News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Obi200 to house telco wiring

Started by Scope, July 02, 2018, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scope

I have 5 or 6 jacks throughout the house all connecting back to a single telco land line. Problem is there are two pieces of hardware I am trying to figure out which has all the house jacks connected to so I could connect obi telco line to as well and get dial tone throughout the home.

Attached are two photos. One is old abandoned security system. It is unplugged but still looks like bunch of telco lines are running into it. It was hooked up to our landline when we used it.

Other is just more telco wiring to some sorta punch down. Not sure if this is where I want to get the Obi telco wiring to. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam J

Scope

System not letting me upload any jpegs. they total 96kbs in size

When I try to post attachment jpegs -> I get
: error_log(/var/log/forum/errors.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
File: /var/www/forum/Sources/Post.php
Line: 1530

drgeoff

Quote from: Scope on July 02, 2018, 12:33:07 PM
System not letting me upload any jpegs. they total 96kbs in size

When I try to post attachment jpegs -> I get
: error_log(/var/log/forum/errors.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
File: /var/www/forum/Sources/Post.php
Line: 1530
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14242.msg91183#msg91183

mo832

I have had an Obi connected to house wiring for several years. It has been my experience that as long as all the jacks are part of the same line, you can feed the telephone jack from the obi into any wall jack and it should make all other jacks in the home connect to the obi phone service.

What I did was to make sure the phone co. service was "dark", and just to be on the safe side, I used several modular splitters to isolate "line1" and "line2", and I feed the obi into line2 and plug all the phones into line2 for each wall jack so that there is even less chance of the telco activating that line.

Also (this may not apply to you), I found the main entry point in the house where the inside wiring interfaces with the outside connection to the phone co., and I unplugged it, so now I have a loop running inside the house with a complete air gap, off the grid from the telco wires. It's basically like a long phone extension cord running behind the walls to each jack. It would be the same thing as if you got a 50-foot phone cord and plugged that into the Obi and plugged the phone device into the other end 3 rooms away. Only now that cord is hidden behind the sheetrock.

Hope this helps.

Scope

Thanks. I actually went outside and disconnected the line going into the house. Then hard the Telco provider remove the box completely. So I am offline from Telco.

I did just that. Plugged in Obi to jack downstairs and it shows as line in use on Obi -> but no dial tone anywhere. If I then plug directly into handset all good.

I have two photos I wanted to included to see if 1) I should connect a phone line from obi to same central punch down as all other house lines.

Scope

I left out an important aspect of this. I don't have any ethernet wiring upstairs in the house near a phone jack where I could plug the obi into both internet and phone line. That's why I am trying to connect it downstairs where it appears all the other house telco lines have centralized. And where the ethernet switching is located

mo832

Quote from: Scope on July 02, 2018, 02:02:09 PM
Thanks. I actually went outside and disconnected the line going into the house. Then hard the Telco provider remove the box completely. So I am offline from Telco.

I did just that. Plugged in Obi to jack downstairs and it shows as line in use on Obi -> but no dial tone anywhere. If I then plug directly into handset all good.

I have two photos I wanted to included to see if 1) I should connect a phone line from obi to same central punch down as all other house lines.

It sounds like those jacks are not actually connected to each other. If they were, you should hear a dial tone. When the telco was connected, you could have picked up any handset and heard another handset that was off-hook.

I'm thinking there may be something that is still plugged in to that wiring that could be interfering, but still you should be able to hear *something* if those two jacks are in fact connected to each other. Could one of them be on a different pair?

drgeoff

Quote from: Scope on July 02, 2018, 02:02:09 PMPlugged in Obi to jack downstairs and it shows as line in use on Obi -> but no dial tone anywhere.
Unplug all the phones.  Connect the PHONE jack of the OBi to a wall jack.  If the OBi shows the line is in use, the house wiring is faulty. 

Scope

When I had normal landline service (up to last week) everything worked fine. All handsets connected to jacks work as they should on a single line multi jack house.

Why would it now be faulty?

If so whats the best way to test each line. I can plug in a toner to a jack upstairs and try to trace it down stairs. If I find all the jack lines running back to the basement they are centralized on either this small punch down or the old security panel. MY phone lines look like they run to both. I have included two links to the devices that terminate the telco wiring in the house.

Thanks for the help.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kx2Srdf-GzZ-8YPvN7EeVmgNZNa-2iE5
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13bfEgoVkz64A2koPZwdBCYf_9pu_r3CN