News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 Google Voice Setup Error "Registration Not Required"--What does it Mean?

Started by SKIN, June 04, 2018, 06:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKIN

Hello All,

I was using OBI200 since last 2 years and suddenly it stopped working.
I tried setting up same old Google voice but i am getting an error " Registration Not Required" and after few minutes the same error is changing it to "Connect Failed : No Response" .  See attached images with sequence of steps ( Step 1 to Step 4 ).

Tried below all and verified setting up Google Voice , but still getting same error.

1. OBI device status is Green in OBI Dashboard.
2. All lights on OBI200 are blinking as expected
3. Echo test is successful.
4. Factory reset is successful.
5. IP address verification is completed successfully.
6. Verified that no firmware update is not required. ( As triangle symbol is not appearing on OBI
   dashboard and Dialed ***6 to verify that device is up to date)
7. Tried connecting to new Google Voice Number. Still no luck.
8. Verified Internet Router configuration to see any blockage in Router. No Blockage.
9. Deleted complete device from OBI dashboard and added again and tried setting up same old Google Voice Number but still it didn't work.

Did anyone face this issue ? what exactly means "Registration Not  Required" error means ? How to Resolve this problem ? Please help..

Thanks in Advance.

SteveInWA

I don't recall seeing that error message before.  It might be that the provisioning system is not working at this time.  I suggest doing nothing further, then tomorrow, power your OBiTALK device off and on again, wait a while and see what happens.

Taoman

Quote from: SKIN on June 04, 2018, 06:52:25 PM

6. Verified that no firmware update is not required. ( As triangle symbol is not appearing on OBI
   dashboard and Dialed ***6 to verify that device is up to date)

That means very little these days. Please provide your current firmware (SoftwareVersion) level as shown on the Status page.

restamp

"Registration not required" is not an error message.  It generally means you've unchecked X_RegisterEnable in Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP.  However, I've seen it show up erroneously if you pull up the Status page early in the boot sequence.  It generally remedies itself, being replaced by the correct status once the registration is actually attempted, so I'd say the production of a transient "Registration not required" does not in itself indicate a fault in the OBi.

Taoman

Quote from: restamp on June 04, 2018, 11:08:42 PM
"Registration not required" is not an error message.  It generally means you've unchecked X_RegisterEnable in Service Providers > ITSP Profile X > SIP.  However, I've seen it show up erroneously if you pull up the Status page early in the boot sequence.  It generally remedies itself, being replaced by the correct status once the registration is actually attempted, so I'd say the production of a transient "Registration not required" does not in itself indicate a fault in the OBi.

Exactly. Unless X_RegisterEnable is unchecked "Registration not required" means absolutely nothing. It shows up for most all SIP connections during startup until registration is completed.

SKIN

Thank you all for your reply.

I tried setting up Google Voice almost every day. But still no luck.

I verified that my firmware software version is "3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)" and Hardware version is "1.4"

And also as i mentioned on my first post -

"Registration not required" error stays only for few minutes on dashboard.
After few minutes, this error is changing it to "Connect Failed: No Response".

So how to avoid this error "Connect Failed: No Response"

Please help.

Taoman

Quote from: SKIN on June 05, 2018, 03:12:57 PM

So how to avoid this error "Connect Failed: No Response"

Interesting you're getting a "no response." Can you login to the OBi's local web gui to try and get the ip address the OBi is trying to connect to? See attached graphic.

If you reboot your OBi while on the local Status screen (using the Reboot button) and then keep refreshing your screen you should hopefully see the type of message in the attached graphic and see an ip address. Once you get the address try and ping it and see if you get a response. I assume your computer is on the same subnet your OBi is on?

SKIN

Taoman,

I don't see any Reboot button on my status tab of OBI expert configuration page.See attached.
I took IP address from here Status-->System Status-->WAN Status-->IP Address  tried to ping separately and i got timeout response . You can see my attached screenshot.This is the same IP address which i got from my phone by dialing ***1.

I tried connecting this IP address in browser and getting message  "xxx.xxx.x.xxx didn’t send any data". ( where x is IP address)

FYI...My OBI device and My computer is in different internet network.

What is this timeout error means ? my device is not getting any internet ? is there anything i am missing ?

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

Well, there's your problem.  Put them on the same network. 

Taoman

I asked you to login to the local web gui which means you wouldn't be using the OBitalk web portal.
Using the IPAddress of your OBi as seen in your WAN status graphic, open a new tab in your browser and navigate to that ip address. Username and password are both admin. That is the Status screen I am referring to and you will see the Reboot button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Quote from: SKIN on June 05, 2018, 04:28:38 PM

However, all bets are off until you explain the above sentence. How is your network configured? The ping test I suggested above is pointless unless you are pinging from a device that is on the same subnet your OBi device is on.

