News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No incoming calls due to removed google Chat

Started by BBearcat, May 15, 2018, 12:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBearcat

Hoping someone can help.

With the recent rollout of of the new Gmail web interface, I was cleaning up my settings in it.  Unfortunately, I forgot that chat needed to be on for OBI 200 to work with Google Voice.

With the Google Chat turned off, I lost the ability to receive incoming calls.  The phone attached to my 200 never rings and I get a missed call notification from GV on my cell phone (I do not have GV set to ring my cell as well).  Outgoing calls are unaffected.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to restore the Google Chat function.  I turned it back on in Gmail, but it does not show up in my GV settings (even in legacy mode).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

zsak23

Do you see OBiTALK Device in Legacy settings?  This is the new way to connect.

BBearcat

Yes, the OBItalk device is listed and the box is checked.

Could something else (other than Chat) be causing the issue with incoming calls.  Outgoing is unaffected.  DND is is not on.

SteveInWA

Quote from: BBearcat on May 15, 2018, 12:40:12 PM
Hoping someone can help.

With the recent rollout of of the new Gmail web interface, I was cleaning up my settings in it.  Unfortunately, I forgot that chat needed to be on for OBI 200 to work with Google Voice.

With the Google Chat turned off, I lost the ability to receive incoming calls.  The phone attached to my 200 never rings and I get a missed call notification from GV on my cell phone (I do not have GV set to ring my cell as well).  Outgoing calls are unaffected.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to restore the Google Chat function.  I turned it back on in Gmail, but it does not show up in my GV settings (even in legacy mode).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Read and carefully follow all the steps listed here:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

BBearcat

Steve,

Thanks.  Still no change (outgoing, but no incoming).

The one thing I didn't do is disable SIP ALG.  I'm on FIOS with he G1100 Quantum Gateway, which apparently won't allow disabling of SIP ALG.  I'm on their TV plan, so switching routers isn't an option.

Any options?  Is this a problem on with GV, i.e. can I switch to some other provider for my 200?

Thanks,
Pat

SteveInWA

Nevermind SIP-ALG.  As it turns out, the service is not impacted by that setting.

Gmail uses Google Hangouts for calling, not Chat.

What firmware build is running on your 200?  Pick up the attached phone, and key in ***0 then 1# and write down the last four digits spoken.

LonnieMcClure

If you have any devices Google Voice is forwarded to other than your Obi box, this could be your issue:

-----

Suddenly whenever anyone called my Google Voice line, my Obi200 would ring once, and then they get "Please leave your message for <my name>" (which isn't my default greeting).

I noted that now under "Phones/settings" for Google Voice (Legacy), under "Forward calls to:", it now has "OBiTALK device - <device#>" instead of "Google Chat". (Nothing about OBiTALK appears under Settings using the updated Google Voice UI).

If I uncheck that, the only difference is that my Obi200 would not ring even the single time, but the caller would still get the same message (instead of my normal greeting) after one ring.

I had no problems calling out, but being able to receive Google Voice calls via my Obi box is the most important function.

NOTED WORKAROUND: I also had Google Voice set to forward to my mobile phone, which is normally turned off. Once I turned it on, both it and the phone attached to my Obi200 rang normally, and I could answer the call. If I didn't answer, the caller got my normal greeting. However, when I powered down that phone again, it reverted to the prior behavior. As I expected, unchecking that mobile phone allowed calls to my Obi200 to ring normally and get the proper greeting if not answered.

This is a change from how Google Voice previously worked with this same setup. I first noted this issue a few days ago, but it may have occurred much earlier.

Even if you normally keep your cell phone on at all times, I suspect the effect would be the same if that cell phone happens to be out of range.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LonnieMcClure on May 21, 2018, 12:08:37 PM
If you have any devices Google Voice is forwarded to other than your Obi box, this could be your issue:

-----

Suddenly whenever anyone called my Google Voice line, my Obi200 would ring once, and then they get "Please leave your message for <my name>" (which isn't my default greeting).

I noted that now under "Phones/settings" for Google Voice (Legacy), under "Forward calls to:", it now has "OBiTALK device - <device#>" instead of "Google Chat". (Nothing about OBiTALK appears under Settings using the updated Google Voice UI).

If I uncheck that, the only difference is that my Obi200 would not ring even the single time, but the caller would still get the same message (instead of my normal greeting) after one ring.

