News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Move Obi200 from RingCentral to GV not working

Started by llamadave, July 04, 2018, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llamadave

My Obi200 was working fine on RingCentral and another one for my home phone is working fine on the same router.  I canceled the RingCentral account yesterday (price kept going up and GV is all I needed), deleted the Obi200 device from obitalk.com, did a factory reset on the device, then added it to a new Google Voice account with a new phone number.  The GV number rings forwarded cell phones, but not the phone on the Obi200, and when calling out from the Obi200 I get the message from Google "Cannot complete your call. Please try again."  In the GV new and legacy pages I see no mention anywhere anything about "chat" or "obi" as I read in some of the directions should be there. On the legacy settings for my other house phone I see the obi device listed as a phone device, but I see no way to add that on the new account.

So what should I try next?  Do I just need to wait a few days for the SIP settings somewhere to propagate?

David

lrosenman

I believe the issue is two-fold:
1) OBI FirmWare 5897EX has a bug
2) Google has a bug on the auto conversion.

You might try downgrading to 5859EX and force it to do the conversion.  This may get the Obi SIP device to appear.  In my case I have Obi SIP device showing on the portal, and I can make outgoing calls via the Obi on that GV#, but do not get incoming calls.

Let us know how it goes.

llamadave

Thank you.  Your suggestion worked! But it took me some time to figure it out, and I had to do it twice for an unknown reason, so I will explain with hopes of helping others.  The instructions in the forum and web articles are mostly out of date and fragmented.

I went to the local IP address of my Obi200 and logged in.  Under System Management I found "Device Update" and saw I needed to download the file for the out-of-date firmware 5859EX.  So I searched obitalk for firmware downloads and discovered Obihai only officially provides the latest one.  A search on this forum for 5859 finally turned up a post with this link: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw which I was able to download.  I installed that on my obi then without much delay I clicked on "Google Voice set-up" on my configuration page, and clicked through the several pages as I had several times before.  Then I went to Google Voice legacy settings and there was my ObiTalk device!  So I tried the phone and no luck, no calls in or out to the device.  So I went back to the settings and saw that the new firmware had already been replaced by the latest version.  So I downgraded the firmware again, this time quickly trying to disable the auto provisioning.  I did change that setting, but maybe not properly or too late since the page went dead again while it installed the latest firmware again.  After that I tried the phone one more time and it worked, both incoming and outgoing!  So it seems that I am all set now.  I confess that I probably did some other things between these steps and don't remember the details.

I will try to answer any questions based on about 2 days of my efforts if others have problems.

David