News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 stopped working

Started by mj56gt, May 14, 2018, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redw00d

Revived, did you d/l the file, and, Follow all instructions? it IS a process...
you have to:

Installation instructions
Open your OBi's web portal by entering its IP address in your web browser. If you don't know your IP address, pick up the phone and dial *** 1. Then go to System Managment, Device Update, Firmware Update.

I found my OBi's IP on my router page...
router 192.168.0.1
my OBi 192.168.0.109
your mileage may vary... good luck

Mango

Quote from: mj56gt on May 15, 2018, 12:01:23 PMWhere are those three pages? Do you mind sharing the source of the instructions? Thanks!

He's probably referring to this: http://www.obifirmware.com/OAuth2/

Note: not compatible with non-XMPP Google Voice.

SteveInWA

The third party firmware is useless.  It will stop working when Google turns off their XMPP servers.

Just bite the bullet and buy a new OBi.  See the cost calculation earlier in this thread.  BFD.

GPz1100

I beg to disagree.  Third party firmware adds in useful features which are missing from the original.

Some of us do value control and privacy over our devices.

In fact, it's come to light that those who had auto updates disabled but left obitalk enabled were pushed (on the 20x series) a firmware upgrade without their knowledge.  Pretty sneaky I'd say.  

I'd hold out to see what develops in the next few weeks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 15, 2018, 02:27:52 PM
Pretty sneaky I'd say.  

Imagine the opposite scenario:  they do nothing.  The day that Google completes the migration, a gazillion users swamp the forums in a rage, that Google Voice stopped working.  Each user has to be told to download and install firmware.  Not a good plan.

azrobert

I'd hold out to see what develops in the next few weeks.

This is what the developer of the 3rd party firmware said:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31953201-

I interpret that as it won't happen in the near future and maybe never.

GPz1100

If one can figure out how to disable the ota updates they can surely figure out how to manually update as well.

Further, obi already has contact information for all registered obi devices. Google voice would never work otherwise.  It would be minimal effort to write an email blast script to update device owners with outdated firmware.

Heavy handed tactics like automatically pushing firmware when auto firmware update is disabled doesn't reflect well on the company.

Redw00d

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 15, 2018, 01:48:44 PM
The third party firmware is useless.  It will stop working when Google turns off their XMPP servers.

Just bite the bullet and buy a new OBi.  See the cost calculation earlier in this thread.  BFD.

well, I have a 110 and a 200... 110 Now working thanks to very smart people here..

200 seems Bricked from latest update.. I'm waiting/hoping for a fix..

meantime, 110 works, I have a phone.. life is good, guys , pls keep up the great work you do, a few people prolly write/complain here, I'd guess Dozens for each writer, are either getting things to work, or very frustrated with the system... btw, google is great at announcing things, and, not following thru quickly so, I'm hoping for a long run here.. thanks again to you programmers!

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 15, 2018, 02:39:13 PM
If one can figure out how to disable the ota updates they can surely figure out how to manually update as well.

Further, obi already has contact information for all registered obi devices. Google voice would never work otherwise.  It would be minimal effort to write an email blast script to update device owners with outdated firmware.

Heavy handed tactics like automatically pushing firmware when auto firmware update is disabled doesn't reflect well on the company.

I don't understand why you bash them and call it "heavy handed".  You are looking at things from a hobbyist/VoIP enthusiast perspective.  You are probably one of less than 0.1% of the total user base.  This isn't a Raspberry Pi or PC running a PBX.  The very large majority of customers just want to buy an appliance, hook it up, and keep it working.  Think like a non-techie customer, and you should be able to understand that the very large majority of customers would be screaming and stirring up a shit storm if all their units stopped working at once.  Now, that would not reflect well on a company.

mj56gt

Quote from: Mango on May 15, 2018, 12:40:39 PM
Quote from: mj56gt on May 15, 2018, 12:01:23 PMWhere are those three pages? Do you mind sharing the source of the instructions? Thanks!

