News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I didn't realize the learning curve! First, I need service provider suggestions.

Started by ohonobie, June 23, 2018, 01:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohonobie

Quote from: Taoman on June 24, 2018, 09:46:46 PM
Don't think this has anything to do with Windstream. I believe it's the 641 area code. Prime location for traffic pumping. Termination fees are outrageous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_641

Quote from article:
"Traffic pumping
Main article: traffic pumping
A large number of calling card and conference service providers operate in area 641. When one calls a rural number in area 641, the long distance provider has to pay the termination fee to the receiving telecom party: up to 8 cents a minute. Using this arbitrage, some of the service providers operate here and require one to dial the 'local access number' in area 641. Large telecom providers are the hardest hit with the costs for these so-called free service providers. AT&T filed a suit to withhold these arbitrage payments (AT&T got a $2 million bill a month). (March 2007)"

My few remaining brain cells grasp the very basic gist of this. Best summed up as, service providers pay too much for the use of my area code for a low-cost provider to want to deal with it.
But Nettalk will:
"Great News!
You are able to transfer your existing phone number to a netTALK device."
The details online are looking more complicated than my original look, but I guess I'll be going deeper into Nettalk and MJ, now.

Thank you all, for the education.

Taoman

Quote from: ohonobie on June 24, 2018, 10:23:47 PM
Best summed up as, service providers pay too much for the use of my area code for a low-cost provider to want to deal with it.

You got it. The only reason you could port into Verizon was because they charge an arm and a leg.

Personally, I would look at Nettalk before MJ.

ohonobie

Quote from: Taoman on June 24, 2018, 10:59:43 PM
Personally, I would look at Nettalk before MJ.

Argh. 5 million hours of comparing the two (including before I found the Obihai202 and heard music from 2001 Space Odyssey playing in my head), waffling back and forth, I just ordered an MJ last night @ 2:00AM. Negative Nettalk reviews must have been the last things I read, before pulling the trigger. On the bright side, it was only $35 including a year's service. I'm going to get a line on my Obihai, too, to compare them.