News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Recent issues and help needed

Started by not_obi_happy, July 03, 2018, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not_obi_happy

Hi there,
I've been happily using GV with OBI110 for years now. After a protocol change from Google which made OBI110 incompatible I successfully switched to simonics gvgw service and all worked just fine (although with some intermittent disconnect and audio issues which were come and go on their own) for a year or so.

Recently in June of 2018 I started experiencing two issues with no change on my setup whatsoever:
1. No incoming to me audio after I call a phone number
2. No incoming call at all after I call my GV number form an another phone.

I did some searching and found a OBI110 firmware upgrade which supposed to eliminate a need for simonics protocol translation service from obifirmware.com

I installed it and stopped using simonics. It helped marginally as I still was getting my no incoming audio and no connection to my GV issues, although I got everything working intermittently, but only very few times.

I decided to upgrade to OBI212 and with high level of hopes configured it today to only see couple of new issues. My first issue was "registration not required" issue. At that time when I checked my Google GV account page in settings I noticed that additionally to Legacy Google Chat (checked on) I got a OBIHAI option. I was hopeful that this is very much anticipated "new Google OBIhai interface", however GV service did not work with IBI212 at all.

I then reset to factory settings on my OBI212, deleted my device on OBITALK and started from scratch. At this time I got everything right on OBITALK status with device showing "connected".

I was happy for a minute. A call to my GV number from my cell phone got through and worked fine. I was even happier. However, when I dial a number from my OBI-connected home phone to any other phone I do not have audio coming. - Same issue as before. I tried a few times and got it working once w/o changing anything. So it is intermittent, but mostly not working.

To be honest, I am frustrated... My intent is to return my OBI212 and forget about obihai/polycom altogether.

However, having a Holiday and an easy week ahead I might still try to troubleshoot if I got even a slight idea what I possibly can do.

Any advice (or even experience sharing) would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I did all the OBI config correctly. As well as my router settings etc.

not_obi_happy

This was my 1st post on the forum. I can't help but say that even this forum itself showing Polycom?Obihai lack of attention to details. When you post a new topic you get a "Couldn't get mail server response codes" message. You then try to post again to get same message again. In reality all your messages have been posted. This is why you see many dups on the forum, as folks are trying to post and unaware that everytime they got a Couldn't get mail server response codes reply the post actually has been already posted...
Why not fix it? Lack of forum admin attention IMO...

Why OBI intermittent issues with multiple behaviors? Either OBI developers do not exactly know/understand what they are doing or same - lack of attention to details...

Sorry venting out :)

Niniss

No replies?  I'm having the exactly same issue like yours.  I have obi200 and been working great without issue for a couple of years.  But the problem suddenly started a few weeks ago,  can't make outbound calls, with the exception of some local numbers.  Incoming calls, however are fine.  I didn't change anything other than changed a moderm and unconnected the power for a month due to traveling overseas.  I've tried trouble shoot myself and did the power off, factory reset,and delete and re-add, etc.but all with no help.  I did find the work around by calling my own gv number and then follow the prompt to dial the number i wanted to call.

not_obi_happy

OK, status update, as it might be useful for others (incl. Steve).

With NO action on my side I now have both Google chat and OBI device listed (lately the Obi device was not there, and before that it was, but it did not help) and checked on my Google voice setting page and everything started working. All incoming/outgoing calls work as expected.

Contrary to what Steve said on another thread the legacy Google chat may stay with no issue. As Steve said one day it might be gone, but for now it is there for me and it does not hurt anything.

Again, I had it both ways during these last days - with and without Obi device present (Google chat was always there), however before tonight it did not work either way.

The issue is gone for now and therefore my OBI212 stays for now.
We will see...

SteveInWA

Quote from: not_obi_happy on July 06, 2018, 11:23:41 PM
OK, status update, as it might be useful for others (incl. Steve).

With NO action on my side I now have both Google chat and OBI device listed (lately the Obi device was not there, and before that it was, but it did not help) and checked on my Google voice setting page and everything started working. All incoming/outgoing calls work as expected.

Contrary to what Steve said on another thread the legacy Google chat may stay with no issue. As Steve said one day it might be gone, but for now it is there for me and it does not hurt anything.

Again, I had it both ways during these last days - with and without Obi device present (Google chat was always there), however before tonight it did not work either way.

The issue is gone for now and therefore my OBI212 stays for now.
We will see...

Thanks for the update.

As far as I know, when your OBiTALK device attaches to the portal, it should be pushed the necessary firmware, and then, when it connects to the Google Voice service, the account should be upgraded to the new platform.  You should not see both the Google Chat and the SIP entries.  I'd like to pursue this with Google, so that, if they have a bug, they can get it fixed.

If you would please open a new discussion post over on the Google Voice help forum, while signed into the same Google account that holds your GV phone number, mention this discussion, and post a link to it here, I'll ask a GV software engineer to take a look at your configuration.

not_obi_happy

Ok, Steve. Thanks for chiming in.
Here goes my screen shot with some private data removed

I am not sure if I need or even want any action from Google, as everything works and I am afraid of their change. Historically it did not go that well.

In any case you can refer them to here.
Thx.

SteveInWA

I am one of the contributors on the Google Voice help forum who are given access to Google Voice staff to help escalate problems and diagnose root causes of issues.  We can't help you unless you post this information over on the Google Voice help forum.  This identifies and authenticates your ownership of your Google account and is required before Google will look at it, with your explicit permission.  This is a user privacy and security rule.

not_obi_happy

Steve,
Thank you. Understood.
It works for now and I do not think I need any help.
If it quits working I may revisit the option of posting on GV support forum per your suggestion.

On a side note, I did not do anything special, just followed published procedures to make OBI212 work.
As I posted I got few different results by doing exact same thing.

It very well might be GV bug causing intermittent issues, however it should be easy enough for Obihai test engineers to reproduce this issue, to report and work with GV on this (if indeed it is an issue, as for now everything works fine with both options present). They just need to configure/reconfigure OBI212 with a GV legacy account a few times. You know the game..