News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Accessing Google Voice VM from My Panasonic Answering Machine

Started by mobilelawyer, June 25, 2018, 05:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilelawyer

Successfully migrated my VOIPo number to T-Mobile, then ported it to GV and have my Panasonic cordless answering system connected to my Obi 200.

All works well.

For home use, the family needs to access voice mail from the local handsets. I shortened the ring on the Panasonic so that it picks up the call before GV, and all incoming calls are answered without issue, and VM light blinks, etc.

The Panasonic allows entry of the providers VM number as well, so you can by-pass the local answer. What number do I enter to have it call Google VM instead of using the Panasonic answering machine? Google Voice forum said to enter <google voice number>PP<google voice PIN>. I have not done that yet, and have not set up a PIN in Google Voice.

Should this work? I infer from various posts that if I set it up that way, the blinking message light would not work on the Panasonic. True? If so, I am going to be forced to re-program my wife. That task may be the most formidable of all!

SteveInWA

Why didn't you believe my answer over on the Google Voice help forum?  You need to set a voicemail PIN and then call your own Google Voice number to access voicemail.

If this is too different from old-fashioned POTS service, then I suggest you instead use a bare-bones SIP VoIP telephone service provider, and simply disable their voicemail.

mobilelawyer

Sorry. Did not know you were one and the same person. I think my post actually defers to your advice, rather than argue with it, though.