He's probably referring to this: http://www.obifirmware.com/OAuth2/

Note: not compatible with non-XMPP Google Voice.

Thanks a lot for the pointer!

After I updated the firmware with 'naf', I was planning to proceed to go though those 3 pages of ATA Manual Configuration. However, I noticed that my Obi110 showed the green light indicating that the device functions well. So, in the end, the firmware update itself was good enough to revive my Obi110.

I guess that I should consider purchasing an Obi2xx soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Marc

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 15, 2018, 02:32:59 PM
Pretty sneaky I'd say.  

Imagine the opposite scenario:  they do nothing.  The day that Google completes the migration, a gazillion users swamp the forums in a rage, that Google Voice stopped working.  Each user has to be told to download and install firmware.  Not a good plan.

You're using common sense....  Sadly it's not common anymore.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

Marc

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 15, 2018, 02:32:59 PM
Pretty sneaky I'd say.  

You're using common sense....  Sadly it's not common anymore.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

Mango

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 15, 2018, 02:27:52 PMIn fact, it's come to light that those who had auto updates disabled but left obitalk enabled were pushed (on the 20x series) a firmware upgrade without their knowledge.  Pretty sneaky I'd say. 

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 15, 2018, 02:32:59 PMImagine the opposite scenario:  they do nothing.

Obviously he's not suggesting they do nothing.  The solution is simple: push the update for those who have the default of auto firmware update enabled, and do nothing for those who have specifically, manually, deliberately disabled it.

This debate resurfaces on this and other forums every time someone discovers this.  I've lost hope that Obihai is going to change their behaviour at this point, but I do find threads of people slowly getting more and more disillusioned quite entertaining.

As for my personal opinion, I think Obihai has fluffed up enough firmware updates that imho, there's more of a risk I'll have an interruption in service with automatic updates than without them. 

DrJay

<Dons asbestos fire protection suit>

Hey, folks! Do a search on eBay for a used OBi100/OBi110. Woah! Some serious cash to be had for one those little gems!

Sell yours and put that cash in a Roth IRA and you'll be sitting pretty come retirement time!

Woot!  8)

<Takes off asbestos fire protection suit>

RFC3261

Quote from: DrJay on May 18, 2018, 09:23:11 AM
Hey, folks! Do a search on eBay for a used OBi100/OBi110.
Alternatively, implement step 2, and buy a bunch of OBi2xx devices(*), waiting for the panic when a number of people(**) who find that the OBi2xx are out of stock everywhere due to the instantaneous demand, and sell them on eBay for a 100% markup.  Profit(***)(****)!

Is there a futures market on OBi2xx devices?

(*) The Hunt brothers may have nothing on you!  Corner the market!

(**) Mostly by those using an alternative firmware with their OBi1xx devices and GV, but there are presumably a bunch of them that are otherwise not following these/other forums once they found a solution.

(***) Only works if the retailers do not have enough stock for the panic purchases of course, but the upside is potentially quite good.

(****) Would not be surprised if a few people do end up selling their (lightly) used (only by grandma on weekends) OBi2xx devices for a quick profit.

triplevvv

Quote from: Redw00d on May 15, 2018, 09:01:50 AM
there are some Amazing people here... want to fix your OBi100? read this thread to the bottom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VOIP/comments/7pl1uh/ongoing_problems_with_obi200_and_google_voice/?st=jh74125b&sh=ed2593e8

I followed directions (was NOT easy for me) did it, works again. So, can we Please STOP saying, the 100's are dead... thank you to those who figgered this out, its WAY over my head!

What I'd really like to know is, what third party firmware have you found that enables an OBi110 to continue to work with Google Voice?

http://obi1.s3-website.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/
I just followed the link and updated, my device is working again, except there is small problem:  dial out doesn't have the ring tone even it is ringing my cell phone, have used my device for long time forgot my first configuration, maybe there is something I need to configure, anyone got any hint?