News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable To Private Message Forum Member

Started by wpollock, August 30, 2018, 01:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpollock

Why am I getting this prompt when trying to pm a forum member:

Couldn't get mail server response codes

Any replies are appreciated

drgeoff

Quote from: wpollock on August 30, 2018, 01:35:25 PM
Why am I getting this prompt when trying to pm a forum member:

Couldn't get mail server response codes

Any replies are appreciated
Just another symptom of the FU'd forum which Obihai/Polycom/Plantronics have not fixed.

wpollock

So it looks like they are playing gatekeeper in the sense that direct and private communication between forum members doesn't work.How childish is that?

drgeoff

Hanlon's Razor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor. "cock-up, not conspiracy" in UK parlance.

I doubt it is deliberate.

Attachments don't work.  First posts in a new thread get failure messages - that's why there are now so many duplicates as those posters try again.

A_Friend

Quote from: wpollock on August 30, 2018, 02:12:15 PM
So it looks like they are playing gatekeeper in the sense that direct and private communication between forum members doesn't work.How childish is that?

No.  It does work.  The message does get sent, or at least it did last time I tried.  It's just the mail system, such as it is, gives you an irrelevant failure message.

I'll send you a message.  Look in your private message folder.  You can respond.  Ignore the error message, and I'll respond to that, just to prove you sent it.

Here's the biggest problem, in my view, with the private message function:  It doesn't give you any alerts that you have a new message waiting.  Unless you open the folder, you'll never know.