News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to delete google voice message from handset on OBi200?

Started by jccpa, June 04, 2018, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jccpa

Using GV on OBi200 for a ported number. Works fine. Calls in, calls out, GV pin and retrieval, etc. Can call my own GV number and enter pin for voice mail access and listen to messages, but NO WAY TO DELETE a message from my handset?

What am I missing?

I tried hitting 7, hitting 9, speaking 'Delete' but to no avail.

Help?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Google Voice has never had the ability to delete voicemail messages from the telephone menus.  I have no idea why, except that you have unlimited storage, so your VM box will never be full.  If you want to delete things, you need to use the desktop UI:  https://voice.google.com/settings

jccpa

Thanks, Steve. I saw the occasional reference to voice command, but it didn't pan out. So much old and outdated info on the web- guess that's good that GV is progressing ;)

It's a pretty big strike against convenience with the OBi's. A significant block for general usage by the public. Maybe that is intentional?

I appreciate the confirmation.

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 04, 2018, 02:00:25 PM
Google Voice has never had the ability to delete voicemail messages from the telephone menus.  I have no idea why, except that you have unlimited storage, so your VM box will never be full.  If you want to delete things, you need to use the desktop UI:  https://voice.google.com/settings

SteveInWA

Actually, if you just don't worry about it, it has little to no impact on usage.

When you listen to a voicemail message over the phone, the system marks it as "read" (well, of course it is marking it as "listened-to" over the phone, or "read" on a screen).  Once you listen to the message, it will no longer be flagged as a message waiting for you to check (the next time you call VM, it will say you have no messages).  You can "archive" the message over the phone, or leave it as a read-item in your inbox.  Since the archive is unlimited in size, you can either take no action, or, if it's some sort of personal/confidential/sensitive message, go into the UI and delete it.

Over the years, very few people have complained about this.

The best source of information about Google Voice is on the official, Google-owned Google Voice help forum - the link is in my signature below.