News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I didn't realize the learning curve! First, I need service provider suggestions.

Started by ohonobie, June 23, 2018, 01:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohonobie

I have the Obihai202. My goal is to have a dedicated fax, and port my landline, and have cheap service like I thought I was getting with GV. GV will not port my home number (now on a cell phone), because it's one of those numbers it won't. What's my best choice in service provider? I would be okay with low outgoing minutes for a cheap rate. (CallCentric won't port my number, either.)

Alternatively. should I just use my Obihai for my fax (since I own it already) with my brand new GV number, and just get a Nettalk or Magic Jack to port my home number?

Or, I *think* I read that the Obihai202 can run two providers, so maybe GV/fax, and another provider who will port my number and be cheap?

I have spent many days and several billion hours trying to get the information I need to make an informed choice, and I'm failing! I'm really hoping that those who already know will direct me. While I still have any brain cells left.

:-\

drgeoff

An Obi202 can run up to 4 service providers for inbound and outbound calls.  And with some limitations up to an additional 8 for outbound.

The above in addition to the Obitalk network for calls to other OBis.

Plus inbound and outbound on a POTS line with the optional OBiLINE.

Plus inbound and outbound over a cellular network if the Obi202 plus optional OBiBT is paired with a Bluetooth cellphone.

ohonobie

Quote from: drgeoff on June 23, 2018, 02:06:43 PM
An Obi202 can run up to 4 service providers for inbound and outbound calls.

Great! One question answered, a billion to go.

Quote from: drgeoff on June 23, 2018, 02:06:43 PM.....Plus inbound and outbound on a POTS line with the optional OBiLINE.

I don't know why one would want Obiline with a POTS--you still have to pay the POTS service provider, right?

Quote from: drgeoff on June 23, 2018, 02:06:43 PMPlus inbound and outbound over a cellular network if the Obi202 plus optional OBiBT is paired with a Bluetooth cellphone.

Again, you still have to pay the the cellular network provider, right? Not sure what the use is.

I try to Google these questions, really I do, I just can't make sense of what I'm reading.

Since getting a dedicated fax and porting home number on the dirt-cheap is my goal, it looks like without GV, that isn't going to happen with the Obi. As I recall, Nettalk and Magic Jack were only $30/year. Can I get any service that cheap to work with my Obi, besides GV?

zsak23

Quote from: ohonobie on June 23, 2018, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on June 23, 2018, 02:06:43 PMPlus inbound and outbound over a cellular network if the Obi202 plus optional OBiBT is paired with a Bluetooth cellphone.

Again, you still have to pay the the cellular network provider, right? Not sure what the use is.

With unlimited cell phone plans this can solve the problem of less than perfect cell phone coverage inside one's house.  The cell phone can be located to get the best coverage.

drgeoff

Quote from: ohonobie on June 23, 2018, 05:17:52 PM
I don't know why one would want Obiline with a POTS--you still have to pay the POTS service provider, right?
Answers are often written to be of benefit to more people than only the original questioner.  And there are places in the world where internet access and POTS (either real POTS over copper or emulated over cable or fibre) are not sold separately.

By your argument, there would be no market for the OBi110, OBiLINE and OBi212.

ohonobie

Thank you drgeoff and zsak23 for explaining! Not that I understand the other devices mentioned, but I don't need to, now. I want to figure out this Obi202, that I got believing it would do everything I needed with GV.

So, I can use my device with my new GV number for a dedicated fax line (with my HP5610 printer/fax, I hope).
I can also use it with another service provider who will port my home number. Is there one for $3ish a month? I'm not finding one. What would be the downside to just using a Nettalk or Magic Jack to keep my home number, if it will be $20-30/year after purchase?

SteveInWA

Or, how about $1.95/month for 120 minutes of outbound calling from Callcentric, and free inbound calling if you get one of their free NY State phone numbers.  This $1.95 per month rate includes the normally $1.50/month E911 service, so you are actually getting the 120 minutes for 45 cents more than just E911 service.

https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/north_america_basic/

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 01:11:31 PM
Or, how about $1.95/month for 120 minutes of outbound calling from Callcentric,

Because OP wants to port his number and supposedly Callcentric can't do that.

SteveInWA

It would be unusual if Google Voice and Callcentric can't port it in, but Anveo can, since GV and Anveo both use bandwith.com, but CC also has some other carrier they can use.  So, I dunno what's going on here.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 01:49:34 PM
It would be unusual if Google Voice and Callcentric can't port it in, but Anveo can, since GV and Anveo both use bandwith.com, but CC also has some other carrier they can use.  So, I dunno what's going on here.

Agreed. Doesn't make sense to me, either.

SteveInWA

So, unless Anveo conclusively tells the OP that they can indeed port that number in, then it is a moot point which ITSP is chosen, aside from cost/value.  They might as well get a new phone number from the ITSP.

ohonobie

Well, you all are correct that Anveo also won't port my number, according to their portability tool.

