News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I Hear Ringing on OBI But Phone Being Dialed Not Ringing At All

Started by DavidW, August 25, 2011, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Hello. Brand new to all this. I have my OBI 110 connecting via GV. I have made several calls that have worked just fine. But suddenly, when I am trying to call either of my two house lines (neither plugged into the OBI) I hear ringing on the handset connected to the OBI but the wired house phones are not ringing at all. If I pick one up, I hear a dial tone. These numbers did work ok yesterday. I have rebooted the OBI (both hard and soft) with no changes. I can call other numbers via the OBI and they are ok. I can call one house line from the other (and vis-a-vis) with no problems. Any hints on what's up? I have tried all this many times now with the same results. Odd! Thanks

Everton

Do you have a Contact/Contacts in GV with both these numbers?  Maybe that contact(s) have the "Ring My:" phones un-selected [under Edit Google Voice Settings for the Contact(s)].  That is the only thing I could think of that might be causing this problem.

DavidW

Thanks for your response. However, I don't see the setting to which you refer. I do indeed have contact entries in GV that include the number that are not ringing. Thanks

DavidW

One more bit of info. After the target phone "rings" on the OBI for a while, I get a series of beeps. 3 short followed by one long. Not sure what, if anything, that means. Thanks

RonR

Quote from: DavidW on August 25, 2011, 11:48:28 AM
One more bit of info. After the target phone "rings" on the OBI for a while, I get a series of beeps. 3 short followed by one long.

Could you be calling a number that rings back into the OBi and you're hearing a Call Waiting signal?

jimates

1 - what does the Obi call history show
     (log into the Obi directly and check the call history)

2 - what does your google voice history show
    (log into your google voice page in your browser and check the history)

DavidW

Thanks for your questions... The GV placed log shows a series of calls to the numbers/contacts. Each of these are either 1 or 0 minutes in length. The log on the device shows the calls. Some are show connected (although there was no ring on that line) while others do not. Comparing the two logs, the ones that show connected are the ones that show a 1 minute duration while the ones not showing connected have the 0 minute duration. Thanks.

DavidW

Quote from: RonR on August 25, 2011, 11:52:54 AM
Quote from: DavidW on August 25, 2011, 11:48:28 AM
One more bit of info. After the target phone "rings" on the OBI for a while, I get a series of beeps. 3 short followed by one long.

Could you be calling a number that rings back into the OBi and you're hearing a Call Waiting signal?

Thanks. I am not sure what you mean here by rings back into the OBI. GV has contact entries for both numbers. One of the numbers is on the GV Phone list. But the ONLY GV forward to is to Google Chat. The OBI knows about none of these numbers (that I know of in any way).

DavidW

Interestingly, I just received this notice from my local telco (Whidbey Telecom):

UPDATE On the National Call Termination Issue

In recent months there have been a number of telephone subscribers across the country reporting difficulties with their long distance calls. Whidbey Telecom has also received reports from some of our customers that their friends, family and/or business associates have had problems placing calls to our rural area. We investigated each of these reports and determined that the troubles experienced by our customers with receiving long distance calls were related to this national issue. We have been in contact with a variety of state and national telecommunications organizations and have gathered information on the types of call issues being experienced as well as information on what is being done to correct the overall matter. We would like to share some of this information with you, the progress being made and how you can support our investigation. We hope you will find it helpful.

Whidbey Telecom continues to cooperate with several national telephone associations in providing information to them on the scope of these issues. These national associations have concluded these issues are part of "an epidemic affecting the routing of calls to customers in rural areas nationwide." They are continuing to collect data from telephone companies affected by these issues and have spent considerable time researching this issue and raising awareness among stakeholders at all levels of the industry. The national associations filed a letter detailing this growing epidemic with the Enforcement Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission ("FCC") and are continuing to work with the FCC to further investigate the problem. We are pleased to report that the Enforcement Bureau responded to this request by contacting the carriers responsible for originating the majority of the problem calls. At this time, some carriers have contacted the national associations to discuss the issue further.

These call termination issues can occur on calls originated from a variety of telephone technologies including landline, wireless, cable, and VoIP. The issues experienced may include, but are not limited to the following:

* The calling party hears ringing but the called party hears nothing;
    * The called party hears ringing but hears only dead air when they answer the call;
    * Calls take sometimes as long as 50 seconds to setup, before the calling/called party hears a ring;
    * Garbled, one way or otherwise poor quality voice transmission on completed calls;
    * Inability to receive Faxes;
    * Missing or altered Caller ID.

It would seem that the first item in the above list is what is happening to me. The odd thing is this worked just fine yesterday!