News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Failure

Started by A_Friend, June 29, 2018, 11:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

Google Voice has stopped working for outgoing calls for me.  Incoming still seems to work.  Apparently, outgoing calls ring the destination phone, but there's no audio in either direction.  (Or a fractional second of audio before it clips off.)

This was going on intermittently at first.  Some calls went through, others didn't.  On Thursday, I was making a lot of calls, maybe 15 or 20 altogether, and thought it was maybe because that was considered overusing the service.  Friday, I only needed a handful of calls, but zero went through.  I have two devices, a 200 and a 202, with different GV accounts on each.  I usually only use the 202, but the 200 is showing the same exact symptoms, and that only gets used very rarely.

I haven't changed any settings in either GV account or either Obihai recently.  Any idea what might be happening?

RFC3261

Quote from: A_Friend on June 29, 2018, 11:08:23 PM
Any idea what might be happening?
You did not mention details like your ISP, your location, what ITSP your targets are using, etc.

However, Friday there were two major fibre cuts to twp different providers in geographically diverse locations (one in NC, one in NYC) in the US which impacted Internet traffic for a number of providers over an extended period.  Some of the repair work was known to be continuing overnight (repairing fire damaged fibre in vaults in NYC can take some time). 

A_Friend

What I can tell you is that calls to the same numbers are completing normally via my two other VoIP providers, voip.ms and callcentric.com.  As everything goes through the same ISP (Spectrum/Time-Warner), that can't be the problem, can it?  Or can it?  Is there something an ISP can block that would affect GV but not SIP?

This is baffling.  Especially the part where I can get incoming calls.

Can you think of any settings I need to check, at any level?  Have there been any firmware upgrades recently?  Or anything else that needs to be refreshed?

Thanks.

A_Friend

I'd like to attach screen shots of the Call Status output of making calls to the same number, Okay via voip.ms, and Fail via GV, but I'm unable to attach them without the post failing.  They're only 78kb each.

I'm no expert at this, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at.  Tracing the GV Peer IP address shows it is in the Netherlands.  Could that be the problem?  I'm in New York City, placing a call to New York City.  I've tried the call more than once, and I'm seeing that same IP.  Other than that, I don't know how to interpret any of this.  I'm out of my depth.

A_Friend

Anyone know why I'm unable to post a .jpg screenshot here?  It's only 135 kB.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on July 01, 2018, 10:59:55 AM
Anyone know why I'm unable to post a .jpg screenshot here?  It's only 135 kB.
It isn't your fault.  The forum software is borked again.

2: error_log(/var/log/forum/errors.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
File: /var/www/forum/Sources/Post.php
Line: 1530

A_Friend

Meanwhile, is anyone else seeing this problem?  I heard from another user, in upstate New York, seeing the same symptoms.  I took my Obihai 200 to another subscriber's cable modem to at least eliminate any problems particular to my modem and router.  Same problem, so at least that narrows it down to either the service or a protocol change that requires some sort of update to the device.

Test calls this morning still include this IP on Call Status:

Peer RTP Address      74.125.39.26:19305(relay)

Which still resolves to a physical address in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.  I don't know where it resolved for me when it worked, but it's been like this since I've been unable to get audio over a GV call.

Can anyone who can make calls via GV please post your Peer RTP address?  Bring up the web management screen for your device, and under "Status" click on "Call Status" during the call.

Thanks.

RFC3261

Quote from: A_Friend on July 02, 2018, 06:52:43 AM
Peer RTP Address      74.125.39.26:19305(relay)
That port suggests you are still using the (deprecated) XMPP connection (and not the current SIP based connection).  Those still trying to use XMPP are reporting various failures.

The (automated) XMPP to SIP based conversion appears to fail for some people some of the time.  You should follow the directions as post at: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

(summary: delete device from portal, do a factory reset on the device, add the device back to the portal, add your GV account, add in any additional SP's for (for example) 911 service).

A_Friend

It's not just other SIP accounts.  I have custom voice prompts, routing tables, etc., and a bunch of speed dials.

