News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble with Speed dial + SP prefix + GV (SIP)

Started by mrcinaz, July 04, 2018, 09:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcinaz

Obi 202, managed via Obitalk, expert mode.

About 3 years ago set up the Obi with GV on SP1, Phonepower on SP2 with SP2 primary. Hadn't been touched since until recently

Because my wife's calls to distant relatives tend to be very loooong, we decided a few weeks ago to start using GV prefix on her outgoing phone calls to the distant relatives. Quickly discovered it wasn't working at all. After a spell on the forum, realized I needed to update the firmware to the latest from the ancient version. After doing that, I relinked the GV account.  After that, dialing with **1 prefix worked fine. (I also enabled auto firmware update to stay up to date.)

We then decided to add GV to my wife's Gmail account so she could use her own private number for her outgoing calls. It took all of about 15 minutes to Establish a new GV number for her and set it up in the dashboard on SP3. **3 prefix worked on first go calling her sister.

Next, we decided to configure speed dials for the numbers where calls tend to last an hour or so. So, I set up five of those, using syntax "**31dddddddddd". 

That also worked great.  Until this week.   Suddenly now, when my wife speed dials with those **3 prefixes, everything "seems" to work until the call connects. The number dials. Ringing heard in phone. Ringing stops when the sister answers. Only problem is, no sound reaches our end. Sister hangs up her phone after about 30 seconds of exasperation.  If it matters, sister's phone is POTS land line in a fairly urban area in Riverside County CA.

If my wife dials **3 followed by 1 followed by the 10 digit number, everything works perfectly well!

Has anybody else seen this?  The only thing I can see that changed in the past three weeks is the firmware. Is speed dialing with a prefix now broken?

Taoman

Quote from: mrcinaz on July 04, 2018, 09:27:15 AM

If my wife dials **3 followed by 1 followed by the 10 digit number, everything works perfectly well!

Strange. Never seen or heard of it. Instead of using ** try using this format for your speed dial entry and see if it makes any difference:

sp3(phone#)

mrcinaz

Thanks Taoman.  I will try that.  Also, can the number be entered with spaces and/or dashes for greater readability in the dashboard? 

I have been wondering if there might be a timing issue.  When manually dialed, there is obviously some delay (human scale time vs digital device scale) between punching the "#" key and entering the phone number.  Does the 202 automatically insert any necessary delay when the # is read, or is there some other way to control necessary delays?

BTW, neither party can hear the other when connected via speed dial.  My wife says she was also repeating "hello, hello" as well as her sister, and neither could hear the other. 

mrcinaz

I set up a couple of other speed dials to dial ANI test numbers (1-8xx) that repeat back the calling phone number.  Both number formats worked fine with that.   

Will have to wait to try with relative's numbers in 951 AC. The problem also occurred with other relatives in 613 AC (Eastern Ontario, Ottawa environs).   I don't know any test numbers in those ACs.  OTOH, the issue may have been a temporary Google issue.

(I also tried inserting dashes.  The dashboard accepts them, but then removes them when I hit save.  That answers that question.  LOL.  At least it is easier to read and verify when entering them.)

mrcinaz

The issue is worse than I described. Calling land lines is basically a one-way form of communication.  We talk, called party can hear us, but there is silence on our end when called party talks. This behaves exactly the same on three numbers in AC 613, and two numbers in AC 951. All five of them are land lines. That appears to be the common element. Therefore, my issue is the same as another ongoing topic on that subject.   

Calls to various test numbers using GV work perfectly. I believe all of them to be VOIP numbers. 

It either works with a given number or it doesn't work. it doesn't matter how we call:
--  Dialing **3 1-234-567-8901 from the telphone
--  Dialing xx# where xx is a speed dial in either format, i.e.
            sp3(12345678901)   (or)  **312345678901

Bummer