News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issue when calling Google Voice to Comcast Voice

Started by ehm1217, June 13, 2018, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehm1217

A new sporadic issue has cropped up over the last month when I place calls to people to using Comcast Voice and have the newer combined Xfi modem-routers Comcast is pushing. The call goes through fine but when answered I hear a loud static burst and the person I called gets nothing but dead air.  Otherwise my Obi202 (Google Voice) has been and continues to work fine for all other calls. The only thing, like I said, that I've been able to isolate is that this is only happening when calling Comcast Voice users. (I also use Comcast Internet but not voice).  This is also sporadic. The same call might go through fine the second time. I'm at loss for next steps. Any thoughts would help. Thanks.

RFC3261

Quote from: ehm1217 on June 13, 2018, 06:47:44 AM
The call goes through fine but when answered I hear a loud static burst ... This is also sporadic ...
There is an acknowledged issue that causes noise when changing codecs(*).  This *may* be your issue.  The companies involved are working the problem (as far as I know they have not yet shared specific target dates for resolution).  The only current advice seems to be to have patience, and when the fix is rolled out, see if your problems are also resolved.

(*) Technically, as I recall, changing codecs is allowed in the specs, but is something that is sufficiently uncommon that some devices/codes had apparently not been tested to that part of the specs.

janice

I'm having the same problem, made especially worse since the comcast outage. it is outgoing only. Before the outage it was simply a lag wen the person picked up so I missed hello, then it progressed to  me not being able to hear them at all, but they could hear me. Now the calls do not connect. I had to bypass google voice on the outgoing leg entirely as of today. All other calls work fine. Incoming calls from comcast voice work fine. It's really bad.

bbarker

Did anybody figure this out?  It stopped for a little while, but now it happens every time I call directly from my phone.  If I have Google Voice call me and then place the call, it works fine every time.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, I figured out that the other person can hear me, but all I hear is loud static.

zapattack

I have NAT Mapping Enabled on my SPA phone.
Otherwise random static occurrences.
On the OBi GV  SIP  X_DetectALG
My Netgear router does NOT have SIP ALG disabled.

bbarker

Quote from: zapattack on October 24, 2018, 11:23:47 AM
I have NAT Mapping Enabled on my SPA phone.
Otherwise random static occurrences.
On the OBi GV  SIP  X_DetectALG
My Netgear router does NOT have SIP ALG disabled.

I have an ASUS Router and their documentation says SIP ALG is disabled by disabling SIP Passthrough, which I've done.

I'm not sure what you mean by NAT Mapping Enabled.  I have an OBi200 if that matters.

jw25

Has a resolution for this issue been found  I'm experiencing this when trying to call someone who has a Comcast phone.

DavidL

I'm experiencing this issue with increased frequency.  As described in the thread, it occurs only when I call an Xfinity Voice subscriber.

My parents currently subscribe to Xfinity Voice.  I've been planning to switch them to the same setup that I use (Google Voice for outgoing calls / Callcentric for incoming calls and 911 calls) during my next visit.  Presumably, this would eliminate the problem when I call them, but it would introduce the problem when they call Xfinity Voice subscribers.

Is there any update on the matter?  Is a fix in active development?  Is "[having] Google Voice call me and then [placing] the call" the only workaround available?

bbarker

This has been going on for months now.  I don't think they're even trying to fix this.

aleet

I have this problem since day 1 I bought Obi202.  I wish they would tell people, so I won't get in this mess.

Michael_Reeder

I have been having a similar issue since I got "upgraded" to their newest modem/router earlier this month.

I will start a new thread since my issue is a bit different.