News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Auto Firmware update setting

Started by Patrick7, June 20, 2018, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick7

My firmware crashed on an Obi200. I found a 5775EX firmware in the forums, which brought it back online, and seems to work, except for Google Voice. I know Polycom/Obihai and Google are going thru changes/upgrades so i suspect some of my GV issues are due to that. However, I do know that the latest firmware is at least 58xx,and would like to push an upgrade. I tried calling the ***6, (no upgrade available). Now I look in Obitalk,and auto firmware update is disabled,  and the drop down box is grayed out?  Is this a default setting?? I certainly didn't disable it.....

Thanks

drgeoff

Use Expert mode on the portal (obitalk.com). Clear both boxes at the right hand end of the line. You will then be able to change the setting. Then click 'Submit' at the bottom.

Patrick7

y question is "Should the Auto firmware update" be disabled??  How does it get updates if  Obihai is shutting off  this feature in Obitalk??

drgeoff

Quote from: Patrick7 on June 20, 2018, 12:12:05 PM
y question is "Should the Auto firmware update" be disabled??  How does it get updates if  Obihai is shutting off  this feature in Obitalk??
I think Obihai can disregard that setting and do so if they consider an update is necessary.

In any case, given that the firmware needed to operate the latest incarnation of GV can only be obtained as a push from Obihai, I would enable the auto update.

bsdaiwa

I have 8 OBi 200's and they have a mix of firmware's ranging from 3.2.2 (Build 5859EX), 3.2.2 (Build 5854EX) and 3.2.2 (Build 5829EX). I have enabled Auto Firmware update pointing to http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi2-latest.fw with Interval set to 86400 and after several days none of the units has updated to the latest firmware, nothing changed. Any suggestions?

SteveInWA

Suggestions?  Yes, remove that setting, because, thanks to their sloppy (to say the least) firmware management, if it tries to get the firmware from that link, it will likely be downlevel.

Per DrGeoff's comment, we don't know how it works, but Polycom can push updates if necessary.

Set yours to the OBiTALK default values.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 20, 2018, 01:21:33 PM
Suggestions?  Yes, remove that setting, because, thanks to their sloppy (to say the least) firmware management, if it tries to get the firmware from that link, it will likely be downlevel.

Per DrGeoff's comment, we don't know how it works, but Polycom can push updates if necessary.

Set yours to the OBiTALK default values.

Done, thanks. I heard that removing the OBi from the web portal then reinstalling it would cause the firmware to update, what do you think?

SteveInWA

Anecdotally, yes, that seems to do it, but, disclaimer:  YMMV, depending on anything in your LAN that might be blocking the communications, or whether it is sunny out vs. rainy.  To be clear, removing the device from the dashboard and then re-adding it will wipe out the settings that are now on the device.  So you might as well delete it off of the dashboard, unplug the Ethernet cable, then restore it to factory defaults by keying in ***8 the 1 and waiting.  After you do this, plug in the Ethernet cable again, and re-add it to the dashboard, it looks like a new device that needs a firmware update.