News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) causes unstable connections

Started by basilirwin, May 26, 2018, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basilirwin

My obi202 has been rock solid for close to two years, but a couple of hours ago both of my connections suddenly stopped working: one is google voice and the other is voip.ms. All attempted inbound calls received busy and all attempted outbound calls received a "dial-tone" of nothing but constant beeping. This happened for both service providers at the same time. Logging onto Obitalk showed both services were registered, and logging onto VOIP.MS showed the main SIP account was registered to my obi202. All looked well, and yet nothing was working. Rebooting, refreshing, re-registering from VOIP.MS, etc., did nothing to solve the problem.

In desperation, I deleted the google voice service via the Obitalk Dashboard and then added it afresh with the wizard, and only then did it  start working again. I did the same thing with VOIP.MS and it too started working.

Needless to say i'm EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY unhappy to find my formerly rock solid obi202 is now completely flaky.

Anyone have a suggestion about what version of the firmware I should roll back to? (And then I suppose I want to disable auto provisioning of the firmware after that.)

thanks.

RFC3261

Quote from: basilirwin on May 26, 2018, 09:24:55 PM
Anyone have a suggestion about what version of the firmware I should roll back to?
First, if you use GV, you have to use that version of firmware (the previous one(s) will cease operation on/about June 18th when Google has stated they will retire the XMPP service used previously (odds are it will not happen *exactly* on that date for all)).  The Obi firmware was automatically upgraded with the intent to try to insure that (for most users) GV would just operate as normal after that date.  There are always exceptions about such upgrades being transparent.  Second, even if you do not use GV, the newer Obihai firmware has been updated such that you will find it difficult to roll back, because new firmware is signed and verified, and the old firmware is not signed (so fails verification).

basilirwin

thanks for the response.

1. i could care less about GV: it's just there as a backup and when i want to essentially use a burner number for craigslist or the like.

2. real bummer about being unable to roll back. if these connection failures continue to happen and are not soon fixed with new microcode, I'll have to look for another solution besides obitalk ...

3. I absolutely HATE any piece of hardware that auto-updates by default. The potential for such instability is unacceptable in large industrial, commercial, and medical environments, but vendors seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to nuke SOHO consumers and businesses ...

SteveInWA

Quote from: basilirwin on May 26, 2018, 09:24:55 PM

In desperation, I deleted the google voice service via the Obitalk Dashboard and then added it afresh with the wizard, and only then did it  start working again. I did the same thing with VOIP.MS and it too started working.

Needless to say i'm EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY unhappy to find my formerly rock solid obi202 is now completely flaky.

Something went wrong.  You fixed it.  It's working fine now.  Enjoy.