News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

One way audio on outgoing calls only / GV

Started by magnolia, July 05, 2018, 01:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnolia

Hi -

Thanks for any advice on the below :-)

Using obi200 with a POTS handset connected to it.

GV successfully registered to the device.

When I receive a call - two way audio is working fine.

When I place a call outgoing, there is no audio coming back from the other party. But they can hear me fine.

I am using a Unifi USG gateway, have tried disabling SIP at the firewall - no luck.
Call Status in obi dashboard shows both parties using G711u.

Can anyone advise how I should troubleshoot?

Many thanks

WillSmith

I am having the same problem: if I receive the call I can hear the calling party and they can hear me. If I place the call from my POTS phone connected to my OBI200, the person I called can hear me, but I can't hear them at all. The problem exists no matter whether I call someone's cell phone or landline phone. Calls to the OBI test line (**9 222 222 222) work fine (I hear my voice echoing). My OBI200 was working great for at least a year without any issues or changes to my equipment at all - now this problem has appeared. HELP PLEASE!

drgeoff

Over the last week or two the forum has been chock full of posts about OBi/GV "no audio" problems.  It is difficult to come to any other conclusion except that the OBi/GV implementation is not always working correctly and it is NOT (in most cases) caused by end-user error.  Whether the problem is with OBi's firmware or GV's infrastructure is difficult to tell.

Would be nice to have some acknowledgement that Obihai/Polycom/Plantronics (or whatever they are called this week) and Google are aware of the issue and working to fix it.

magnolia

I concur.

Timing of XMPP shutdown / rise of audio issues suggest to me its time to keep my head down for a week or two and hope it resolves!

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on July 05, 2018, 04:23:56 PM
Whether the problem is with OBi's firmware or GV's infrastructure is difficult to tell.

Don't discount the possibility that the ObiTalk portal is the culprit.  I'm tempted to try the crowdsourced, third-party firmware from obifirmware.com and register directly with google.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on July 06, 2018, 07:42:18 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 05, 2018, 04:23:56 PM
Whether the problem is with OBi's firmware or GV's infrastructure is difficult to tell.

Don't discount the possibility that the ObiTalk portal is the culprit.  I'm tempted to try the crowdsourced, third-party firmware from obifirmware.com and register directly with google.
That indicates you don't understand the function of the portal.  The portal is used to configure your OBi device.  The portal plays no part whatever (neither call set up, nor audio transmission nor cleardown) in the calls between your Obi and Google Voice (or other Service Providers).  The only calls which use OBi servers are calls which use the Obitalk network.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on July 06, 2018, 07:56:59 AM
That indicates you don't understand the function of the portal.  The portal is used to configure your OBi device.  The portal plays no part whatever (neither call set up, nor audio transmission nor cleardown) in the calls between your Obi and Google Voice (or other Service Providers).  The only calls which use OBi servers are calls which use the Obitalk network.

That's not what I meant.  I meant the configuration script (or whatever) the portal is currently using is...  wrong.  Or at least that's a possibility in my mind, that it's out of sync with the current firmware or doing something else wrong.  Why else would I, after a fresh GV setup on the portal, be seeing a Peer RTP Address of 74.125.39.26:19305(relay), which someone (possibly you?) told me was associated with the XMPP version of GV, when I initiate a phone call?

GPz1100

Quote from: drgeoff on July 06, 2018, 07:56:59 AM

The portal's job is to configure the device to connect to gv.  For those who's accounts are still on the xmpp platform, conversion *should* occur the first time the obi (configured for gv sip) connects to the gv account.  Based on comments in a number of these threads, it appears this is not happening.  It's uncertain whether the issue is in the 5897 firmware, obitalk portal, or changes at google.  Based on various success posts (here/dslr), it appears downgrading to the 5859 firmware and reattempting provisioning seems to convert the account properly and issue is resolved.

As cumbersome as it is it generate one's own oauth2 credentials, using the modded firmware (obifirmware.com) along with these credentials has generated successful gv sip accounts each and every time for me.  Unfortunately, once one is on the official 5859 firmware, flashing the modded firmware is no longer possible (because of signature checks).  So customers are SOL trying to get things worked.  Not to mention, pushing a new buggy firmware on the day before a holiday (7/3) was brilliant planning!

WillSmith

UPDATE: I tested my OBI200 today - appears to be working properly now (I can hear the other party whether I initiate or receive the call).

vbprof