News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone on POTS lines unless . . .

Started by MrNetwork, August 27, 2011, 08:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrNetwork

I disconnected the incoming POTS line at the demarc. When I connect a cable from the Obi110's line jack to the wall jack, I get no dial tone. However, if I connect a cable from the phone port on the Obi to the wall jack, I get a dial tone on the house phones. I then tried to connect a phone to the Obi's line port but nothing happened.

The LED on the Obi's phone indicator is always green whether anything is connected to it or not. When I connect anything to the line port, the line port indicator stays unlit but the phone LED stays lit.

I have rebooted the Obi and all LED's blink during power up.

Everton

You did it correctly by connecting the PHONE port to the Wall Jack in order to to place and receive calls to the other phones in your home that are connected to the house wiring!  The LINE port is used to connect a POTS Line to the OBi110, so that incoming calls on your POTS line is sent to the PHONE port or to place outgoing calls from your PHONE port using your POTS Line as a outgoing Trunk. 

I assume you are not using a DSL Line for internet?

MrNetwork

Thanks for your help. I totally missed that concept.

I have no DSL line.

LeftRight

Be note that OBi110 PHONE provides power and acts as phone company, so you can use it to power up your home phone system. While OBi110 LINE port provides NO power, you won't be able to obtain a dial tone by connecting a phone to it.

Just be careful when you set up the device, NEVER connect your PSTN line to OBi110 PHONE port, doing so could potentially damage the device. Since you have disconnected your PSTN line, what you experience seems to be correct behavior on the OBi side.

MrNetwork

Thanks again.

One other thing I would have done if I had planned ahead. I would have checked to see whether my landline number could have been ported into GV after I ported it to T-Mobile. Unfortunately in my area code GV doesn't support porting yet. So now my old landline number is stuck on T-Mobile prepaid. Still having GV on my home wiring is going to save me a lot of money. Maybe in a few months GV will allow me to port my landline number in.