News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi200 no dial tone

Started by AntonyB, June 24, 2018, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonyB

I have been using my OBi200 with Google Voice with no problems for a year or two. Today, I no longer hear dial tone so I cannot call out, and calls made to my Google Voice number do not ring the phone connected to the OBi200. I have tried multiple phones/lines. The OBi200 device displays 3 green lights for Phone, Network, Power. I have tried power cycling a couple of times. The software is at 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). When logging in to the ObiTalk website, I see my device shown as Connected. When logging in directly to the device at its IP address, and clicking on Phone Port status, all listed parameters are blank. 

Does this sound like a dead OBi200, and are there any diagnostics I can perform to confirm this? Any other suggestions?
thanks,
AntonyB

drgeoff

Quote from: AntonyB on June 24, 2018, 08:56:30 AM
I have been using my OBi200 with Google Voice with no problems for a year or two. Today, I no longer hear dial tone so I cannot call out, and calls made to my Google Voice number do not ring the phone connected to the OBi200. I have tried multiple phones/lines. The OBi200 device displays 3 green lights for Phone, Network, Power. I have tried power cycling a couple of times. The software is at 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). When logging in to the ObiTalk website, I see my device shown as Connected. When logging in directly to the device at its IP address, and clicking on Phone Port status, all listed parameters are blank. 

Does this sound like a dead OBi200, and are there any diagnostics I can perform to confirm this? Any other suggestions?
thanks,
AntonyB
Use either Expert Mode on the portal or point your browser at the OBi200's IP address on your LAN and login with admin as name and password.

Go to Status, then Phone Port Status. Blanks or zero voltage mean a hardware failure.

AntonyB

As I mentioned in my post, I have done that and all the Phone Port status parameters are blank. So I guess this is a dead OBi200. Is this a common failure mode after a few years of use, or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks.

drgeoff

Quote from: AntonyB on June 24, 2018, 12:13:02 PM
As I mentioned in my post, I have done that and all the Phone Port status parameters are blank. So I guess this is a dead OBi200. Is this a common failure mode after a few years of use, or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks.
Difficult to say if it is a common failure mode but we do see the same question about no dial tone and subsequent finding of blank values every so often on the forum.  My feeling is that more of these come from OBi20x users than OBi1x0 users but maybe there are more of the former.

A good way to cause this failure to occur sooner or later is to connect the Phone port to house phone wiring that has not been properly disconnected from a telco line.  But unprovoked component failures can also happen.