News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Sending a Fax over IP using OBi202?

Started by Bigpat, June 27, 2018, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigpat

Hello all

I'm reaching out as this is my first time sending a fax from my own home using the  OBi202. It been more than 4 month since I switched from Vonage to  OBi202 and so far all has been well.

I wanted to find out is it possible to send a fax while using the Obi202. I'm asking as I see a lot of user online stating that fax over VOIP will not go thought correctly but they seems to be posted message from 2016 and I can't for the life of me find any updated message.

I'm I able to send a fax while using the Obi202. I'm thinking since its 2018 and technology is constantly update this should be possible by now. I just wanted to reach out and see if this is the case and I'm able to send faxes via VOIP via the Obi202.

I'm using a Brother MFC-L2740DW to send 4 pages.

Thank you
Bigpat

RFC3261

Quote from: Bigpat on June 27, 2018, 11:48:10 AM
I wanted to find out is it possible to send a fax while using the Obi202. I'm asking as I see a lot of user online stating that fax over VOIP will not go thought correctly
Faxing over VoIP tends to be hit or miss in the general case.  Solutions and ITSPs that support T.38 are more likely to be successful (the OBi devices can do T.38 if configured appropriately, not all ITSPs may do T.38).  There are ways that one can improve the odds for other providers, but it is definitely going to be hit or miss.

RFC3261

Quote from: RFC3261 on June 27, 2018, 10:17:34 PM
Faxing over VoIP tends to be hit or miss in the general case.
Here is an older web page dedicated to explaining some of the nuances regarding faxing over VoIP: https://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html

tommc4

Not sure on the OBI yet, I just asked about that and other things in a previous post.  I know that I CAN do it on my MagicJack, and it has never failed.  Ising the MJ Go unit, with the same Laser (Bro 2740)(good taste in printers!).