Edit: The fact you can neither ping nor navigate to your OBi device's IP address proves you have network issues.

SKIN

SteveInWA and Taoman,   

Thank you for your reply.

Now i tried all below steps in laptop which is in the same network as OBI device.

1. I tried connecting local web gui by typing IP address on browser.
2. I got Pop up asking for username and password.
3. I gave username and password as admin and admin. But it is giving me an error "401-Unauthorized".
4. I didn't change my password anytime and on my dashboard i still see my web admin password as "admin" but not  sure why i am not able to access local web gui.
5. I tried clearing cache / cookies on browser and tried logging in IP address local web gui. but still no luck.
6. I tried ping test for the same IP address in windows command prompt. I got message with
  Response time 50ms and sent packets 4 and received packets 4.

Please suggest what would be the solution in this case.

Thank you for your prompt response.

SteveInWA

All righty then.  It sounds like you have made some changes on the device which are causing this mess.

At this point, there's no telling what is wrong with the thing, so time for a complete do-over.

• Follow all of these steps, in order, and do not skip anything.
  • Sign into your OBiTALK dashboard.  Delete the device completely off of the page...gone.  Wait a few minutes.
  • Unplug the phone, power and Ethernet cables from the device.
  • Turn it upside-down on a flat, non-slip surface.
  • Straighten out a paper clip.  Find the small bump with a small hole it it, on the now-facing-up bottom of the device.
  • Gently insert and depress the recessed reset switch underneath that bump.  Hold it down; don't let go.
  • Plug in just the power cord.  Keep holding down the switch.  Wait about 15 seconds.  Remove the paper clip.  Turn the device back over.  Watch the three LEDs.
  • Wait until it restores itself to factory defaults, which will take a few minutes.  When the LEDs settle down, such that the left LED (power) is on steady and the middle LED is flickering, then unplug power again.
  • Plug in all three cables.  Wait for it to power up.
  • Pick up the phone and key in ***1 and you should hear it read out a valid IP address, starting with either 192.168. or 10.0.  If you do not hear an address like that, then STOP here and tell us what happened.
  • If you do hear a valid address like that, then re-add the device to the OBiTALK web portal by performing the **5 xxxx procedure.  Do NOT configure Google Voice yet.  Was that successful, meaning, the device was added and it now has a green circle next to it on the OBiTALK dashboard?

SKIN

Hi SteveInWA,

I executed all your mentioned steps in the same network as OBI Device.
I heard IP Address through phone and added device to OBI Talk Dashboard with **5 procedure.
Device addition is successful and i see GREEN status on OBI Dashboard. You can see attached screen print.

Hi Taoman, FYI.. My device is in Different Location ( In another country ) . I am executing all these steps in the same network as obi device with the help of my friend

Thank you.

SKIN

SteveInWA.
OBI Device is in INDIA.
And i was using from INDIA only since Dec 2015 onwards without any issues.
Suddenly it stopped working.

SteveInWA

OK, thanks.  Honesty, nobody has reported one way or the other if they were successful adding Google Voice to an OBi that is out of the country, while using the new Google Voice platform.  At least I can tell you that outbound calling is supported, from India to other countries, but not domestically (no India<-->India calls) due to Indian telecom regulations.

Now that you have a "fresh" OBi, successfully added to the portal, what happens if you try again to add Google Voice via the OBiTALK portal?

SKIN

SteveInWA,

I understand that domestic calls won't work through OBI Device in INDIA. Even i am not expecting any domestic calls.
I was using only USA to INDIA dialing or INDIA to USA dialing purpose only.
I tried connecting to Google voice number from INDIA now after did the whole setup but still got the same error -" Connect Failed-No Response".
But this time ,at least  i am able to login to Local WEB GUI of IP Address with admin username and password.
I did reboot again through local web gui and added google voice setup from USA . Still no luck.

Any suggestions...?

ygjin

I am in the SF Bay Area (CA, USA)

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for past two days with my Obi200 (12/07 and 12/08/2018).

I removed the Obi200 from my account, reset the device, reconnected to my account... same issue "Registration Not Required".

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

NotThat_JHud

I'm getting this error too "Connect Failed. No Response". In Texas, on the same network, didn't make any changes, up to date software. Suddenly all outgoing calls get the error "The number you dialed XXX-XXX-XXXX has not received a response from the service provider" I tried deleting the Obi 202 device and re-adding it. Followed the steps. What the heck is going on?