News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

question for Simonics re:upgrade to Obi200

Started by mo832, July 02, 2018, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

@Bill Simon,

Recently migrated parent's Obi100 (using GVGW) to a new Obi200. After registering the device to use the GV account, it seems like (not sure how to tell) the account is still going thru GVGW. Based on what appears to be a CNAM display and a notable lag.

I went to the GVGW page and it still shows logged in. So my questions:

1. How do you remove the GVGW feature from the new device (if this is the case)
2. Is the GVGW connection DEVICE specific or ACCOUNT specific? I.E. does it take the calls thru GVGW on the same GV number, even if coming from a different device?
3. What is the difference on the GVGW page between "go offline" vs "de-authorize". If I want to stop using GVGW for the 200, which one is better, or will they both work?

lrosenman

Google Voice is now sending "CNAM" data from your google contacts.

You can go to Simonics and DISABLE your account, and then go to google voice legacy and delete the OBI entry with GV1xxxxxxxxxx

billsimon

Quote from: mo832 on July 02, 2018, 08:52:34 AM
3. What is the difference on the GVGW page between "go offline" vs "de-authorize". If I want to stop using GVGW for the 200, which one is better, or will they both work?

GVGW connects to your Google account & is not device-specific. If you are done with GVGW, use the Deauthorize link and it will remove the configuration from GVGW and revoke authorization from Google.

mo832

If I "go offline", will that allow GV to go directly to the Obi or will that disable calling altogether?

If I deauthorize, does the GVGW account remain in place in case I want to use it again? (I know this may be a non-issue soon, but you never know)

Finally, how can I tell if the current calls are going via XMPP or GvSIP, and if it is using the gateway or not?

mo832

Quote from: mo832 on July 02, 2018, 09:47:50 AM
If I "go offline", will that allow GV to go directly to the Obi or will that disable calling altogether?

If I deauthorize, does the GVGW account remain in place in case I want to use it again? (I know this may be a non-issue soon, but you never know)

Finally, how can I tell if the current calls are going via XMPP or GvSIP, and if it is using the gateway or not?

Just wanted to bump the thread- still need the info in order to complete the setup with all settings so it will behave as intended.

billsimon

I don't understand what you are confused about. If you got an Obi200, configure it in your Obitalk portal for Google Voice and don't configure GVGW.

The settings on the GVGW dashboard only affect GVGW. Which is essentially defunct as Google lets the XMPP side of things die off.

To be fully done with GVGW, besides not configuring it on your device, log in to the dashboard at https://simonics.com/gw . If it shows "Online" then click the button to go Offline. Then use the Deauthorize link to revoke authorization from Google. You don't really need to do any of this, but you can do it to be sure GVGW is no longer connected to the account.

mo832

I am confused since there is relationship between the GV account/phone number, the Obi device, and the GVGW under the same phone number. You said GVGW goes by the account, not the device. So by registering a new Obi200 on the old GV number, won't that still have a connection to GVGW?

Is there a way to know if a particular call is being routed through GVGW or just native GV?

Is there a way to know if a particular call is using XMPP or the new SIP?

If I revoke GVGW authorization, do you retain my registration in case I return?

**note- still operating another  100 device under old config for the time being, so these questions relate to both

Thanks

billsimon

GVGW is configured with your Google account. But if there is no device connected to GVGW, then it doesn't do anything.

Everything depends on how your Obi is configured. If your Obi is configured for GVGW and GVGW is connected to your Google account, then your calls will come through that way.

If your Obi is configured directly for Google Voice and NOT for GVGW, then obviously the calls aren't coming to you through GVGW.

If you revoke GVGW authorization you could come back later and restart your account (it remains set at "paid" status) but I don't have any reason to believe that GVGW will remain viable much longer.

dircom

"...
If I revoke GVGW authorization, do you retain my registration in case I return?"

EDIT --As I understand it GVGW will be ending soon, after that there is no returning, GVGW is no more
Thanks for the service, and thanks for trying to make it work with Google Sip--

drgeoff

Quote from: dircom on July 04, 2018, 11:25:10 AM
"...
If I revoke GVGW authorization, do you retain my registration in case I return?"

As I understand it, there is no returning, GVGW is over, hasta la vista baby, adios
You can return to GVGW until Simonics closes it.  That has not happened yet but it could any day now.  It is up to Bill Simon to decide whether to do it before or after GV finally withdraws XMPP.  No XMPP will make connecting to GVGW pointless.

mo832

Well... I had thought I was starting to understand this, but then I got to have another look at the parents legacy settings page, and I see multiple entries which cause concern.

There were entries for Google Chat, obitalk device GV1cccnnnnnnn, and obitalk device 510xxxxxx (which is the obi number).

All 3 were checked. I unchecked the GV1ccc..... entry (just bc it seemed the right thing to do), and left the other 2 checked.

So....

1. Does this mean the GV account is still on XMPP ?
2. with both obitalk SIP entries present and checked, is GV competing with GVGW?
3. If I check "go offline" on simonics.com, will that remove the association with GVGW on GV settings?
4. Which boxes should be checked on the GV settings to get proper operation, assuming I want only GV and Obi in the mix and don't want to use GVGW in any way for clean testing?

Marc

Quote from: mo832 on July 08, 2018, 11:30:40 AM

3. If I check "go offline" on simonics.com, will that remove the association with GVGW on GV settings?
4. Which boxes should be checked on the GV settings to get proper operation, assuming I want only GV and Obi in the mix and don't want to use GVGW in any way for clean testing?

3. It removes the authorization between GVGW and Google. Simply delete the entry in GV.
4. Just the Obitalk device.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

mo832

"4. Just the Obitalk device."
-------

So out of entries for

Google chat,
Obitalk device GV1aaannnnnnn,
Obitalk device 512 345 678

ALL should be left unchecked except the last one, and the Obitalk GV entry should be deleted?

What to do with Google chat, just leave it alone until it goes away?