News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone port issues

Started by Kel_C, May 19, 2018, 08:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kel_C

I'm trying to troubleshoot my OBI200 device, which stopped working while there were storms in my area - device was on a surge protector with other electronics that are fine, no power outage occurred. The phone line is plugged into my house phone network.

All the phones started displaying "Line in use" messages. When plugging a phone directly into the OBI200, I get a message to reseat the adaptor. I did so for both the phone base and the OBI. No change. I followed the instructions for resetting the device and the phone light doesn't turn on. I checked the device interface, and the phone port status is empty regardless of what's plugged in (plug in new, reset device, refresh page).

Is it a safe assumption that the issue is with the OBI hardware? Is there a way to force the system to send a refresh to just the phone port to test?

SteveInWA

the phone port status is empty regardless of what's plugged in (plug in new, reset device, refresh page).

To be clear, do you mean that, regardless whether a modular telephone plug is inserted in the OBi's phone jack or not, when you look at Status --> PHONE port status, VBAT and TipRingVoltage are zero or close to it?

If so, it's probably dead.  

As a last resort, you can try a full restore to factory defaults.

• Pull all three plugs out of the device (power, Ethernet and phone).
  • Turn the device upside-down on a flat surface.  Straighten a paper clip.  Find the small bump on the bottom of the device, with a hole in the middle.  This is the reset switch.  Insert the paper clip and gently depress it against the switch until you feel a click. Don't force it.  Continue to hold the the clip in that position.
  • Plug in only the power cord.  Wait at least 10 seconds (or longer, to be sure).  Then, remove the paper clip and wait until the device restores its defaults and reboots.
  • Plug in the telephone cord again.  Pick up the phone.  Do you have a dial tone now?  If so, you may have fixed it, and you can try configuring it again.  If not, it's dead.

There are no user-serviceable parts inside.  All you can do is to try another "wall wart" AC/DC adapter, if you have one from another device, such as a router or other gizmo, that has the same voltage and plug polarity.  If you do that, and it's still zero, the OBi is ready for the eWaste bin.

There are no other means to deal with this.  Well, in theory, most surge protectors come with an attached equipment protection guarantee, and the surge protector manufacturer should pay for the failed device.  In practice, you'd need the original receipts from the surge protector and the OBi to file a claim.

Kel_C

That's exactly what I mean - the port actually shows as empty after the factory reset (I hadn't thought to check it before).

The device is new enough I've still got time to return it for replacement.

Thank you very much.

drgeoff

Quote from: Kel_C on May 20, 2018, 07:53:36 AM
That's exactly what I mean - the port actually shows as empty after the factory reset (I hadn't thought to check it before).

The device is new enough I've still got time to return it for replacement.

Thank you very much.
Why do you think you are entitled to a replacement?

azrobert

I'm not a hardware expert, but why would a power surge only damage the phone port?

Did you disconnect your home wiring from the telephone company. When you cancel telephone service they probably won't remove power from the line. This could cause damage to your phone port.

zorlac

Quote from: azrobert on May 20, 2018, 10:25:23 AM
I'm not a hardware expert, but why would a power surge only damage the phone port?
If he had a nearby strike it could actually induce enough voltage into the house phone wiring to damage the obi's phone port.

dircom

Might not apply to you but
unplug your OBi from your house wiring, and plug in a known good working telephone (not a phone you think works)
see what happens

HWood

Obi202 Phone Ports Died
Read your post. Had similar problem with the telephone ports not lighting up. I see you decided to send back for replacement-. After reaching out to their support by email and telephone, I registered here.  I get the sense that some "members" will never admit the hardware may very well be defective on these 200 series Undecided.  Because polycom recently "ACQUIRED"  Obihai in January 2018, polycom should consider hiring some of these "members" because they're more helpful and knowledgeable that the company. :-\

drgeoff

Phone ports do die.  For example see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14349.0

Sometimes the damage is self inflicted (eg by connecting the OBi's phone port to an electrically live telco line) but I wouldn't try to make out that is always the case.