News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI ISDN / BRI over IP?

Started by filtermobile, June 01, 2018, 04:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filtermobile

I've seen a few - tbey're way out of my price range, but it would be great if OBI made an adapter for ISDN BRI/PRI-over-IP solution.  My friend and I have been using OBI with GV to control legacy devices - such as security and fire alarms, and a dual-channel ISDN would allow for 2 of these "old school" POTS methods of data communication, as well as leaving me a channel for a v.90 server RADIUS connection.  If i remember right, v.90 can only go 56k download on the client side, the Courier i.Modem can do the server side too.

Just a thought - BRI's are a thing of the past but I'd like to see them back

drgeoff

OBi's expertise is VoIP, Polycom's business has always been audio and video conferencing and Plantronics business has been headsets.  Even if (given that ISDN is now a dead end) they were to diversify into the product type you request, why do you think they would make a good and competitive offering in an area where they have no experience?

filtermobile

I don't know anything about ISDN either, except 20 years ago it was the boom between dial-up internet access and ADSL / Cable we use today.  I don't know much about it, I just thought it was like a "Digital POTS" line, and, being as though my OBI202 can connect to my POTS equipment, it would be nice if I could hook my ISDN equipment to an OBI device and use VOIP over the 2 channel BRI.

https://www.pulsesupply.com/solutions/hot-solutions/is-it-possible-to-use-isdn-equipment-over-an-ip-network

It may require an ISDN line itself, but it appears there is some demand for it  Just a suggestion, if there's no profit in it, it's not going to happen.

RFC3261

Quote from: filtermobile on June 01, 2018, 08:52:29 AM
but it appears there is some demand for it
There is also a (small) demand for wooden sailing ships to ply the high seas.  But mostly as a stunt (they no longer profitably carry commercial cargo), and they are built at exceedingly high prices per unit because there is no economy of scale.
Just a suggestion, if there's no profit in it, it's not going to happen.
There is likely no profit in it unless you are able to commit to either (a) 6 or 7 figures worth of items, or (b) a very high unit price.  Are you able to do so?  If so, you can likely get custom engineering done for your company.

There will remain ISDN niche products in the market that one can use (you, yourself, said they exist), but other than supporting various legacy installations, it really seems unlikely that there is anywhere in the world where ISDN technology has a sufficient future to justify new development.  ISDN may not be dead yet, but the prognosis is clear, and we are just waiting for someone to call the time of death.

SteveInWA

Quote from: filtermobile on June 01, 2018, 04:23:38 AM
I've seen a few - tbey're way out of my price range, but it would be great if OBI made an adapter for ISDN BRI/PRI-over-IP solution.  My friend and I have been using OBI with GV to control legacy devices - such as security and fire alarms, and a dual-channel ISDN would allow for 2 of these "old school" POTS methods of data communication, as well as leaving me a channel for a v.90 server RADIUS connection.  If i remember right, v.90 can only go 56k download on the client side, the Courier i.Modem can do the server side too.

Just a thought - BRI's are a thing of the past but I'd like to see them back

I guess you didn't believe me, when I said "no, never" over on the Google Voice forum.

Aside from the fact that it's obsolete, you have a rural dialup phone line.  ISDN required high-quality, conditioned phone lines, which you don't have.

If you can't get DSL or cable or satellite broadband, there's no point in even dreaming about a ~50 year old technology making a rebirth.

Time_Lord

ISDN = It Still Does Nothing

I think the last time I had an ISDN line PRI or BRI installed was almost 20 years ago.  Last environment I set up consisted of 8 PRIs supporting a modem pool, brings back memories, 23B+1D on 2 PRIs and 24B+0D on the other 6, something about a shared D channel.

-TL

NYGuard

Aside from the fact that it's obsolete, you have a rural dialup phone line.  ISDN required high-quality, conditioned phone lines, which you don't have.

*** Basic Rate ISDN (BRI-ISDN) @ 144Kb/s is engineered to function over traditional non conditioned cable pairs out to a line resistance of 1300 Ohms (DC), and does not require special line treatments other than no loading coils that are typical of metallic (Cable) telephone lines that exceed 18K Feet (18KFT), and as long as loop length does not exceed 40dB at 40KHz Nyquist signal.

BRI-ISDN, as are PRI-ISDN circuits, are routinely carried over fiber facilities by way of TDM fiber multiplexer equipment, and associated D type channel banks equipped with U-BR1TE channel units. A BTI-ISDN circuit will occupy up to three 64Kb/s DS0 time slots over DS1 (T1) facilities. In some cases, the associated T1 of a PRI-ISDN circuit is cared over two, and four wire HDSL equipment where no fiber terminal is available.

Is all of this going away, yes, just as telegraph circuits did in the 1980's, and the Passenger Pigeon did in 1914 ***

If you can't get DSL or cable or satellite broadband, there's no point in even dreaming about a ~50 year old technology making a rebirth.

*** A relatively true statement that applies to just about all legacy TDM services. ***

West Street T Carrier