News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot Add Device

Started by TheMightyQuinn, August 24, 2011, 05:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMightyQuinn

I just got a Obi110 and am doing the initial setup.  I am plugging the obi into the ethernet cable from my cable modem, since I do not have a router yet, but it times out trying to add the device.  I check the basic network status and it tells me my ip is not available. 

Does this mean that the obi requires a router to function or is something else wrong?

RonR

The OBi should work connected directly to a cable modem.  Did you power-cycle the cable modem after making the connection?

TheMightyQuinn

restarting the modem gave me an ip address, but adding the device still fails.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

TheMightyQuinn

Advanced network settings tells me that my dns server is not available and dialing  **9222222222 tells me there is no service available. 

RonR

I don't use the OBiTALK Web Portal, so I can't be a whole lot of help there.  I prefer to configure the OBi locally so I'm not dependent on anything else.

RonR

If DHCP though the cable modem is getting an IP address, it should also be getting a DNS server address via DHCP.  You could always manually configure one such as 4.2.2.1.

TheMightyQuinn

Thanks Ron!  Since I now have the ip address, i logged into the obi device on my laptop, and manually set the dns server and now I can add the device.  Thanks so much!