News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting land line and continue Google Voice forwarding?

Started by DanGV, July 03, 2018, 07:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanGV

Currently, I have a GV number that forwards to my Verizon land line, work, and cell. Everything works well and I do not want to give up my land line number but wish to reduce costs. I have purchases an OBi200. I am thinking of this set up:
1. Set up the OBi200 via their portal
2. Sign up for Callcentric North America Basic plan (with E911)
3. Port my land line number to Callcentric
4. Configure voice mail

Questions
Will my existing Google Voice forwarding to my (now ported) land line number still work? Or is it better to go through the Obitalk interface to set up my SP1 as my land line and my SP2 as my GV number?

I still want voice mail for my (to be ported) land line number. Currently, 95% of the time when GV is forwarded to my land line, GV voice mail will kick in before the land line phone VM does. But not always. Callcentric has a VM feature so I'm thinking of using this and disabling my home voice mail. Assuming I keep forwarding my GV to my (to be ported) land line number with Callcentric how do I configure it so that GV VM answers first?

This is my first time configuring VoIP so if there is a better way to continue using my land line number and GV at home please enlighten me. Also, are there any quirks I should be aware of?

SteveInWA

Hi Dan:

Yes, you can port your land line number to Callcentric, if Callcentric can host the number.  Google Voice doesn't care if you do that; it is simply calling a telephone number.

There are two opposite directions to call forwarding when using Google Voice.  When someone calls your inbound Google Voice phone number, Google Voice will simultaneously forward their call to all of your enabled, linked/forwarding phone numbers, and it will ring those numbers for approximately 25 seconds.  If one of the forwarding numbers answers the call within that interval, it "wins the race" and takes the call, either because you answered it, or that number's own voicemail grabbed the call.  If no answer in that interval, then GV takes the call back to its own VM.  GV is designed to be used with linked phone numbers that support a telephone network feature known as conditional call forwarding, or no-answer/busy transfer.  You typically program your linked number to enable CCF to your GV number.  This will send those calls back to GV VM. 

Callcentric doesn't support CCF, so you'd need to set its ring interval to be at least 25 or 30 seconds.