News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Static when switching back back to original caller after call waiting

Started by managerharry, May 15, 2018, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPz1100

It's July already... No movement on this issue?  Only work around is to disable call waiting??

dazedxxx

Quote from: Marc on May 20, 2019, 06:14:55 PM
Quote from: dazedxxx on May 20, 2019, 05:35:54 PM
Okay been 3 months no response...I would advise nobody to buy extended support.

Time to file with the BBB just for the record.

So you're going to file a complaint because the FREE service Google offers occasionally causes static on an Obi ATA?

That's definitely the way to encourage the continued free offering of GV and to encourage Obi to keep selling and updating their unbelievably cheap devices. <----- Yes, sarcasm.

Yes it would be nice to have a solution to this problem.  I experience some sort of static experience once a week.  But for gods sake, when's the last time you paid a phone bill? It's been more than 10 years for me, so I'll put up with a tiny hiccup every once in a while... which is resolved 100% of the time by calling the person back.

No I filed a complaint about call waiting issue on 2 BRAND NEW devices. They offer paid support (or free for the first year), which I have not got any.

Guess what? They responded to the BBB the same way the support responded to me....NOTHING.

I was forced to upgrade my older obi's that did not have this problem, with 2 new ones that come with free support, and after that you could pay....but why would you. This is also to inform any future people of what to expect if they pay for (or get included the first year) support for an OBI product.

caleecs

I too filed support tickets and left multiple messages for support on new devices (which are supposed to come with support for 1yr) with no response. I too filed a complaint with BBB and they also had no response.

Soulcommander

I posted on Google voice... No word yet...  2 ISSUES I have not been able to use call waiting. The call I have to put on hold never is there when I come back......Just static. This has been going on for over a year and even after getting a New Obi 202 device it still happens. Now add another issue too. The phone rings but I hear nothing and the caller hears nothing. This just started today 7/12/19 However I can call out and it works ok.

magicwine

Same issue here started and reported early summer 2018 or so...no solutions here and no responses from Obi support. How can they just ignore their customers?

Hopefully now I'll get updates on this issue by posting here :-).

Bob

Mindblogging

Let's see...

The OBi device (i.e. OBi200, OBi202, or other OBis)...bought 1-time, gets the following when Google Voice service is added and which Google Voice service is also free:

Outbound/inbound calls are FREE in the US/Canada.
No monthly charges.
No yearly charges.

Free call-forwarding to your cell phone (or others) with Linked numbers so you won't missed important calls.
Free to forward message to your Gmail email account so you can review.
Free get email alerts for missed calls.
You can screen calls before actually talking to the caller.
Send calls to GV voicemail by Do Not Disturb.
Has Voicemail greetings or record your own greetings and also manage greetings if you have multiple greetings.
And overseas calling with rates applied (low cost too).

Once in while a little hiccup, a little static here and there.  "Hey, let me call you back" on this free Google Voice service with my OBi here.  WOW.

And I have multiple OBi devices with Google Voice services and have not paid a phone bill for the last 6 plus years.  Love it!

Paid that monthly phone bill (to Comcast, AT&T, others...?) or pay nothing.  Hmmmm?  Imagine Google Voice service (or Google, or Alphabet) deemed Google Voice service no longer needed and ends the service (again).

Btw, if you have not done so, update your OBi firmware here (free too) http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Thank you.

magicwine

I am grateful to the service...

Point is, it worked fine for a year, year and a half which means the technology was fine...some change was made either by obi or google that caused this...

As an obi customer, they should still reply even if only to say google made a change which caused this and they have attempted to contact Google and what the response was.

Just some human decency and good customer support.

FYI - went to your update link - I cannot see any yellow triangle in my admin - on what tab specifically would I see this?

ShazamInForum

To magicwine,

Go back to that link, select firmware for your OBi device and save to desktop but DO NOT OPEN:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

At phone connected to your OBi device phone port, dial ***1 and retrieve the IP Address on a piece of paper.

Open a browser (Chrome) on a pc, input that IP Address into the address bar, hit Enter at your keyboard.

Log into your OBi device with default username/password as admin/admin (unless you've changed it)

Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.

Browse to the file you downloaded at your desktop and select it.

Click the "Update" button.

Allow up to a minute to complete and will also reboot.

