News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Google Voice not forwarding to cell phone

Started by BGood, May 18, 2018, 11:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGood

My telephone configuration is fairly simple: an Obi202 with a legacy residential line (Anveo), a business line (Google Voice), and a cell phone (Ting/Sprint).  The Google Voice line is configured to forward to the cell phone and the Obi202.

Since recently receiving an automated firmware update (3.2.2 build 5859EX), calls to the Google Voice number can be answered on the Obi ATA but do not forward calls from SP2 to my cell phone.  If not answered from the analog phones wired into the Obi202, calls to my Google Voice number end up going to Google Voice Mail.

From the forums, I tried deleting and re-installing the cell forwarding number in legacy GV, and the cell number now appears under the Obi device (but only in legacy GV > Settings).  But calls to the Google Voice number still do not forward to my cell phone.

Here is what I have configured and tested so far:  In ObiTalk, SP1 status is 'Registered' by Anveo and SP2 status is 'Connected' to Google Voice.  My test calls are handled as follows:

Calls received by the Obi202:

• Calls into the SP1 number (Anveo) and SP2 number (Google Voice) appear to ring, connect, and can be terminated properly.

• Calls into SP2 (Google Voice) ring on phones connected to the Obi202 but are not forwarded to my cell phone (or at least the cell phone does not ring).

Calls initiated from analog phones connected to the Obi:

• Calls initiated from the Obi to outside telephone numbers connect properly.

• Calls initiated from analog phones connected to SIP1 (Anveo) and SP2 (Google Voice) on the Obi 202 dialed directly to my cell phone rings the cell phone as expected.

So it appears that Google Voice forwarding to the cell phone is the functionality that is not working for me.  This is illustrated in the accompanying diagram.

Any suggestions?

drgeoff

Try deleting the cellphone number in GV legacy settings and adding it in the non-legacy settings.

SteveInWA

You are misunderstanding how Google Voice call forwarding works.

Your OBiTALK device is not forwarding the calls to your cell phone.  Google Voice itself is forwarding the calls, simultaneously, to all destinations linked to your Google Voice inbound phone number, on your Google Voice settings page.  The cell phone and the OBiTALK device are treated as peers.  If you have somehow programmed some sort of other call forwarding between the OBiTALK device and the cell phone, it'll break things.

Undo whatever you did, and add the cell phone to the new Google Voice desktop user interface, and toggle forwarding on for that number.

BGood

Quote from: drgeoff on May 18, 2018, 01:07:10 PM
Try deleting the cellphone number in GV legacy settings and adding it in the non-legacy settings.

Thanks, drgeoff, I suspect that editing Google Voice settings using only the legacy GV interface did not successfully add my cell phone to the forwarding list.  After deleting the cell phone in the legacy interface and adding the cell phone with the new GV interface, voice calls to my GV number are now successfully forwarded to both the Obi and the cell phone. 

However, I initially could not enable text message forwarding to the cell phone in the new GV interface.  I would click on the checkbox and it would not enable.  I had to go back to the legacy GV interface and identify the cell phone as a mobile device, then enable text message forwarding on the cell phone using the new GV interface.  Maybe an oversight in the new GV settings interface?

Steve, I understand that call forwarding is handled by Google Voice and not from the Obi ATA. My drawing was provided as a simple graphic to summarize call testing by originating and receiving phone line.

Thanks for the help.

SteveInWA

Thanks, drgeoff, I suspect that editing Google Voice settings using only the legacy GV interface did not successfully add my cell phone to the forwarding list.  After deleting the cell phone in the legacy interface and adding the cell phone with the new GV interface, voice calls to my GV number are now successfully forwarded to both the Obi and the cell phone. 

No, it doesn't matter which UI you used to add the number.  This was some sort of user error.

However, I initially could not enable text message forwarding to the cell phone in the new GV interface.  I would click on the checkbox and it would not enable.  I had to go back to the legacy GV interface and identify the cell phone as a mobile device, then enable text message forwarding on the cell phone using the new GV interface.  Maybe an oversight in the new GV settings interface?

Not an oversight.  The new design is:  if you use the mobile Google Voice app for Android or iPhone to link that phone's mobile number, the number will be correctly assigned as a mobile number and it will work with text messaging.  If you add a number via the desktop UI, it will be added as a land line.