News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Did Anything Change For Google Voice In June?

Started by ceg3, July 03, 2018, 07:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

I'm on an OBi200 and other than GVGW going away did anything actually happen?

RFC3261

Quote from: ceg3 on July 03, 2018, 07:14:40 PM
I'm on an OBi200 and other than GVGW going away did anything actually happen?
The GV XMPP support (the legacy GV connectivity option that GVGW, among others, depend on) has started to experience various anomalies (which may, or may not, represent various internal service disablements (slowly) rolling across the GV infrastructure).  So while one can quibble about the precise dates, there are certainly indications that XMPP is really going away as warned/threatened/promised starting with the middle of June dates as posted elsewhere.

A_Friend

The short answer is YES!  You can get Google Voice working again, but you pretty much need to start over.

For those of us who set our devices up way back when, using the ObiTalk portal and then deleted our devices from the portal, it looks like we blocked a necessary upgrade/reregistration deal.  Any Obihai devices set up with Google Voice back then used the XMPP protocol, which is apparently now officially dead, in favor of a new SIP setup.

Which means, at least as far as I can figure out, you have to start over.  From scratch.  Bye-bye all settings.  Plan ahead.  You will need to copy all your settings into a text file BEFORE you add the device to the portal, so you can copy and paste them back in, field by field.  I don't think you can use a backup file, as that would most likely break your fixed Google Voice account.  Haven't tested that, so just guessing.

Add your device to the ObiTalk portal and it will wipe out everything.  (I haven't figured out how to stop it from doing this.)  Then, add your Google Voice account(s) back.  At that point you can manually add back all your other settings, either by using the ObiTalk portal via the "Obi Expert Configuration" feature or using the local web portal feature of the device.  (You can't use both at once.  Obi Expert blocks the local one.)

DO NOT delete the device from the portal.  I did, a couple of times, and each time it dicked Google Voice and I had to start over again.  I haven't tested what happens if you turn off Auto Provisioning and ObiTalk on the device itself before doing this.  So, if you want to disconnect, try this early on, before you've added back any settings.

Let me know what happens.

ceg3

I deleted my SP2 a few days ago and de-registered at GVGW and went through the normal setup.  I don't use GV much, but I was able to make calls.  If there were problems from losing any settings I likely wouldn't know it yet.  My primary is PhonePower.

lrosenman

Quote from: ceg3 on July 04, 2018, 07:59:14 AM
I deleted my SP2 a few days ago and de-registered at GVGW and went through the normal setup.  I don't use GV much, but I was able to make calls.  If there were problems from losing any settings I likely wouldn't know it yet.  My primary is PhonePower.

I'd double check that you can RECEIVE calls.  I have my wife's account in this strange state where I can make calls from Obi, but not receive them.

mo832

"You will need to copy all your settings into a text file BEFORE you add the device to the portal, so you can copy and paste them back in, field by field.  I don't think you can use a backup file, as that would most likely break your fixed Google Voice account.  Haven't tested that, so just guessing. "

Is there a simple way of copying everything to a text file without having to go to each tab and writing everything down by hand or taking screen shots?

drgeoff

If you make a backup it is saved as an xml file.  That is reasonably readable and understandable (and able to be copy and pasted from) if opened with an xml viewer.  (Most web browsers can do it or even a decent text editor.)

ceg3

Quote from: lrosenman on July 04, 2018, 08:13:07 AM
Quote from: ceg3 on July 04, 2018, 07:59:14 AM

I'd double check that you can RECEIVE calls.  I have my wife's account in this strange state where I can make calls from Obi, but not receive them.

Just tested and I was able to receive an inbound call from my cell.  I'm going to let a sleeping dog lie for now. That's probably the only inbound call I'll get on my GV number for the next week or two. It's rare I even use it.  That's why I asked my original question.