News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric 911 service: 933 reads back wrong zip code 4-digit suffix.

Started by Rick1441, June 12, 2018, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick1441

I have a new installation of the Obi200 with Google Voice, and I am using Callcentric for 911 service. 

I find that when I dial 933 to test 911, it reads back my address correctly, except that the four digits appended to the 5-digit zip code I gave Callcentric are incorrect, IOW, the "+4" portion of my Zip+4 is incorrect.

I don't know if this would make any difference in practice, i.e., whether it could somehow trip up an emergency dispatcher.  I kind of doubt it, but since we are talking 911 I'd prefer that everything is correct.

I planned to check with Callcentric, but decided first to see if anyone else who knows their correct zip+4 might want to check to see if they have a similar situation (or has noticed it in the past).

Thanks.

SteveInWA

I didn't think about it when I set up Callcentric 911, but I did enter my full "ZIP+4" code.  I guess I am just OCD about specifying it all the time.  I just now called 933, and it correctly read out my ZIP+4... including the correct 4 digits.

You'll have to contact CC about it.  It will be interesting to know what they tell you.  I would not be surprised if they tell you to not include the last 4 digits.  I have no idea how the actual E911 PSAP system displays callers' locations, but I am guessing it doesn't care about ZIP+4, since so few people even know what it is.  It's likely that they just use the street name and address number.

Rick1441

The reply from Callcentric was, "Please note that our 911 provider does not route addresses with the zip code+4, therefore our text to speech is still providing you with the correct zip code of ##### (my five-digit zip)."  

Further, I looked at the USPS address lookup again ( https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress ), but without inputting my unit number, it offers up four different possible suffixes.  The one 933 is reading back to me appears to be a less-specific version that covers my address and some neighboring addresses.  As long as they have my unit number (which *is* included), they wouldn't need my "+4" even in the highly-unlikely event +4 is ever used.

SteveInWA

Thanks; that makes sense.  My understanding of how ZIP+4 is used for multi-unit buildings, is that it's just a piece of data the USPS uses to sort the mail into smaller piles for easier delivery.  They also have several other numbers, unnoticed by most customers, like the carrier route number, and other numbers used by mass shippers to pre-sort by destination.