News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Port Number Confusion?

Started by Pedro675, May 24, 2018, 04:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro675

I hope I've posted on the correct forum.

I am getting ready to port my home number to GV. I have already enabled a cell phone with AT&T service and ported my home number to the AT&T phone. The complete port will take place tomorrow when I will be able to then port that home number from AT&T to GV.

I'm confused about #6 in the OBi porting instructions.

"6.........Note: Use your newly ported, original number — not the number you choose when activating the SIM card. Google will call the mobile number for activation purposes, so be sure to have your unlocked phone in which you inserted the prepaid SIM card."

Which number is the newly ported original number??? My AT&T cell originally came with an AT&T number, now it has my newly ported home number. Do I use the new home number? Technically the AT&T original number does not exist any more.

Thanks for helping.

drgeoff

Google is going to ring the number you give and you need to receive the call.  Surely that leaves you in no doubt.

Pedro675

"Use your newly ported, original number — not the number you choose when activating the SIM card."

The wording needs to be clearer. Is the "number I give" the ported to cell phone home number? Surely I would have chosen my home number as the one used to activate the SIM?

SHarp

Quote from: Pedro675 on May 24, 2018, 08:47:15 AM
"Use your newly ported, original number — not the number you choose when activating the SIM card."

The wording needs to be clearer. Is the "number I give" the ported to cell phone home number? Surely I would have chosen my home number as the one used to activate the SIM?

When they first activate your SIM card, they give you a phone number on the new cellular line.They need to give you this number to give you an operational line. We'll call this number TempSIM. The number that you want to port at this time is still on your old line, we'll call this OldPORT.

When they complete the port over to your cellphone, TempSIM disappears and your cellular number is now the number we referred to as OldPORT. This is the only number to worry about. The temporary number that your phone had is gone, not active anymore.

In short, give the ORIGINAL number that you had on your original phone BEFORE any of this started.

Pedro675

Thanks SHarp, it's clear now.

One more question. The AT&T ported home number is active tomorrow, Friday. And my telcom is cancelling the home number and activating only DSL on the telcom line also tomorrow. I will test the AT&T phone to make sure the home phone number is active. Do I have to wait to port from AT&T to GV or can I start the port tomorrow? Does anybody care?

It'll take about 48 hours for GV to port, so hoping to get everything running properly by Monday.

RFC3261

Quote from: Pedro675 on May 24, 2018, 10:31:09 AM
Do I have to wait to port from AT&T to GV or can I start the port tomorrow? Does anybody care?
I have seen other recommendations that it is best to give the first port time to settle (24-48 hours?) before re-porting as there are some background activities that sometimes have to be completed.  And to make absolutely sure you can place outgoing, and receive incoming, calls (from a few locations/people) to insure that the port really looks complete.  It there are problems (and there have been occasional reports of problems), you do not want to introduce additional complexity of a second port in progress (getting out of that morass means that at least one (and possibly all three) companies will just throw up their hands and say "not my problem").  On the other side of that, there have been some successful reports of starting the second port as soon as they can place a call.  YMWV.

Pedro675

OK, thanks. I can wait till Monday or Tuesday no problem.

Pedro675

Yes we did. Thanks for the reminder.