News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple OBI1022 no longer ringing right after support help

Started by RGCWireless, June 06, 2018, 10:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGCWireless

I hope I am posting in the right forum,

I am looking here to try to get help. Support abandoned me after telling me to remove all obitalk devices from my google voice account. After doing that, I had a difficult time getting all the phones back online. Support said they would all automagically reconnect, which was untrue!

Ever since this (which did not resolve the original problem) I can answer one incoming call (Google voice), but any other incomming calls will not ring the other phones while that call is active like it did before! I used to be able to have 2 incoming calls on the same GV number, now the line in use hears a call waiting beep instead of the other phones ringing.

I have contacted support for this issue, but they won't respond to emails or support requests! This is very disappointing, as I had been recommending their products up to this point. I had to figure out the other problem myself, and the solution had nothing to do with Google voice. It was a hardware issue with the OBI1022.

SteveInWA

I can answer one incoming call (Google voice), but any other incomming calls will not ring the other phones while that call is active like it did before! I used to be able to have 2 incoming calls on the same GV number, now the line in use hears a call waiting beep instead of the other phones ringing.

It's now working the way it was always intended to work:  if a linked phone number (or, in this case, an OBiTALK device) supports call waiting, and it is on one call, and another call comes in, you should hear a call-waiting beep and be able to switch calls.  It was never designed to ring other destinations in that scenario.  The fact that it worked was an anomaly.

Google Voice is intended for individual use, and it's not designed to be a business-class phone service.

If you need a hunt group, then you can consider using an ITSP that supports it, like Callcentric.

RGCWireless

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 06, 2018, 01:02:56 PM
I can answer one incoming call (Google voice), but any other incomming calls will not ring the other phones while that call is active like it did before! I used to be able to have 2 incoming calls on the same GV number, now the line in use hears a call waiting beep instead of the other phones ringing.

It's now working the way it was always intended to work:  if a linked phone number (or, in this case, an OBiTALK device) supports call waiting, and it is on one call, and another call comes in, you should hear a call-waiting beep and be able to switch calls.  It was never designed to ring other destinations in that scenario.  The fact that it worked was an anomaly.

Google Voice is intended for individual use, and it's not designed to be a business-class phone service.

If you need a hunt group, then you can consider using an ITSP that supports it, like Callcentric.

Ok, well then can I turn off the call waiting on google voice somehow? I would rather the calls go to voicemail instead of ringing call waiting and going unanswered.

Call forwarding on busy would be nice, but I doubt GV has that feature.

SteveInWA

Just ignore the waiting call, and it will be sent to Google Voice voicemail after the usual ~25 seconds of ring time.

RGCWireless

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 06, 2018, 02:37:22 PM
Just ignore the waiting call, and it will be sent to Google Voice voicemail after the usual ~25 seconds of ring time.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement service that will behave the same way GV used to behave on the Obi?

azrobert

I can confirm that simul-ring does not work when a device is on an active inbound call and only the active device will receive subsequent calls. I did not test when a device is on an outbound call or when two devices are busy.

You can use Forward on Busy to route subsequent calls to another device. You would use the OBiTalk network to forward. There has been problems in the past with forward on busy, so you would need to test this. You would also have to test receiving multiple calls after the device is busy. This might not be the best solution for a business, but I thought I would give you the option. Let me know if you want to try this and I'll show you how.

Edit:
Ignore my post, Bill's solution is better.

billsimon

Quote from: RGCWireless on June 07, 2018, 06:55:24 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 06, 2018, 02:37:22 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement service that will behave the same way GV used to behave on the Obi?

I assume if you forward your GV to a CallCentric number and then register multiple SIP devices to that CallCentric account, it would do what you want.

GVGW will also do what you want through our multiple SIP registrations. Sign-ups are presently closed but may reopen soon.