News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No ip address after installation

Started by TK_forum, August 29, 2011, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK_forum

Hi,
I am new to this and looking for help from anyone who has experienced this.
I setup my obi110 few days ago and it work for a day or two. But I have to redo the whole setup twice already. I am not sure if the other devices in my house - Netflix, laptop, iPod touch could have taken the ip address used for the obi110, but when it happened, I cannot get ip address when I dial the ***, 1

Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks,
TK

oldtimercurt

What do you get when you dial ***1?

OTC

TK_forum

When it's bad, it would say ip address not available. I struggled on this the whole day yesterday, and this morning I set it up again and it work. I did noticed the ip address previously used (when it's working) is different from the current ip address. I was thinking could a fixed ip address solve this? And turn off DCHP.

RonR

Quote from: TK_forum on August 29, 2011, 10:12:09 AM
I setup my obi110 few days ago and it work for a day or two. But I have to redo the whole setup twice already.

Are you saying the OBi lost its entire configuration (reverted back to factory defaults?) twice?

LeftRight

You can either use a static IP address or reserve the IP address on the router, and see if it gets better.

When OBi couldn't get/renew a IP address, how were your other devices? did they get IP address OK? would it help if you power cycle both your router and OBi (not factory reset the device)?

TK_forum

Hi RonR,
No it did not reverted to factory setting, but since I did not change the setting, it was and still in factory setting. Only problem is the unit cannot find an ip address and I could not make calls. It would say "service unavailable".

Hi LeftRight,
I am thinking about using static ip but nor familiar with the setup. How do U reserve an ip on router? I am using Linksys WRT54G. Other devices have no problem. I had 2 laptop and iPod Touch connected wirelessly. And Nextflix (connected directly to the router). I have tried power cycle both Obi and router - did not help. I am guessing it work this morning after I switched off my laptops and iPod Touch (suspicion)

Thanks guys!

RonR

Quote from: TK_forum on August 29, 2011, 01:14:13 PM
How do U reserve an ip on router? I am using Linksys WRT54G.

The feature is usually called 'Static DHCP'.  It's still DHCP, but you can specify a specific IP address that should be assigned to a particular MAC address.  If the router is functioning properly, normal DHCP should not be a problem.

Is your WRT54G compatible with Tomato firmware (WRT54G v1 - v4 or WRT54GL)?  if so you might consider upgrading the firmware.  I've used the OBi with a WRT54G + Tomato firmware with no problems whatsover.

Tomato Firmware Link

TK_forum

Thanks RonR, I will need to check on the router and f/w version. The Obi currently has an ip address. Do you think it is wise for me to use the *** 4 to set the ip to current address and disable DHCP?

RonR

If you use a static IP address on the OBi, you must select an IP address outside the DHCP range that the router issues IP addresses from.  The router won't automatically sense that the OBi is using a particular static IP address and avoid giving it to another device.

There really shouldn't be a problem using DHCP.  I'm sure 99.99% of the OBi's in use are configured for DHCP.

TK_forum

Thanks RonR.
My suspicion of another device took the ip address was wrong. I came home to see the problem happened again (without anyone using any other devices in the house). But I did use the *** 4 to change it back to the last known working ip address and it worked. I will wait and see how long this will last.

LeftRight

This seems to be some DHCP problem that your OBi cannot renew its IP address from the router. I would suggest reserving IP address for your OBi instead of manually changing it.

I am using a D-LINK 655 router, the way I reserve IP address for my OBi is pretty simple

- Go to setup -> networking setup
- Find my OBi device from LAN status
- Click "Reserve IP address", then save
- Reboot the router

If you can try a different router, or upgrade the firmware for the WRT54G, also worth a try.