I had no problems calling out, but being able to receive Google Voice calls via my Obi box is the most important function.

NOTED WORKAROUND: I also had Google Voice set to forward to my mobile phone, which is normally turned off. Once I turned it on, both it and the phone attached to my Obi200 rang normally, and I could answer the call. If I didn't answer, the caller got my normal greeting. However, when I powered down that phone again, it reverted to the prior behavior. As I expected, unchecking that mobile phone allowed calls to my Obi200 to ring normally and get the proper greeting if not answered.

This is a change from how Google Voice previously worked with this same setup. I first noted this issue a few days ago, but it may have occurred much earlier.

Even if you normally keep your cell phone on at all times, I suspect the effect would be the same if that cell phone happens to be out of range.

No, you do not need to do any of that, and you should leave alone the SIP forwarding entries.  The service simply works as designed, and, with regard to other forwarding destinations (10-digit telephone numbers), those work as they have for years.

JohnO51

SteveInWA ... I'm another who is having Obi200 & GV problems ...

1) Intermittently, incoming calls make it through and the phone rings, but some of the time they go directly to voicemail without the phone ringing.

2) Outgoing calls intermittently get stalled, receiving the message  "The number you dialed XXX-XXX-XXXX has not received a response from the service provider".

It appears that these two things happen in the same time frame (more or less), but I'm not 100% certain that is consistently the case.

OK, then ... so far I have done the following:

Gone step by step thru your reset/update procedure as listed here:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

my google voice page shows my Google Voice Number "forwards calls to" my Obitalk Device and the box there is checked.
I have no other phones set up to be forwarded to.

I've confirmed that the build # is 5859

As I said, the problem is intermittent, some calls get thru, others don't.
Is there something I have not done, or have done wrong, is there a solution from my end, or is this something that is going to be worked out between Obi and GV (eventually) and I should just grin and bear it in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give.

SteveInWA

Quote from: JohnO51 on May 22, 2018, 08:27:26 AM
SteveInWA ... I'm another who is having Obi200 & GV problems ...

1) Intermittently, incoming calls make it through and the phone rings, but some of the time they go directly to voicemail without the phone ringing.

2) Outgoing calls intermittently get stalled, receiving the message  "The number you dialed XXX-XXX-XXXX has not received a response from the service provider".

It appears that these two things happen in the same time frame (more or less), but I'm not 100% certain that is consistently the case.

OK, then ... so far I have done the following:

Gone step by step thru your reset/update procedure as listed here:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

my google voice page shows my Google Voice Number "forwards calls to" my Obitalk Device and the box there is checked.
I have no other phones set up to be forwarded to.

I've confirmed that the build # is 5859

As I said, the problem is intermittent, some calls get thru, others don't.
Is there something I have not done, or have done wrong, is there a solution from my end, or is this something that is going to be worked out between Obi and GV (eventually) and I should just grin and bear it in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give.

Sorry to hear you're having this symptom.  It typically either works all the time, or not at all.  The intermittent symptom is new, so I don't have a ready answer.

Have you enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/VoIP calling beta?

JohnO51

No, I have not. But I have spent the $10 for Obi Premium Support, hoping that they have a "magic fix" ... tho after having a chat with one of their Sales Consultants due to a glitch with Amazon Payments in trying to set the Premium Support up, I'm not feeling very confident that it's going to be any big help. They advertise it at e-mail and or phone support but it appears that there isn't any phone support,only e-mail. I'm hoping that is not the case, but we'll see. Awaiting to hear back from them but not holding my breath.

If nothing gets resolved in a reasonable time I'm looking at alternative service providers to GV ... this is going on 5 days for me and while it's not absolutely critical, being without phone svc at home is a pain.

Thanks for the response, it's too bad there's no universal resolution to the problem ... but when one is dealing with businesses and "free" it's not a surprise that it's not much of a priority.
I keep looking at new posts here in the forum and if anything shakes loose from the Obi Support People, I'll be sure to stick it on here.

SteveInWA

Sorry I don't have any magic bullets for you.  It would be interesting to do some test calls:  right after you experience an outbound call failure using your OBi device, try making a call to the same phone number from Google Hangouts, on a laptop/desktop computer running Google Chrome Browser, here:  https://hangouts.google.com/

See if the calls work reliably via Hangouts.

feelsgoodman

Bellsr

Same problem here - looks like no solution either. Was hoping I would find a software update to fix this issue.