News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Obi200 after Obi100

Started by mo832, July 02, 2018, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I just upgraded a GV account from an Obi100 to a newly purchased Obi200. I have some questions about the setup and some differences on the new device.

1. How do I get the latest update (GV SIP compatible firmware), or was it already downloaded when the device was first added to the Obitalk portal with the existing GV account?

2. Immediately after setup of the GV number the dashboard said "registration not required" next to SP1, then later showed "connected". What does that mean?

3. On the 100, the middle LED was mostly off, and would blink when data was being transferred. On the 200, the middle LED is constantly on when the device is not in use. Is this normal, and has this been reversed by design on the 200?

4. The Obi100 does not show up on the dashboard for my Obitalk account, and I assume this is because the Obi100 was unplugged from the router to plug in the 200. If I simply don't plug in the 100, does it ever have to be deleted from the account? If I do plug it in, (and do not touch the previously stored settings inside) will it conflict with the GV registration on the same number now assigned to the Obi200?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.  :)

RFC3261

Quote from: mo832 on July 02, 2018, 09:34:33 AM
1. How do I get the latest update (GV SIP compatible firmware), or was it already downloaded when the device was first added to the Obitalk portal with the existing GV account?
Should have been automatically upgraded (it is part of the conversion from XMPP to SIP).
2. Immediately after setup of the GV number the dashboard said "registration not required" next to SP1, then later showed "connected". What does that mean?
It (likely) means it is working.  There are some intermediate steps for connecting, and for whatever reason one of the messages is "registration not required", even though it likely should say something like "connection in progress".
3. On the 100, the middle LED was mostly off, and would blink when data was being transferred. On the 200, the middle LED is constantly on when the device is not in use. Is this normal, and has this been reversed by design on the 200?
Pretty sure this was a change due to customer confusion of no LED.  You can't keep everyone happy.
4. The Obi100 does not show up on the dashboard for my Obitalk account, and I assume this is because the Obi100 was unplugged from the router to plug in the 200. If I simply don't plug in the 100, does it ever have to be deleted from the account? If I do plug it in, (and do not touch the previously stored settings inside) will it conflict with the GV registration on the same number now assigned to the Obi200?
Typically, even if a device is offline, it shows up on the portal if you are using the same account.  Not sure how/why it disappeared.
Personally, just to play safe, since it is not on your portal, I would perform a factory reset on the device (which can be done without it even having a network connection from the phone using the sequence on your phone of ***8 1, or using a pin factory reset power on), to insure it will not try to connect to GV over XMPP if you just plug it in at some point in the future (and while it should just fail (your GV is now SIP based), the repeated attempts *could* cause issues, and issues are something most of us to not want to deal with).  The OBi1xx was a great device.  And it still has value when connecting to some other ITSPs, and even using it as an way to connect to various intermediaries that might support GV.  But its days of direct GV support are well behind us.

mo832

RFC3261- thank you so much!

Follow up to #1 above, I should clarify that the 200 has been in the box and never activated or used before the SIP GV conversion, so I assume it had old inventory firmware (XMPP) out of the box. So the first-ever use was after GV went thru a major change and it needed to get up to speed from the first day it was turned on. Does it still try to upgrade upon the initial setup routine before it is even fully connected? Or is there a chance that it started out using XMPP and will later be refreshed?

lrosenman

The portal should FORCE the upgrade.

RFC3261

Quote from: mo832 on July 02, 2018, 10:47:30 AM
Does it still try to upgrade upon the initial setup routine before it is even fully connected?
As lrosenman said, it should have forced the upgrade as part of the initial provisioning.  There are reported cases where the automatic upgrade of firmware, and the GV conversion from XMPP to SIP fails, but it seems for many of the people it just conversts with no additional interaction.

You should be able to go to your GV account and see if the settings for incoming calls (forward calls in the legacy GV settings) include an OBI device.  If so, you got converted.