News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Can You Keep GV Working Without Obitalk??

Started by A_Friend, July 02, 2018, 09:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

I'm used to locally managing my devices, which I set up over 2 years ago.  You used to be able to activate Google Voice on the Obitalk portal, then disconnect and set up everything else.

Is it still possible?

I had to reconnect to the portal to upgrade my GV connections from XMPP to SIP, but it blew everything else away.  Worse, when I tried to disconnect from the portal and go back to local management, GV doesn't work anymore.

So, is there a solution/work-around, or is it now impossible to manage locally without depending on the obitalk website?

Thanks.

drgeoff

It is still possible after configuring "SIP GV" using the portal to disable Obitalk provisioning and  perform further configuration using the local interface.

RFC3261

Quote from: A_Friend on July 02, 2018, 09:34:07 AM
Is it still possible?
As drgeoff says, yes.  But given that the entire GV SIP conversion seems to be somewhat of a WIP (and there are rumors of fixes that may (or may not?) end up needing yet another firmware update), you may be better off using the Obitalk "expert" mode to configure your device if at all possible, because if you are using the portal those upgrades will not (should not) end up blowing away your configurations all over again.  You make your choices and take your chances.

azrobert

You can take a config backup and then import the backup with OBi Expert if you need to switch back to the portal. This doesn't always work correctly, so I keep a copy of my digit maps and routes in a text file.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on July 02, 2018, 09:37:17 AM
It is still possible after configuring "SIP GV" using the portal to disable Obitalk provisioning and  perform further configuration using the local interface.

Do you now have to leave the device registered with the Obitalk website for Google Voice to keep working?  In one iteration, I even powered down the unit before deleting it from the website, and GV still died after I brought it up again and initiated a call.  I don't like the idea of adding single points of failure, and to my mind, that's what the Obitalk website has the potential to be if it always needs to be in the loop.

Or am I doing it wrong?

RFC3261

Quote from: A_Friend on July 02, 2018, 10:53:27 AM
Or am I doing it wrong?
If I understand what you said, you are doing it wrong.  If the device is connected to the portal, deleting it from the portal forces a reset of the device when the device can next contact the portal (it checks its config, is told it was removed, and resets).  Somewhere (else) there are instructions to attempt to remove one's self from portal without losing existing configs once one has managed to get GV operating.  I am not sure how well they currently work with the new SIP based processes.