News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Static when switching back back to original caller after call waiting

Started by managerharry, May 15, 2018, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesonline

Same here. Static and drop on call waiting and sometimes static and drop mid call, without call waiting.

SteveInWA

Google and Polycom are still investigating this problem.  There is no estimate of when it will be fixed.

zapattack

Frustratingly  random.
First OG call in morning, hold, static.
Next calls, hold, no static.
Next day first call, no static.
Hour later, static.

zorlac

Not a fluke.
I dial a "Consumer Cellular" cell phone # in NJ, the guy picks up, I hear the dreaded static, he hears nothing.
He immediately calls me back, no problems.
Consistently repeatable and quite annoying.  >:(
At this time it seems to be the only number that this happens with consistently.

Would it be worth it to manually flash my obi200 from 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) to 3.2.2 (5921EX) and see if it helps?  ???

SteveInWA

Quote from: zorlac on November 05, 2018, 11:03:54 AM
Not a fluke.
I dial a "Consumer Cellular" cell phone # in NJ, the guy picks up, I hear the dreaded static, he hears nothing.
He immediately calls me back, no problems.
Consistently repeatable and quite annoying.  >:(
At this time it seems to be the only number that this happens with consistently.

Would it be worth it to manually flash my obi200 from 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) to 3.2.2 (5921EX) and see if it helps?  ???

You won't break anything by upgrading the firmware, but I am pretty certain it won't fix the issue.  I met with the Polycom folks and the Google team last week, and they don't know why it's happening, but the CODEC mismatch is a strong suspect.

wpsb

I'm not sure if this is a related issue (or if its been addressed in other posts) but I've been having a slightly similar problem with my 1062.

When I called someone this am, I could not hear the other person. They could hear me and said I sounded very strange. I then called them back from SP2, they could hear me but again I sounded strange, this time i could hear them.

I rebooted and it fixed the issues. This has happened several times over the past few weeks.

I realize not the same issue as listed above, but wanted to see f its related.

managerharry

Amazingly this issue still persists.  It did seem to get better for about a week, them came back.  Occasionally if I flash to an incoming call, and then very quickly flash back to the original call I won't get static, but about 90% of the time it doesn't work. 

Also at least 1-3 times a day I answer a call and get only dead air.  Usually the caller calls back and I can hear them fine.

I even purchased a new Obi202 which had the exact same issue so I returned it and kept using my old 202 model.

If you are going to advertise this device as compatible with Google Voice, it seems like a very basic, fundamental feature to be able to switch back and forth from original and incoming calls.

I've learned to work around it for now but it's a major pain in the ass and the moment I can find a suitable replacement for Google Voice + Obi I will be happy to move on.

Noah9D8

I have this issue as well. Using the OBI 200. it also persists, in most cases, when recording a call in Google Voice. It's always done that (started using it in May). I'm not using this for business or anything, so it's not a super big deal. Still an annoyance, though, and one I'd love to see fixed...
-Noah

colinsantos1007

It happens to me when I dial a speed dial digit for the first caller. My solution was to dial their actual number.

krowe

Is this actually being worked? I have opened trouble tickets with ObiHai in addition to posting on ObiHai Forums and GV forums. I have not been contacted and have not seen a acceptable official position from either company on this topic. It would be nice to get an update

zorlac

Happy New Year GV & Polycom!
The annoying static still happens at random in case anyone's actually keeping score. ::)
Oh for the good ol days when this didn't happen!  ;D :o

polin

I just received Obi200 this week from Amazon and set it up with Google Voice. Now facing this annoying static noise when lifting the handset. The noise is there with the dial tone. It is intermittent problem. Sometime the line is just clear. But most of the time the noisy just won't go away.
I tried replacing Dc power supply (12V 2.0 A), RJ11 phone cord, Ethernet cord. The static noisy just don't go away. It looks like the device problem (hardware problem). As I still have Vonage phone in my home, and the same analog phone has no noise when connected to Vonage device.
My firmware is 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX). Hope support team can come up with a solution.

drgeoff

Quote from: polin on February 07, 2019, 12:18:00 PM
I just received Obi200 this week from Amazon and set it up with Google Voice. Now facing this annoying static noise when lifting the handset. The noise is there with the dial tone.
That is an entirely different problem from the one everyone else is discussing.

zorlac

Quote from: zorlac on November 05, 2018, 11:03:54 AM
I was just able to call this person without the static when he picked up.
We got 3" of snow today so I'm going with that for a fix.  :D
Fingers crossed....  ::)

SRobi

has anyone had a response from GV or Obi/Polycom?

I too have used multiple Obi devices for many years and this is an annoying and relatively new problem.  Still, it has been an issue for many, many months and makes using the device and GV rather difficult.

It would be nice to have some official response from GV and/or Obi/Polycom.  Trust is key with continued use of devices AND suggestions to others who are considering buying them or looking for thoughts on the right technologies to buy.  With this problem continuing, I could not, in good faith, suggest purchasing an Obi, as this is a problem that makes an important and heavily relied upon feature create a problem that is unacceptable.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this forum.

wpsb

Nope, they just continue to ignore their customers! We spent the money, they don't reply. Lucky us!

bbarker

Quote from: SRobi on February 11, 2019, 09:16:44 PM
has anyone had a response from GV or Obi/Polycom?

I reported it to support, but they wouldn't help because my OBi200 is out of warranty.  Maybe someone in warranty will have better luck.

RFC3261

Quote from: bbarker on February 17, 2019, 12:59:03 PM
I reported it to support, but they wouldn't help because my OBi200 is out of warranty.  Maybe someone in warranty will have better luck.
One thing to understand is that if your device is in warranty (or you pay for the extension) you will get a response.  That is different than you will get a fix.  The last known comment was "they are working the issue, but do not yet understand the root cause".

From the last known hint, there were issues finding a reliable reproducer.  Does anyone have a 100% reproducible case (not it happens occasionally when you call someone, 100% step by step reproducer that never fails to reproduce the issue).

krowe

Quote from: RFC3261 on February 18, 2019, 01:59:14 PM
Quote from: bbarker on February 17, 2019, 12:59:03 PM
I reported it to support, but they wouldn't help because my OBi200 is out of warranty.  Maybe someone in warranty will have better luck.
One thing to understand is that if your device is in warranty (or you pay for the extension) you will get a response.  That is different than you will get a fix.  The last known comment was "they are working the issue, but do not yet understand the root cause".

From the last known hint, there were issues finding a reliable reproducer.  Does anyone have a 100% reproducible case (not it happens occasionally when you call someone, 100% step by step reproducer that never fails to reproduce the issue).

I was under warranty when I reported this problem, called Obi Support and Submitted an online support request. Never heard a word back from Obi. I am no longer under warranty as of Oct '18 and there is no way I am paying for support considering they did not respond while I was under warranty. Bottom-line the claim that if you are under warranty you will get a response is/was false, at least in my case.

As far as reproducible case, I can repeat this problem all day every day reliably. Not sure who they have reached out to or how they reached out but this has been happening ever since GV moved away from XMPP

glenviewjeff

Me too, has been happening for a couple of years for me, finally getting around to seeing what to do to fix it. Simple to reproduce by taking a call waiting and then returning to original call, or trying a three-way call. It's irritating as hell to see that Polycom appears not to care. Add them to the corporate Hall of Shame.