October 21, 2018, 04:19:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google voice on OBi200 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) CNAM lookup from google contacts  (Read 32958 times)
SteveInUS

« on: June 27, 2018, 11:41:25 am »

Appears now we get free CNAM lookup from google contacts for Google voice on OBi200  3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 05:24:08 pm »

This is part of the new VoIP infrastructure for Google Voice.  It's not "CNAM" in the traditional sense; it is not accessing one of the national telco industry LIDB data bases; it is simply matching inbound telephone call numbers with records in your Google Contacts, as you observed.  But hey, it's better than nothing!

RFC3261

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:25:56 pm »

But hey, it's better than nothing!
Agreed.  Although in a couple of cases that meant I needed to edit the names to be slightly more generically descriptive (and less, um, pointed).
eslop

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:09:48 am »

I actually prefer that I can be in charge as to what is displayed for a number on my phone (without having to deal with (e.g. add) all those numbers/contacts on the phone itself, using some cumbersome interface). Ofcourse it would be nice if no match exists in my contacts a "regular telco" CNAM lookup was done/sent - which is actually something that seems to be done by Google, since the Hangouts app (receiving the same call) does (or at least it used to) display such info (even when dialing out via it!).
overhear

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:17 pm »

Can you tell me how to use this feature? I've just installed an Obi200 and am hoping to avoid having to re-enter my google contacts manually into the old Panasonic cordless phone (KX-TG7642) that I've attached to the Obi200.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:59:33 pm »

Can you tell me how to use this feature? I've just installed an Obi200 and am hoping to avoid having to re-enter my google contacts manually into the old Panasonic cordless phone (KX-TG7642) that I've attached to the Obi200.

The (USA) caller ID system has two parts:  the phone number (CID) and the calling party's name (CNAM).  The phone number is sent by your service provider (e.g. Google Voice, Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.) with your outbound call.  The calling party's name is not sent for calls that traverse the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN).  Instead, the called party's (your) telephone service provider may (or may not) look up the name in a database of phone numbers matched to names.  There is a cost to maintain these databases that service providers have to pay. 

Google Voice doesn't pay to use CNAM, so it is not doing a look-up in the industry databases when somebody calls your Google Voice phone number.  Google offers a partial solution:  if the telephone number of the person calling you is in your Google Contacts, then Google Voice will match that name and number and display it on your telephone.  If the calling number is a business that Google knows about, it will display that business' name.  If neither of those things are available, then it will only display the numeric CID.

None of this has anything to do with the address book/contacts list stored locally on your cordless phone.  If you want to store names and numbers there, you can certainly do that, too.  Typically, whatever is stored locally on your telephone will override whatever is being sent from the telephone network.

zsak23

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:51:47 am »

Google offers a partial solution:  if the telephone number of the person calling you is in your Google Contacts, then Google Voice will match that name and number and display it on your telephone.  If the calling number is a business that Google knows about, it will display that business' name. 

I have noticed that on the Google Voice Calls page it is easy to add people to Contacts but not businesses.  But not all business have names available.  It would be nice to be able to add these easier.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: