News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Make calls from smartphone using landline

Started by smasher1940, May 23, 2018, 06:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smasher1940

Hello
I want to make calls from my smartphone using my landline and not having to use google voice or any other service
Do you have a product for that?

The same thing as using voice bridge but I don't want to depend on their servers

panasonic had some phones that used smartphone connect that also allowed to do this, but It seems they discontinued those models KX-PRW110/120/130

This is the video of the feature that I want to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKgV1NVhzo

Thanks

SteveInWA

The feature you are describing uses Bluetooth on the cordless phone system's base station, and it simply links to the smartphone as if the smartphone was a Bluetooth headset.  Panasonic calls it "Link2Cell", and yes, they still sell phones with that feature.

azrobert

You're posting on the OBiTalk forum, so I assume you have an OBi device. You can do the same with the phone attached to an OBi2xx or OBi IP phone. You need to purchase an OBiBT Bluetooth adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SG4D2E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008SG4D2E&linkCode=as2&tag=obihatechn-20

smasher1940

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 23, 2018, 06:45:40 PM
The feature you are describing uses Bluetooth on the cordless phone system's base station, and it simply links to the smartphone as if the smartphone was a Bluetooth headset.  Panasonic calls it "Link2Cell", and yes, they still sell phones with that feature.

As far as I understand Link2Cell only allows you to use the panasonic phone to call using the smartphone line, not the smartphone to call using the landline

smasher1940

Quote from: azrobert on May 23, 2018, 07:10:47 PM
You're posting on the OBiTalk forum, so I assume you have an OBi device. You can do the same with the phone attached to an OBi2xx or OBi IP phone. You need to purchase an OBiBT Bluetooth adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SG4D2E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008SG4D2E&linkCode=as2&tag=obihatechn-20

I'm plannning to buy a device that allows me to do what I need, I don't own an OBi device, I was sent here from someone from the OBI staff

Do I still need to purchase the OBI bluetooth adapter although the smartphone has wifi and the OBI device is connected to the lan, isn't it possible to connect using wifi?

I have read the specifications of these device and it says you can make calls from your regular phone using the cellphone line, but it doesn't says you can use your smartphone to call using your landline

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on May 23, 2018, 07:10:47 PM

No, that is not what the OP said.

SteveInWA

Quote from: smasher1940 on May 23, 2018, 07:29:13 PM
Do I still need to purchase the OBI bluetooth adapter although the smartphone has wifi and the OBI device is connected to the lan, isn't it possible to connect using wifi?

No.

I have read the specifications of these device and it says you can make calls from your regular phone using the cellphone line, but it doesn't says you can use your smartphone to call using your landline

Right.  Because creating a solution that would do exactly what you want would be a kludge of hardware.

OBiTALK products are Voice over IP (VoIP) adapters and IP phones.  They're meant to be used with VoIP telephone service providers.  You can do all sorts of things when you have a service provider, but you said you don't want one, so these products would not be a simple nor inexpensive solution.  At minimum, you'd have to buy an OBi 212, which has a POTS (landline) jack on it, and an OBiBT adapter, to route the landline calls to and from the smartphone.

The alternative would be to port your landline number to a VoIP service provider and use it with an OBiTALK device.

Why do you want to do this?  Why not just use an inexpensive cordless phone, plugged into your landline?

smasher1940

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 23, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

No.

Right.  Because creating a solution that would do exactly what you want would be a kludge of hardware.

OBiTALK products are Voice over IP (VoIP) adapters and IP phones.  They're meant to be used with VoIP telephone service providers.  You can do all sorts of things when you have a service provider, but you said you don't want one, so these products would not be a simple nor inexpensive solution.  At minimum, you'd have to buy an OBi 212, which has a POTS (landline) jack on it, and an OBiBT adapter, to route the landline calls to and from the smartphone.

The alternative would be to port your landline number to a VoIP service provider and use it with an OBiTALK device.

Why do you want to do this?  Why not just use an inexpensive cordless phone, plugged into your landline?

I wanted to see which options I had so I could buy only one item, I guess I'll have to buy a cordless phone and a headset for comfortability

Thanks mate.

SteveInWA

Quote from: smasher1940 on May 23, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 23, 2018, 08:02:43 PM

No.

I wanted to see which options I had so I could buy only one item, I guess I'll have to buy a cordless phone and a headset for comfortability

Thanks mate.

Yep, that is exactly what I'd do.  Enjoy!