If I back everything up, reset the device, put it back on obitalk portal, reinstall google voice, then what?

If I do a restore, won't it break the GV setup again?

Right now, the device is not registered with obitalk and the obitalk account is deactivated on the device.  Is there any chance that if I do register it, turn back on obitalk on the device, that it will just update the GV protocol without having to juggle all the other parameters?

Thanks in advance.

nmstough

I am also getting the same failures on my Google Voice service.  Cannot make calls, etc.  I went to call status and this is what shows on peer
74.125.39.41:19305
Help!

RFC3261

nmstough

If you mean I should follow all these procedures, no I dont think I can do that.  I have many customizations of the configurations and I dont want to lose all those.  Not to mention that I dont have all the Google accounts information for all the Google voice accounts that are connected to the Obi device. 

audioresearch

I was using an obi110 for years with no problems except that a few months ago I had to use Simon Telephonics to keep it working.

A few weeks ago it again stopped working (no incoming or outgoing calls) and so I ordered an Obi200 last Monday which was delivered last Tuesday (2 days ago at the time I am posting this).

I installed the Obi200 following all the instructions and it worked for a short period of time. Then I noticed that if as a test I called my cell phone from my analog phone that was connected to the Obi, the cell phone could hear the analog phone but not vice versa.

Then, I tried re-installing using the instructions found here (doing obi revert to factory defaults while obi box disconnected from internet, deleting all obi devices using obitalk, and I even deleted access rights for obitalk to access my gv account and I disabled the Simon Telephonics gateway. Then I re-connected obi box to internet, used obitalk to add obi200 back as a device. At the end of that procedure in the Obitalk window, I saw that sp1 was being configured to gv and saw a spinning circle indicating it was working away and then finally that changed to "connected" status.

Now, the problems got really bad. Can't make any outgoing calls nor receive any incoming calls using analog phone connected to obi. Incoming calls ring a bunch of times then go to gv voicemail. When I dial outgoing calls, I hear a voice saying call can't be placed.

I've tried re-installing using the above procedure at least a dozen times yesterday and today and there is no change.

I have noticed that when I check my gv account and look at what it forwards to, there are no obi devices listed.

Do you think this problem is being seen by many others or do you think it is probably unique to me? Do you think I should just return my Obi200 within the 30 days full refund return window I have and wait a while and buy it again hoping that there is some problem withing gv and/or polycom that will be resolved by then? If you have any suggestions, please make them, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Engineering

I am seeing the same thing with my new OBi200, at least I believe I do. The symptoms:

- Calling some numbers (in particular other GV numbers) works fine, it rings, voice mail picks up, I can leave a message, great.
- Calling most other numbers (toll-free or landline), it rings, then the other side picks up and sometimes I hear maybe half a second of it before the line goes silent. The call doesn't disconnect, I just can't hear anything on the other side, only static.

Went through the complete cycle of factory reset, re-registering the device with obitalk etc. again, no difference. I didn't do any modifications through the local web interface.

A_Friend

I had managed to get Google Voice working again.  It seemed straightforward.

BUT THEN...

I was trying to see if I could, I dunno, save my setup and restore it and either keep or get Google Talk working again. 

I'm experimenting on my Obi200, which is an auxiliary/play setup in my home system, prior to dealing with the "real" hub of the system, which is an Obi202.

Now, I'm back to square zero, or maybe minus ten.  Obitalk isn't reinstalling Google Voice in any usable configuration.  I'm getting the exact same symptoms as Engineering says he is.  I've done factory resets, even used the semi-hidden magic reset switch in the bottom of the Obi200.

The Google Voice setup isn't working anymore.  Firmware level is:  3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX)
I mean, it goes through the motions and SAYS it works.  Afterwards...
Obitalk says:  Connected.
In-call Call Status is now saying this again, which I believe is the same thing it said when XMPP was failing:
Peer RTP Address:        74.125.39.26:19305(relay)

Which might explain why I'm getting the exact same symptoms as my old, obsolete XMPP setup was getting, which is what Engineering is seeing, too.

What gives???