News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to register new OBI200 .

Started by Dead_Cow, May 29, 2018, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead_Cow

Hey, I have the OBI setup properly. It has the correct IP, however, when I try to do the **5 4241, it never registers with my OBI account. I'm changing from an OBI110 to an OBI200. **9 200-200-200 works. Any ideas? I've tried putting the device in a DMZ to register. I have a Netgear 7000 (Nighhawk) router running the latest version of DD-WRT and have never had an issue.

drgeoff

1.  What exactly happens when you go through the **5 xxxx procedure?

2.  I don't know what **9 200 200 200 is supposed to do.  I do know it is not the echo test number.

Nick2

I'm having the same issue. When I dial the **5 number it tells me the message has been sent to the server, the setup screen says "trying to connect your device" but times out after 120 seconds. The echo test numbers works just fine for me as well.

Dead_Cow

Quote from: drgeoff on May 29, 2018, 03:21:21 PM
1.  What exactly happens when you go through the **5 xxxx procedure?

2.  I don't know what **9 200 200 200 is supposed to do.  I do know it is not the echo test number.
Sorry, I meant **9 222-222-222, mistype. The echoback works.

When I do the **5 **** routine, it says it's been sent to the server, but the obitalk page times out and asks if I want to try again. The new device never appears in the obitalk page.

SteveInWA

I don't know what's going on with your **5 failures, but just as a SWAG, you mentioned you're using a Netgear router and DD-WRT.  There have been several other discussion threads where that appears to have been the cause of the problem.

If you have another router to experiment with, it would be worth swapping them.

Dead_Cow

I've had obi since it's inception, and the router is properly configured. The router isn't the problem.

Dead_Cow

So the issue is with leaving "Configure google voice" checked when you have multifactor authentication turned on. Unchecking the "configure google voice" as part of the initial configuration allowed me to continue and the device now appears in ObiTalk. That said, now it's not configuring Google Voice properly. It forever loops "configuring" next to SP1.

Dead_Cow

It finally configured. It took about 10 minutes. All is good now. Anyone else with the same problem, try disabling the "configure google voice" as part of the setup. Once the adapter is connected, you can then setup Google Voice.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dead_Cow on June 02, 2018, 08:43:45 AM
So the issue is with leaving "Configure google voice" checked when you have multifactor authentication turned on. Unchecking the "configure google voice" as part of the initial configuration allowed me to continue and the device now appears in ObiTalk. That said, now it's not configuring Google Voice properly. It forever loops "configuring" next to SP1.

Two factor authentication is 100% compatible with all things OBiTALK.  OBiTALK is NOT using your user ID and password to sign into your Google account.  It relies on YOU to sign in, yourself, on the window that pops up, which is a google.com web page.  It then generates a secure token via OAUTH 2.0 that enables OBiTALK to access only the service necessary to operate the OBiTALK device.  At no time does OBiTALK ever have the ability to sign into your account.

Dead_Cow

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 02, 2018, 03:19:18 PM
Two factor authentication is 100% compatible with all things OBiTALK.  OBiTALK is NOT using your user ID and password to sign into your Google account.  It relies on YOU to sign in, yourself, on the window that pops up, which is a google.com web page.  It then generates a secure token via OAUTH 2.0 that enables OBiTALK to access only the service necessary to operate the OBiTALK device.  At no time does OBiTALK ever have the ability to sign into your account.
I'm aware of that and never said i did. I'm saying the "I want to configure Google Voice on this device" option (circled in the attached image) in combination with having 2FA enabled caused device registration issues. Unchecking that option allowed me to link the GV login after the device itself was registered because as part of it, I had to click "yes" on my phone. Something about the integrated "I want to configure Google Voice on this device" is broken.

jccpa

I noticed new OBi200 and OBi202 needing the new FW would get "confused" until it got the new FW.

In one case I manually downloaded an updated firmware and put it on the OBi200, then I was able to register to OBiTalk and run a firmware update from there with the ! in the triangle button.

