News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 200 and Google Voice: No audio either way on outgoing calls

Started by cubicpie, June 29, 2018, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubicpie

As the title says: On outgoing calls, I hear ringing for a bit. After a while (presumably when the phone is picked up) the ringing stops and there is only silence. The person on the other end cannot hear me and I cannot hear them.

(But I just double-checked now with my cell phone and audio from the cell reached the OBi—the other direction did not work. This is not how it worked with a different call just a few minutes ago, when there was no audio in either direction.)

Incoming calls work fine.

This is a new development; before a week or so ago, outgoing calls worked fine. To my knowledge no OBi or network settings have changed since then.

Any ideas?

EDIT 6/2/18: Updating to firmware 3.2.2 (can't be done manually, had to re-add my device to the OBi provisioning portal) seems to have solved the issue.

EDIT 6/6/18: I removed the device from OBiTALK after setting it all up—and that seems to have broken it again. Tried re-adding GV to the provisioning site but now I don't have incoming calls or incoming audio on outgoing calls. Haven't yet tried a full device reset, but I guess that's the next step.

soundview

Same problem on my Obi202. Tried turning off and back on both router and Obi device. Firmware checked and echo test works. Very frustrated here!

JTrain

Same problems with my Obi 202.  I called work and then downloaded the voicemail message.  Call went thru but no sound in message.

JLJomatic

Related issue just started for me about 24 hours ago using OBi100 w/ Google Voice via the Simonics GVGW portal: I can hear dial tone, I can hear keytones as calls are placed, all OBi test calls are normal, and callers can hear me -- but I cannot hear anything once a call connects: not a live person, not an outgoing answering system, not a commercial service (eg, Time). Verified it's not my hardware, poked around the Forums and have seen recurrent but intermittent reports of this issue, no solution. Very frustrating!

soundview

Found out my firmware was out of date and it was unable to update by dialing ***6. I removed my obi device from the web portal and did a factory reset. After adding as a new device, I was updated to the latest firmware (3.2.2.5859) and my outgoing call audio has been restored.

PWTm105

What do you mean by "adding as a new device"?

Is there another way to access the latest firmware?

Thanks!

cubicpie

I had deleted the device from the OBi portal; was on firmware 3.2.1. Added it again (and re-set up GV) and a couple reboots later I have 3.2.2 and calls seem to work again.

not_obi_happy

I hope that new FW indeed fixes the issue, so it won't come back again.
I am on a newer build 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) although mine is OBI212 model. The audio issue you reported is still with me. Most of times.

I am just wondering why ***6 did not work and there is no Obi tech response to that issue.
I am also wondering, if the new FW version is indeed a fix for the audio issue on OBI200 why Obi tech reps are not helping explaining that there is a fix available.

Niniss

I'm having the same problem but reset or removing and readding my obi200 did not solve the issue.

GPz1100

For those with the one way audio issues, post what you see when:

1) log into your google voice account at  - https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice
2) click on the gear top right corner, settings
3) under forward calls to, do you see Google chat, or Obitalk Device?

Also note which firmware build you're using (including the 4 digit # at the end).

cubicpie

Hey GPz, I seem to be back to having the problem. Now it's two separate issues:

1) On outgoing calls, no audio comes back to the OBi. Audio is sent properly.

2) Incoming calls are not received (!!).

In GV forwarding, I see both Google chat AND OBiTALK Device. Incoming calls do ring in Google chat (i.e. Hangouts), but they don't ring the phone. I can pick up the phone while a call is coming in and I only hear the dial tone.

Firmware is 3.2.2 build 5897EX.

GPz1100

^^This is different from the issue in this topic.

Are either/both checked?

You really shouldn't have both google chat & obitalk device in the forwarding list.  Usually when the account is migrated to gv sip, google chat option goes away. In a way that's a good thing if you have a need for google chat.

