News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

unable to register new OBI200.

Started by indiie1138, June 11, 2018, 10:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indiie1138

new OBI200 set up. I get past the **5 then it asks me for an admin password, nothing works.  What is this password and were do I find it?

SteveInWA

The **5 procedure does not ask for an administrative password.  It displays a random 4-digit code on your computer screen, and it tells you to enter **5xxxx, where the x's represent the 4-digit code.

If you need the admin password for some reason, it is admin.  If the device doesn't respond to that password, then it is not a new device, because somebody changed the password.  In that case, you can restore the device to factory defaults, by picking up the phone and keying in ***8 then 1.

indiie1138

If you read what I posted you would know I said I got the **5 1234 number and that that part worked and the device appeared set up (see attached), but it wanted an "admin" password to complete the set up (see same attachment).  No password is working What admin account is it referring to?      

I have access to the web manager on the device and that password is not working on the Obi set up page.

SteveInWA

I did read your post.  It contained too little information to be clear, and all too often, we go down a troubleshooting path with someone, only to realize that we assumed they understood some concept that they did not, and it was the actual problem.

Your situation is still unclear.  On the one hand, you show screenshots from the local web interface.  That UI is password protected.  It should have popped up a window asking for the user name and password, to be able to access it.  THAT is the administrative password.  By default, the user name is "admin", and the password is "admin".  If somebody changed it, then you need to use that password.  That is the password OBiTALK is asking you to confirm.  It's a security issue:  if you could remotely access the device via OBiTALK without knowing the password assigned to that device, then you could grab control of somebody else's device.

I explained that, if this is a brand new device from a legitimate retailer (e.g. Amazon, B&H Photo, Frys, Newegg), then it should be set to admin/admin out of the box.  If you bought it off of eBay, it is probably used.  The factory restore procedure I mentioned will restore the password to admin.

indiie1138

As shown in the screen shots I do have access to the web management of the device I know that password, that password is not working on the OBI website setup screen nor is the default admin password.  That is why I wanted to know what password it was asking for.   I can reset the device to factory but I shouldn't have to as I know the password.

SteveInWA

You are doing something wrong, but it is unclear from your posts, what it is.  It is impossible for the password to work on the local interface, but not on the OBiTALK portal.

Delete the device off of the OBiTALK dashboard.  Pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1.  Wait.  After a while, the LEDs will show that it's idle and ready to use (left LED is steady green, middle LED is flickering).

Then, add it back to the portal.  Again:  the user name will be admin and the administrative password is admin.

indiie1138

I paper clipped the device to factory reset it and this time the set up worked but was very different.  I still have no idea what my phone number is.

drgeoff

Quote from: indiie1138 on June 11, 2018, 12:26:05 PMI still have no idea what my phone number is.
OBi devices do not have phone numbers out of the box.  The Internet Telephony Service Provider(s) that you subscribe to allocate the number(s).  In some cases you have some degree of choice over the number.

What ITSP(s) have you chosen?