I can't say, though, if that was 100% the issue because his router was really outdated, too.

Before BOTH those situations were remedied, I couldn't get the OBi200 to register with the server, either.

FYI. I used a handset and star codes to get the LAN IP address to login and update its firmware manually.

FYI2. Before the router upgrade, there was a problem with the Belkin DHCP, having overlapped an Epson printer with the OBi200. Check that you don't have another device on the same IP address as your OBI (which seems to allow the **9 222 222 222 test okay, but not the server registration- even though it replied "code has been sent to the server")

TigrShrk

I am also having issues trying to register my 200(which is replacing my 100 due to the email I received from OBI telling me I needed to upgrade).  Echo test works, but setup times out attempting to connect to the 200.
I tried unchecking the configure Google Voice box but that didn't work.
So downloading an updated firmware appears to be my next option.
Can someone post instructions how to do this?

Thanks in advance

SteveInWA

Quote from: TigrShrk on June 05, 2018, 03:48:13 PM
I am also having issues trying to register my 200(which is replacing my 100 due to the email I received from OBI telling me I needed to upgrade).  Echo test works, but setup times out attempting to connect to the 200.
I tried unchecking the configure Google Voice box but that didn't work.
So downloading an updated firmware appears to be my next option.
Can someone post instructions how to do this?

Thanks in advance

You do not manually download firmware.  If you properly added the device to your OBiTALK dashboard, it should automatically update to the current firmware, which is 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).

Pick up the phone connected to the OBi.  Key in ***0 then 1# to hear the installed firmware version.  What is it?

TigrShrk

Steve, that's the problem...I cannot configure my 200, so I can't do anything as you state until OBI recognizes it.
I just upgraded the firmware but it still will not configure.

drgeoff

Quote from: TigrShrk on June 05, 2018, 04:36:12 PM
Steve, that's the problem...I cannot configure my 200, so I can't do anything as you state until OBI recognizes it.
I just upgraded the firmware but it still will not configure.
To dial ***0 and then 1# to hear the firmware version read out to you does not require any prior configuration.  Does not even need a network cable plugged in.  Power supply and phone - that's all.

TigrShrk

drgeoff,
You're right...I was able to dial ***1 and get my ip addr. Then signed into my OBI 200 and upgraded the firmware.
After it rebooted I attempted to add this device to my OBI acct. and that's when the problem occurs....after dialing the **5--- number I wait and wait and wait but it never connects to my OBI 200
fw is 3.2.1(build 5757EX)

RFC3261

Quote from: TigrShrk on June 05, 2018, 04:47:26 PM
Then signed into my OBI 200 and upgraded the firmware.
Manually updated it?  To what version (the complete string as reported under the SoftwareVersion tag on the Product Information group on the web interface)?

TigrShrk

I had the same issue that jccpa had....my Epson printer had the same ip addr as my OBI.
I unplugged my printer and started the setup process and this time everything worked....whew.
I setup Google Voice and now my home phone is connected and functional.

drgeoff

Quote from: TigrShrk on June 05, 2018, 04:47:26 PM
drgeoff,
You're right...I was able to dial ***1 and get my ip addr. Then signed into my OBI 200 and upgraded the firmware.
After it rebooted I attempted to add this device to my OBI acct. and that's when the problem occurs....after dialing the **5--- number I wait and wait and wait but it never connects to my OBI 200
That is not the latest firmware.  But the OBi should automatically get upgraded soon after adding the device to the portal.  Can you still reach the echo test when you dial **9 222 222 222 ?

If you are always trying to dial **5 followed by the same 4 digits that probably will not work   Each time you click the "Add device" on the portal it will give you a new 4 digits.

SteveInWA

That's why we both asked you what firmware version you were running, and why I told you not to upgrade it manually.

If you can't get it to automatically upgrade after whatever you did to the unit, then restore it to factory defaults, either via the ***8 method, or the paper-clip method, and try again.