 weeks without issue, I updated my Obi200 device using the generally available firmware v5804. I've been using v5804 for three days without issue. All firmware versions including v5804 and after should include the fix. The following is an excerpt from the v5804 release notes:
•Some answering machines emit a beep of around 1100Hz lasting 0.5 seconds. This resembles one cycle of the fax CNG tone, triggering the OBi to switch to fax mode. If T.38 is enabled, this might cause the call to drop"

The above is exactly what is happing to me and apparently the Firmware Version 5859EX now in my 200 is not carrying forward placed in the older version 5804, 5801.

As I do not know what the last firmware version was on my system before the issues, I need to downgrade the firmware to versions 5801 or 5804; However, I have had no success in finding a source to download either and the proper steps to replace the newer firmware  with an older one without it reverting back on a reboot.

I am very anxious for the road to fix it.

Thank you

Don't downgrade.  If Obihai helped you with this issue once, just contact them again and report that the firmware reverted back to having this error, and whatever they fixed in the build that worked, now needs to be (re) applied to the new firmware, going forward.  You already diagnosed the issue for them, so let them fix it.

chilirock

Quote from: graybeard47 on May 12, 2018, 04:35:29 PM

Hi graybeard47, I was the one who posted the original answering machine issue and subsequent updates. I can confirm that at least for me v5859EX appears to include the fixes implemented in v5801 and forward. My answering machine working properly with the latest firmware version and all of the default codec settings.

What brand answering machine do you have? Have you made any other adjustments to your device settings? Who is your service provider?

Webslinger

Quote from: chilirock on May 13, 2018, 05:41:38 PM

Hi graybeard47, I was the one who posted the original answering machine issue and subsequent updates. I can confirm that at least for me v5859EX appears to include the fixes implemented in v5801 and forward. My answering machine working properly with the latest firmware version and all of the default codec settings.

So, it works for you with both fax event and T.38Enable on and with T38Reinvite set to "caller or callee"?

chilirock

Quote from: Webslinger on May 14, 2018, 04:53:10 AM
So, it works for you with both fax event and T.38Enable on and with T38Reinvite set to "caller or callee"?
Webslinger, yes, T.38Enable  = checked, and T38Reinvite = "caller or callee". I did not change the Fax Event setting. It looks like that is disabled in the default configuration. I didn't change it.

graybeard47

I sent Obi Support an email on 5/12 as was suggested but no response as of this moment. My cordless handset base that has the answering machine is AT&T. On the Obi unit I have made no adjustments. AT&T is my ISP provider.

May 2 is when the phone and answering machine became useless. My incoming calls were all being screened with Google Voice. In checking my settings here, the screening application was on that was never before set by myself; All my calls when picked up could not be answered as instructed to accept on any of the handsets . My cordless handset base also has a screening option but was already set on off. At least I can answer a call if picked up by the 5th ring before Google Voice just hangs up.

Since my Obi unit is way past the automatic update purchase period, I do not understand how v5859EX was put in place. I however did see some mention that OBI was still able to force this update for their own reason.

graybeard47

Update on my 5/14 post contacting Obi Support and their reply: pay $10 thru Amazon by clicking "Support and Warranty" tab in my Obi's configuration page and then they'll take interest into the matter.

Will be looking forward to how my answering machine manufacturer and/or ISP provider comes into play?

marklobo

Hi garybeard47, I am having the same issue with firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). Instead of sending the voice mail to answering machine, it is going to GV. Was your issue fixed?

chilirock

marklobo and graybeard47,

Are you saying that the answering machine is not picking up the call at all? If so, that is different than the issue I posted. My issue was the answering machine would pick up the call, but the caller was not able to leave a message. My issue was related to the way the Obi interpreted the answering machine end of message tone. That issue was resolved with v5801.

If your issue is that the call is going to Google Voicemail and the answering machine is not involved, that seems like it could be that the answering machine is waiting too long to pick up the call, e.g. number of rings. How many rings do you have your answering machine set before picking up the call. Normally it's set to 4 or 5. Mine is set to 4.

If your's is set to 4, and your answering machine is still waiting too long, you could try adjusting the ring pattern under Ring Settings>Ring Profile A/B>Ring Pattern 1>RingPattern. Change the value from "60;(2+4)" to something like "60;(2+3.5)". The first value ("2") is the ring time in seconds, the second value ("4") is the wait time between rings. Together 2+4 = 6 seconds is the total time for a single ring cycle.

Depending on your answering machine setting, 5 rings may be too long to wait and Google Voice may pick up. It's possible that even 4 rings may be too long. Setting the value to 2+3.5 would shorten the total time for 4 rings from 24 seconds to 22 seconds. This might be short enough for the answering machine to pick up. Obviously you could shorten it even further if needed.