Soulcommander

What happened to the automatic update via dialing directly into the Obi and using the prompts and auto update feature? When I check it that way it says that I am up to date although I see the file available is a newer file then what my device is using. To reply to the comment of the other poster who was being sarcastic about the service being free etc etc it's not that I or anybody else doesn't appreciate Google Voice being free it's just that it used to work and all of a sudden it doesn't now and you just kind of wonder what is going on.

sir_rob

I am experiencing the same static problems.  Any updates would be greatly appreciated!  I only noticed problems with mine within about the last 4 months.

I have helped so many people buy and set up these devices, that I am now worried.  I will hold off recommending these units until a fix is released. 

flamaest@gmail.com

Quick update, it's only been a few days, but I simply tried to replace my Obi200 power supply and I believe that the issue is now gone. I wouldn't have believed that my power supply could have been causing this, but it appears that it was related. I was previously having my calls dropped-with-static about 4 or 5 times a day.

Marc

From where did you get the replacement power supply?

Quote from: flamaest@gmail.com on November 18, 2019, 01:11:04 PM
Quick update, it's only been a few days, but I simply tried to replace my Obi200 power supply and I believe that the issue is now gone. I wouldn't have believed that my power supply could have been causing this, but it appears that it was related. I was previously having my calls dropped-with-static about 4 or 5 times a day.

OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

flamaest@gmail.com

I always have a backup obi unit sealed in the box just in case, and I pulled the power adapter and plugged it in, replacing the one that I had already been using for over a year.

SteveInWA

Marc:

I have tested and confirmed that this power supply works fine with the 200 and 2000 families.  I don't have any 1000 series phones anymore, but this adapter should also work, since it's rated at 2A.

https://www.amazon.com/Chanzon-Switching-Adapter-100-240V-Transformer/dp/B07HNL5D56

Marc

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 19, 2019, 12:54:16 PM
Marc:

I have tested and confirmed that this power supply works fine with the 200 and 2000 families.  I don't have any 1000 series phones anymore, but this adapter should also work, since it's rated at 2A.

https://www.amazon.com/Chanzon-Switching-Adapter-100-240V-Transformer/dp/B07HNL5D56

Thanks.  I'll pick one up and let you know if it works with the 1000 series phones, I have a few of them still in use.

Marc
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

flamaest@gmail.com

Quick update,

I can say that with this 2nd power supply, the issue is happening about 80% less than usual.   I usually have about the same amount of phone calls throughout the day.

This issue has historically been happening for me for about 6 months, making me have to restart the OBI200 unit about five times a day.

I now only have to restart it about once a day.  Then again, it might just be good luck.

Dmatter

Edit: so I changed my flash button timing on my Panasonic cordless phone from 700ms to 400ms and it been working fine now.

Edit: Issue is still sporadic but it works at least half the time now.    

Changing the power supply worked for me as well! My original was a 12v DC 1 amp and I just switched it with an old netgear router PS that is 12v DC 1.5 amp. I have the obi 202 and it worked fine for a long time and about 6 months ago the loud static crap started.

Thank you so much for this fix!! Been way to long with call waiting and 3 way calling not working.

Obi/Poly, step up your power supply game! and tell your customers to replace the power supply. Better yet, send them a new power supply.

Thanks again!!

bbarker

I tried swapping for a 2A power supply and got static on my first call.  My situation may be a bit different because I get static when my call first connects to a one person that uses Comcast phone service.

flamaest@gmail.com

Yes, I also still get this issue when calling a specific conf-line from certain service providers, even after using the new power supply. There must be some signal or timing being sent to the OBI unit which is does not like and causes it to transmit static back into our ears.  I can confirm the other side of the call can still hear me OK, but I cannot hear them, so I have to hang up.

Sadly, I can reproduce this exact issue about 90% of the time to these specific phone numbers.

The one saving grace with the new power supply, is that I used to get static after being a long phone call , like 20 minutes+, out of nowhere to all kinds of phone numbers. This only happens rarely now.

bbarker

Quote from: flamaest@gmail.com on December 19, 2019, 04:18:28 PM
Sadly, I can reproduce this exact issue about 90% of the time to these specific phone numbers.
One thing I've found that works 100% of the time is starting the call from Google Voice and not dialing it.  Sadly, I'm not able to select my Obi line directly any more.  The only reason I can still do this is because I have one GV number forwarded to another from back when it was still a regular land line.