If you absolutely have no need for it, you can try deleting google chat, reboot the obi and try again.  If still no go, delete the obitalk device too from gv forwarding, reboot the obi and try again.  

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 06, 2018, 10:29:15 AM
^^This is different from the issue in this topic.

Are either/both checked?

You really shouldn't have both google chat & obitalk device in the forwarding list.  Usually when the account is migrated to gv sip, google chat option goes away. In a way that's a good thing if you have a need for google chat.

If you absolutely have no need for it, you can try deleting google chat, reboot the obi and try again.  If still no go, delete the obitalk device too from gv forwarding, reboot the obi and try again.  

Right.  This shouldn't be happening.  It is some sort of unfortunate side-effect of Google placing the XMPP shutdown on temporary hold.  Eventually, every Google Voice configuration will be automatically cleaned up when the conversion is complete, but that doesn't help people who are in limbo now.  I don't have a date to share at this time.

cubicpie

Well, I fully reset the device and re-added GV to it via the provisioning portal. All works now. Eventually.

You really shouldn't have both google chat & obitalk device in the forwarding list.  Usually when the account is migrated to gv sip, google chat option goes away.

Is it expected that I should only have one or the other working? I do want incoming calls to ring both the OBi and Hangouts (mobile/computer). I'll be sad if this option goes away in the future.

SteveInWA

Quote from: cubicpie on July 07, 2018, 03:00:32 PM
Well, I fully reset the device and re-added GV to it via the provisioning portal. All works now. Eventually.

You really shouldn't have both google chat & obitalk device in the forwarding list.  Usually when the account is migrated to gv sip, google chat option goes away.

Is it expected that I should only have one or the other working? I do want incoming calls to ring both the OBi and Hangouts (mobile/computer). I'll be sad if this option goes away in the future.

"Google Chat" was the XMPP client.  It's obsolete and it is being shut down.  You do not need it at all.  The new Google Voice platform supports all VoIP calling:  via the new WiFi/4G VoIP calling feature built into the desktop web UI and the Android app (with iOS support coming soon), via Hangouts, and/or via OBiTALK devices.

VoIP calling in the Google Voice desktop web UI and in the Android app are currently in beta test.  Once the iOS client is added and the beta ends, there will be no need to use Hangouts for calling any more.

mikeynags

I have the same problem.  Inbound calls have no issues.  Outbound calls, I can not hear the person on the other end but they hear me fine.

Obi200 running version 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX).

Under Google Voice settings, under "Forwards calls to:" I see Google Chat not Obitalk and it is checked.

Any hints on what I can try to remediate this?

thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: mikeynags on July 12, 2018, 04:02:54 PM
I have the same problem.  Inbound calls have no issues.  Outbound calls, I can not hear the person on the other end but they hear me fine.

Obi200 running version 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX).

Under Google Voice settings, under "Forwards calls to:" I see Google Chat not Obitalk and it is checked.

Any hints on what I can try to remediate this?

thanks

So, that means you're somehow in limbo, as far as completing the conversion to the new Google Voice platform.  Chat should be gone, and it should be replaced by a "SIP:xxxxxxxx" entry.

I suggest that you delete your OBiTALK product off of the OBiTALK dashboard, wait a few minutes, then power off the device.  Unplug the Ethernet cable.  Plug back in the power cable and wait for it to boot up.  Pick up the phone.  You should hear a dial tone.  Press ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults, and wait plenty of time for it to do so and then reboot.  Unplug power one more time, re-connect the Ethernet cable and then the power cable.

After it reboots, go through the **5 procedure again, and set up Google Voice on the device again.

Did that fix it?

mikeynags

Did all that - everything is all re-registered. I see the OBiTALK Device listed in Google voice settings.

Now when making an outbound call I get the balance is too low.

Dis I miss a step?  Thanks so much for getting me this far!

--mn

mikeynags

Never-mind - I figured it out and it's working fine now.  No audio issues at all.  Major thanks to SteveInWA!