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 01:49:34 PM

The CC portability tool said it wouldn't. Is that the final word?

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 02:00:37 PM
So, unless Anveo conclusively tells the OP that they can indeed port that number in, then it is a moot point which ITSP is chosen, aside from cost/value.  They might as well get a new phone number from the ITSP.

So you're saying NOBODY will port my number? There must be other carriers besides bandwidth.com and the other one at CC?

Quote from: Taoman on June 24, 2018, 01:40:58 PM
Because OP wants to port his number and supposedly Callcentric can't do that.

I'm female, and my Obihai is making me feel very blonde.

SteveInWA

Don't feel "blonde", unless...well, you actually are.  Telephony is very complex.

Not all telephone numbers are portable into all carriers.  In the USA, phone numbers are issued to Federally-regulated telephone carriers in large blocks (usually 10,000, but sometimes 1000), by an industry organization known as the North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA).  A number block is indicated by the first seven digits of the number, like this:  2138675xxx.  In this example, it's Area Code 213, prefix 867, and block 5.  More than one carrier often has blocks in the same prefix.

When you port a number, you are not actually changing the ownership of that number, which always belongs to the first/original carrier to which that block of numbers was assigned.  Instead, the "losing" carrier lets the "gaining" carrier borrow and re-route inbound calls to the gaining carrier's phone switch.
This is all controlled by another neutral, third-party organization, the Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC).  If the gaining carrier can host a number from a given block, then it works with NPAC to assign new routing for that number.

When the phone number is in a block that the gaining carrier can't re-route to their switch, it's not portable to that carrier.  In your case, apparently no other carrier can host the number.

If you want to use an OBiTALK product, you can get a new phone number from the telephone service provider you wish to use.

ohonobie

SteveInWA, this Obihai is far more complex than I anticipated. It is turning my hair gray, or blonde, not sure which.

I did manage to find your explanation above, earlier on another thread. But surely my number would be portable by SOME carrier--Well, I'm sure I found one or two that said they would, but they were too expensive. My inner cheapskate is too riled knowing that lower prices exist.

My home number has the original prefix in my small town, and the last four digits 1001, so it's a good number, and one I've had for upwards of 20 years.

I guess it's Nettalk or Magic Jack, then. What are the drawbacks to one of them? Other than loss of bragging rights. ;)

SteveInWA

Quote from: ohonobie on June 24, 2018, 08:49:12 PM
SteveInWA, this Obihai is far more complex than I anticipated. It is turning my hair gray, or blonde, not sure which.

I did manage to find your explanation above, earlier on another thread. But surely my number would be portable by SOME carrier--Well, I'm sure I found one or two that said they would, but they were too expensive. My inner cheapskate is too riled knowing that lower prices exist.

My home number has the original prefix in my small town, and the last four digits 1001, so it's a good number, and one I've had for upwards of 20 years.

I guess it's Nettalk or Magic Jack, then. What are the drawbacks to one of them? Other than loss of bragging rights. ;)

What are the first seven digits of your telephone number, e.g. 2138675xxx ?

ohonobie

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
What are the first seven digits of your telephone number, e.g. 2138675xxx ?

6414721xxx

SteveInWA

Well, there you have it:  that entire prefix is owned by Windstream, and there are no other carriers with access to it.  so, while Windstream is required by FCC regulations to make their numbers available for porting out, no other carrier seems to want to provide service for that prefix.

Therefore:  your number is not portable, no matter which carrier you try.

Your choices are:  get a new Google Voice number, or a new number from some other VoIP service provider (e.g. Anveo, Callcentric, Phonepower, voip.ms), or don't use the OBiTALK device.  magicJack isn't significantly cheaper than any other service provider, and their customer support is infamously horrible.

ohonobie

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 24, 2018, 09:08:12 PM
Well, there you have it:  that entire prefix is owned by Windstream, and there are no other carriers with access to it.  so, while Windstream is required by FCC regulations to make their numbers available for porting out, no other carrier seems to want to provide service for that prefix.

Therefore:  your number is not portable, no matter which carrier you try.

Your choices are:  get a new Google Voice number, or a new number from some other VoIP service provider (e.g. Anveo, Callcentric, Phonepower, voip.ms), or don't use the OBiTALK device.  magicJack isn't significantly cheaper than any other service provider, and their customer support is infamously horrible.

Thanks for checking that for me. Another good reason to hate Windstream! (Besides the crappy internet service they gave me until I quit.)

From what I read, both Nettalk Duo and MJ are $20-30/year after purchasing the device, and that's about as cheap as the cheapest Obi-compatible service provider. I was leaning toward Nettalk Duo after reading too many reviews. (Before I discovered the Obi202.)

Taoman

Quote from: ohonobie on June 24, 2018, 09:37:05 PM

Thanks for checking that for me. Another good reason to hate Windstream! (Besides the crappy internet service they gave me until I quit.)

Don't think this has anything to do with Windstream. I believe it's the 641 area code. Prime location for traffic pumping. Termination fees are outrageous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_641