News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question on voip.ms (or other voip providers) in addition to GV

Started by tome, August 29, 2011, 07:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tome

I have an Obi110 connected to GV.  I ported my home number to GV and it seems to be working nicely with GV.  I would like to have 911 dialing capability, so I assume that means I need a voip provider.  If that is the main use I (obviously) want to pay as little as possible. I was thinking about voip.ms.  If I understand their information correctly, if I want a phone number from them I have to pay them monthly for it.  Do I need a phone number from them (or any voip provider) if my use is mainly placing calls?  Can I send my GV number in callerid to them (for a 911 call, for example)?  What else might I want a "real" voip provider do for me in addition to GV?

Tom

tome

I found this thread which answered some of my questions: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=749.0

But I am still curious, do I have to have a DID number with a voip provider (like voip.ms or callcentric) to use their services?  And, can I send my GV number in callerid when I make a 911 call (or other outbound call) through SP2 to a voip provider?

Tom

lhm.

You do not need a DID from VoiP.ms, as you can use your GV number in their caller ID config section for 911 calls and for any local or international calls through them. They make a good failover option should GV ever go down. You can also make call through iNum via VoIP.ms for free. However to receive calls through them you will have pay .25 cents a month for a virtual DID.

tome

Quote from: lhm. on August 30, 2011, 06:07:18 AM
You do not need a DID from VoiP.ms, as you can use your GV number in their caller ID config section for 911 calls and for any international calls through them.

lhm.,
Thanks for the reply.  I read in another thread something about voip.ms not forwarding your callerid to the 911 service.  Do you know if that is true?

Quote from: lhm. on August 30, 2011, 06:07:18 AM
You can also make call through iNum via VoIP.ms for free. However to receive calls though them you will have pay .25 cents a month for a virtual DID.

What is iNum?

Thanks again,
Tom

lhm.

I read the same thing. When you set up your 911 account you give your address and your phone # during setup. The emergency center gets that info through the 911 system.

See here http://inum.net/

Everton

Quote from: lhm. on August 30, 2011, 06:17:10 AM
I read the same thing. When you set up your 911 account you give your address and your phone # during setup. The emergency center gets that info through the 911 system.

Do you currently use VOIP.ms for e911?  When I initially setup service with them, I sent them an email to inquiry if you need to purchase a DID from them in order to setup e911 and they told me explicitly that you have to have a DID from them in order to setup e911.  Were they lying to me?  Also, are you saying that you can use the GV number associated with say, SP1 as your call back number for VOIP.ms e911 service?  I'm currently paying $0.99 per month for that DID and really do not need or use that number.  Can you please confirm?

tome

I sent both voip.ms and CallCentric email asking to clarify their pricing/policy for (primarily) e911 services.

voip.ms will not allow you to have e911 without first getting a phone number from them.  So, you pay $0.99 - $2.00/mo for a phone number (variation depends on where you are located) + $1.50/mo for e911 services.  Total $2.49 - $3.50/mo.  There is a one time setup fee of $1.50 for 911 plus $0.50 for the account.
Also, voip.ms will not pass your (external) caller-id info to the call center, they pass their internal number instead.  This is, of course, registered with the call center so they know it is associated with the right address.

CallCentric will allow you to get e911 without charging additionally for the number.  Their 911 service is 1.50/mo which you can get along with their Pay Per Call plan.   They also will not pass external caller-id info.  As far as I can tell there are no one time set up fees, but I am not 100% sure about that part.

Tom

tome

I signed up for CallCentric, so a clarification on my last message...

Call centric does charge a one time 1.50 setup fee for e911.  Also they require a 5.00 deposit which is used for charging your calls to - not really a "fee", but something to be aware of.

Tom

lhm.

Quote from: Everton on August 30, 2011, 08:42:13 AM
Quote from: lhm. on August 30, 2011, 06:17:10 AM

Do you currently use VOIP.ms for e911?  When I initially setup service with them, I sent them an email to inquiry if you need to purchase a DID from them in order to setup e911 and they told me explicitly that you have to have a DID from them in order to setup e911.  Were they lying to me?  Also, are you saying that you can use the GV number associated with say, SP1 as your call back number for VOIP.ms e911 service?  I'm currently paying $0.99 per month for that DID and really do not need or use that number.  Can you please confirm?

While I have an account with Voipms with a virtual DID and GV# as callerID. I do not use their e911 service, as I use RingCentral for e911. I have since verified your info on e911 with  Voip.ms and I stand corrected.