News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to port a landline

Started by jemco, May 23, 2018, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemco

Hello all,

I am trying to port a Time Warner/Spectrum landline number and I found this tutorial:

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

It tells me to purchase a T-Mobile SIM card, which I did for $10. The SIM card arrived today in the mail.

When I go to activate the SIM card, T-Mobile tells me that they won't activate it unless I purchase a plan.
The tutorial doesn't say anything about additional fees. If it did, I would have considered using my cousin's old tracfone and paying $10 for some minutes and porting the number to that.

Can someone please tell me if I wasted my money following a possibly outdated tutorial or is there a way that I can port my landline without high costs to myself?

Thanks,
Joe

SteveInWA

Consider this:  this procedure essentially abuses T-Mobile's service, by porting in a number, then immediately porting it out.  Porting costs money to the carriers.  You need to buy the minimum number of minutes needed to activate the phone and port in a number, and to be able to verify the number with Google Voice.

jemco

thank you. Thank you.
I finally got some service from T-Mobile support.
They have a landline department and someone has told me that my number will be ported in by friday.
I appreciate all the help.

Rick441

Quote from: zsak23 on May 24, 2018, 02:19:12 AM
https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/marketing-module/pay_as_you_go.html

This is a $3/month plan at T-Mobile

I purchased the $3 plan, but they required a $10 minimum balance be created (on top of the $10 for the sim). But I'm happy the port from T-Mobile to GV went through...took 4 days, after 2 days to (completely) port my old ATT landline to T-Mo.

Rick441

jemco, you are so lucky you didn't try to port with Tracfone.  In my experience they seem to delight in screwing up anything and everything, and then blaming it on the customer.  And that's about the *nicest and most intelligent* their CS gets.