News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Additional Service Provider slots (SP3, SP4)

Started by MichiganTelephone, February 10, 2011, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganTelephone

I can think of several situations where it would be useful to have one or two more Service Provider slots.  I recognize that the device probably has memory constraints and that Service Provider slots probably eat up a lot of memory, but on the other hand it could be quite useful to have more than just two in various situations.  If it would not adversely affect the operation of the device in some way, I hope you will consider it.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Fabri

This would be great in Europe too- many telephone companies now provide VOIP only with low performance routers that have built-in pstn connections.
Would be great to use obi to replace these routers using an sp3 and sp4!

biomesh

If it cannot be included in the 110, maybe the next gen device could.

2 Phone Line support
4 Service Provider Slots
SIP registration support
Multiple outbound call support (to facilitate multiple phone support)
etc

Telecomgeek

This would definitely be a worthwhile feature.

plugger2

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on February 10, 2011, 01:37:37 PM
I can think of several situations where it would be useful to have one or two more Service Provider slots.  I recognize that the device probably has memory constraints and that Service Provider slots probably eat up a lot of memory, but on the other hand it could be quite useful to have more than just two in various situations.  If it would not adversely affect the operation of the device in some way, I hope you will consider it.

I started a thread recently requesting more SIP service provider slots as well. If adding more full registrable slots like the current SP1 and SP2 take up too much in the way of resources, SPA3102-style "gateway" slots could be a less resource intensive workaround.

It strikes me that it would appear be straightforward to change the existing 8 OBi gateway slots to also be usable for SIP service providers... allow putting in either a OBi number OR a SIP Proxy Server address into what is currently labelled the AccessNumber field (and perhaps a check box to indicate which kind of address it is, OBi number or SIP.) If these SIP gateway slots could be added into trunk groups, I for one would find that a very welcome and powerful addition!

OBi-Guru

Adding SP3 and SP4 would not be possible on the same OBi.

However, this can be done by adding another OBi (or more), and have it daisy-chained with the first one, connected via OBi numbers in the gateway slots.

Thunderbird1

Quote from: OBi-Guru on March 03, 2011, 01:10:44 PM

However, this can be done by adding another OBi (or more), and have it daisy-chained with the first one, connected via OBi numbers in the gateway slots.

Sounds like an expensive way to add a few SP gateways considering you'd need to purchase another Obi or two, probably a 4-8 port ethernet switch and a power board for the extra power packs.

A Minitar MVA11A ATA will accommodate up to 5 VSPs for a similar cost to an Obi110. Granted though, it lacks some of the funky features of the Obi, namely the AA.

GizmoChicken

Quote from: OBi-Guru on March 03, 2011, 01:10:44 PM

If I may ask, is the inability to add SP3 and SP4 accounts due to a hardware limitation?  

Or is it that OBi (understandably) wishes to sell more OBi units?   ;)

Although I'm not opposed to buying additional OBi devices, I'd prefer not to have multiple boxes cluttering up my desk.  So if the latter is the case (and I surely don't fault OBi if it is), then I'll just reiterate that:

Quote from: GizmoChicken on April 25, 2011, 01:23:26 AM
I'd be willing to pay a small fee for "premium" firmware, so long as that premium firmware allowed for additional (preferably unlimited) SP accounts, including Google Voice accounts.

Or if a hardware limitation doesn't permit adding additional SP accounts to an OBi100 or OBi110, then I'd like to suggest a future model such as the following:

Quote from: GizmoChicken on April 25, 2011, 01:46:58 AM
But if OBi ever builds a device with 2 FXS ports, I hope that the device allows for registering several (preferably unlimited, but no less than 10) SP accounts.  In such a case, I would hope that the device would allow for configuring multiple SP accounts to ring on one of the lines and multiple other SP accounts to ring on the other line.

Or better still:

Quote from: GizmoChicken on April 26, 2011, 02:45:18 AM
I too would like to see a model with 4 FXS ports.  And I would hope that such a device would support at least 8 SP accounts.  Further, if at all possible, I would hope that a user would have the ability to allocate SP account to the FXS ports as flexibly as possible.  For example, on one OBi I might want to have 2 SP accounts on each of the 4 FXS ports.  But on another OBi, I might want to have 1 SP account each 3 FXS ports, with the remaining 5 SP accounts on the remaining (4th) FXS port.